INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alternatives to Raspberry Pi4?

• Thank you received: 19
In my obs, I switched from an RPi4 to a refurbished Intel NUC clone and run indiserver on that with a wired connection to the house. It is a refurb from circa 2015 I think - it's been in my obs for about 2.5 years, and has survived Winnipeg winters like a champ. It's fanless doesn't seem to mind temps as low as -30C or as warm as +35C (although I typicaly don't image at high temps).

When I take the gear out to the field, I use two RPi4 - one running indi server (4Gb model) and another (8Gb) model for Kstars, both booting from SSD. No issues with USB, but I do use a power hub as well, given two cameras, mount, and a focusser. No wifi: all wired and works well - I like the 1Gb throughput.

Everything runs ubuntu 20.04.

As an aside, it's amazing how we take things for granted. Even a few years ago, operating my gear like I do now would have been wishful thinking - now plate solving to do PA instead of drift alignment, automated focusing, capture, accurate GPS, accurate slews with plate solving, and I can run everything in the comfort of my home or trailer. Big thanks to all who have contributed. