INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars on latest Raspberry Pi OS

• Thank you received: 559
I tried upgrading to the latest release of Raspberry Pi OS, released Dec 2 www.raspberrypi.org/software/operating-systems/
and am having two blocking issues.
  • My QHY guide camera doesn't seem to connect (and qhy_ccd_test fails saying no camera found). All other devices connect.
  • I can't seem to setup the udev persistent serial ports for my mount and focuser like I used to indilib.org/support/tutorials/157-persis...al-port-mapping.html So in order to connect to the mount and focuser, I need to specify e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1 which may flip.
When I switch back to my old SDCard, with the older Raspberry Pi OS, everything works fine.

Anyone else seeing this, or better, anyone have a suggestion for how to fix?
Thanks,
Hy

PS The reason I tried to upgrade was I was trying to attach an inexpensive SSD to my RPi. Booting off of USB is now standard in the Raspberry Pi OS, and that worked flawlessly.
3 years 3 months ago #64142

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

No issue at all with all my devices in latest raspbian OS, released Dec 2. Even my ASI120MC USB2.0 and my qhy168C also connected. All my udev rules running fine too.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Tom.
3 years 3 months ago #64147
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 17
I am also running the latest Kstars release 3.5.0 on a newly updated SD card (RPi 4), for the first time with equipment. And I have had some quirkiness starting up (I copied all my home directories from another working SD with Kstars 3.4.3). Kstars crashed a couple of times (randomly) when imaging with the ZWO533. The solves and syncs using the ZWO120 were fine, a little slower than when I ran things on the Laptop. I had an issue with the mount, a Dome simulator kept showing up in the mount configuration and it would not moved if the dome was locked. I have to keep blanking that out in the options tab. After several crashes and restarting Kstars it seems to have settled down? No problem moving to a target, and imaging for multiple minutes, now. I also tried PHD2 for guiding and it seems to be working well also.

I have crash logs, I will look at them later.

Ron
3 years 3 months ago #64151

FWIW, I started over. I realized I changed many things at once:
  • RPi4 --> RPi4-8Gb,
  • new RPi. OS,
  • switching to an SSD,
  • new usb3 hub for SSD
and on top of that, installing a development environment on a RPi is complex in itself.

Bottom line, it's working now, except for the udev rules, and I'm not sure what was wrong,

Slightly longer summary
I was more conservative. This time I brought up the new system on a new SD Card with the new OS, using the new hub, but not the SSD. I installed Indi and KStars (3.5.0) from the Astroberry PPA (www.indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html) and configured everything as I like, and pretty painlessly got everything working. At that point I roughly followed www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boot-raspberry-pi-4-usb (except no firmware update was necessary anymore after the new RPi OS update), copied the (working) SD Card's contents onto the SSD, and booted from the SSD. It seemed to find my devices just fine. I'm now moving over to my development setup, but at least I know this hardware and OS should work.

If anyone has a clue about the udev issue, please let me know. I've been following Jasem's page for a few years: indilib.org/support/tutorials/157-persis...al-port-mapping.html and it always has worked. Using that I had been making two symbolic links, /dev/focuser and /dev/mount using the following placed in /lib/udev/rules.d/99-observatory.rules

# MoonLite Focuser
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="A601WGWD", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="focuser"

# EQMod Mount
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="FTA663FB", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="mount"

It has always worked until this new system. Here I get the following:

> ls -l /dev/mount /dev/focuser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec  8 21:49 /dev/focuser -> gpiochip3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec  8 21:49 /dev/mount -> gpiochip2
which is clearly not right.

Note, btw, that /lib/udev/rules.d/60-rpi.gpio-common.rules does reference gpiochip (though there's no SYMLINK):
SUBSYSTEM=="bcm2835-gpiomem", KERNEL=="gpiomem", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", KERNEL=="gpiochip*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'chown root:dialout /sys/class/gpio/export /sys/class/gpio/unexport ; chmod 220 /sys/class/gpio/export /sys/class/gpio/unexport'"
SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", KERNEL=="gpio*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'chown root:dialout /sys%p/active_low /sys%p/direction /sys%p/edge /sys%p/value ; chmod 660 /sys%p/active_low /sys%p/direction /sys%p/edge /sys%p/value'"
Thanks,
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom
3 years 3 months ago #64157

• Thank you received: 15
Hmmm..... Weird there.

