INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Why you should use a GPS dongle.

• Thank you received: 140
I really don’t see what all the hype is about in this thread, a GPS is a great add on for my kit, and it gives all the needed info to the system, it is not, as has been said a bad thing at all and works very well. It only sets the time and position once during the initial set up of ekos during a session, the default setting is to not refresh...now if you were to start refreshing all the item then yes, that would not be good, but this just isn’t the case...so my GPS UBLOX dongle will stay put..... :)
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 4 months ago #62687
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Yes, I did have to configure a /dev/PPS device. The RPI OS setups what is provided by the vendor.

Yes, I did consult this PDF before purchasing and using. I read this statement.

Future u-blox receivers are likely to employ multiple GNSS system times and/or receiver local times (in order to support multiple GNSS systems in parallel), so users should not rely on UBX messages
that report GNSS system time or receiver local time being supported in future. It is therefore recommended to give preference to those messages that report UTC time.

Also, USB dongle and GPIO dongles are two different things. Sufficient to say, the USB version is not producing this error. And given the GPIO pin out identified, this is still a local configuration issue and not a universal alert. As this statement attests, I can confidently use UTC time. Wow! KSTARS uses UTC also. That makes it a win for me.

Here is another.

6.6 Real Time Clock
u-blox receivers contain circuitry to support a real time clock, which (if correctly fitted and powered) keeps time while the receiver is otherwise powered off. When the receiver powers up, it attempts to use the real time clock to initialise receiver local time and in most cases this leads to appreciably faster first fixes.

I added an RTC to assist with faster locks. Also, a state of Static is when the movement Delta is near 0. Then drift is less likely when Static. With limited GPIO pins, USB is the better option. Two options exist for 3V RTC devices. Most exhaust fans block pin 1. I used the second 3V pin group. This allowed use of the RTC.
3 years 4 months ago #62689
  • Thank you received: 30
Just to clarify: what a GPIO dongle is? Is the term referring to what is otherwise called a 'hat' ?
Sorry for my limited English skills and stupid question, but this thread is getting a bit messy to me due to the colliding (or maybe not so much) opinions.
So I try to clearly understand all the details.
3 years 4 months ago #62691
  • Thank you received: 15

There's no hype. I had a discussion with Jasem about this, and he asked that I make a post about it, and submit an article via the "Research" link above (which doesn't work). Technical posts which provide advice contrary to the "conventional wisdom" always receive pushback and questions, as they should. Such discussion tests the knowledge presented, and aids in understanding. Unfortunately, it's the Internet, and so such posts always attract lots of bombastic ignorance as well.

Where the post went south of right and wrong, was when someone here with Moderator rights, abused the authority they were entrusted with, and proceeded to repeatedly modify what I've written, without notice to me or any other reader, or in support of any rule. They did it purely to appease their own ego.

If this is permitted here, I won't be posting here again.
3 years 4 months ago #62693
Brian, you are correct the title should NOT have been changed. I apologize for this and changed it back. I will lock this thread and will try to add it to the articles soon.
3 years 4 months ago #62697
  • Thank you received: 18
"Yes, I did have to configure a /dev/PPS device. The RPI OS setups what is provided by the vendor.

I added an RTC to assist with faster locks. Also, a state of Static is when the movement Delta is near 0. Then drift is less likely when Static. With limited GPIO pins, USB is the better option. Two options exist for 3V RTC devices. Most exhaust fans block pin 1. I used the second 3V pin group. This allowed use of the RTC. "

I am interested in the details of how you configured your pi to use both the RTC and the USB GPS ... can you post or provide in a PM ?
3 years 4 months ago #62701
Time to create page: 0.958 seconds