BTW, I will still stick to my stable RPI4 4GB system from now on. Not planning to change it. My reason for not changing rpi4 4gb to 8gb board is because of ASI120MC guide cam. :)

Hope you can settle everything soon.
3 years 3 months ago #64181

FWIW, I just discovered that this is a reported issue: github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3989
and that there is a workaround--running the following two commands for my two ports:
sudo udevadm test $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB0)
sudo udevadm test $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB1)

Sure enough, after typing this I get the following instead of gpiochip*:
> ls -l /dev/focuser /dev/mount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec  9 10:04 /dev/focuser -> ttyUSB1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec  9 10:04 /dev/mount -> ttyUSB0
so I've put these in /etc/rc.local, and hopefully all my issues with the new system will be resolved.

BTW, @TomAstro, my reasons for upgrading my astro computer were not so much the 8Gb RPi (though as long as I was mucking around, I thought I'd move to that 8Gb RPi and the new RPi OS) but more-so for the upgrade to the SSD. I'd bought a cheap SSD in January and it had been sitting around collecting dust until this past weekend. In the end, though, I needed the following: SSD , SSD usb cable , bigger powered usb3 hub . It does seem a bit faster with the SSD in general, and MUCH faster for fileIO operations.

What would be cool would be a compact RPi4 package with cooling, powered usb3 slots and place to insert an SSD.

I'll give it a real test next time the skies are clear, but at this point I've proven that all the devices are connected and seem to work (i.e. take pictures, move the mount).

Hy
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Hy Murveit.
3 years 3 months ago #64183

• Thank you received: 0
I struggled with this problem for some time and found a solution or rather the reason it happens. Let me explain and hopefully it will help someone.

My problem manifested itself a little different. With all my usb/serial devices plugged in and powered at the time I booted the pi, all was good, sometimes. If I unplugged/plugged in a device, my dev rules where ignored. They would show up connected to gpiochipN or somewhere in the usb bus. Just as an aside, I also have a PoleMaster that could be started as a regular user under one os kernel, but after an upgraded could only be started as root. Udev rules where a constant source of wasted time and effort.

The breakthrough came after much research, trial, error, and a revelation. The revelation? The kernel version and module versions where not the same. I had a recent kernel with no matching modules directory. Verify with :
uname -r
ls /lib/modules

The solution was simple and this is right from raspberrypi.org
First, update your system's package list by entering the following command:
sudo apt update
Next, upgrade all your installed packages to their latest versions with the following command:
sudo apt full-upgrade
Note that full-upgrade is used in preference to a simple upgrade, as it also picks up any dependency changes that may have been made.

This really made a difference in the performance of my rig all around, besides fixing the udev and PoleMaster problems. In fact I doubt I will be doing any hardware upgrades soon, I'm that happy with the way it is working. I did add an rtc to my pi's for $8 US each.

Tim
3 years 3 months ago #64241

Tim,

I want to make sure I understand the issue. I ran those commands, and I see:
> uname -r
5.4.79-v7l+
> ls /lib/modules
5.4.79+  5.4.79-v7+  5.4.79-v7l+  5.4.79-v8+

Since in tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/lib.html it says:Does that mean that everything's fine with my system (even though I had that udev issue)? (there is no "build" below any of the kernel version directories)

Thanks,
Hy

PS I ordered a 2nd SSD. My plan/hope is to do a full copy, using the RPi's SD Card Copier, from one SSD to the other before any full-upgrade, since I finally do have a working version.
3 years 3 months ago #64305

• Thank you received: 182
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

is actually part of the script I am using whenever I complile indi and kstars from the source. Just so to make sure that all dependencies and drivers are always up-to-date.
3 years 3 months ago #64306

• Thank you received: 0
it looks like your kernel version and module versions are the same. I’m not an authority on linux, i’ll admit. But, as El Corazon says, ‘just to make sure.’
It could be there is some other dependency not satisfied, so i would try an update and full-grade. As always, WMMV.

Tim
3 years 3 months ago #64545

FWIW, full-upgrade is a pretty heavy hammer to use in a script like this.
It may upgrade the OS, if a new version is available, which can take an hour or two.
3 years 3 months ago #64564

Also, FWIW, "sudo apt update ; sudo apt dist-upgrade" did not fix the udev problem.
I still need the workaround where I place the following near the end of /etc/rc.local
udevadm test $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB0)
udevadm test $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB1)
Hy
3 years 3 months ago #64568

Time to create page: 0.738 seconds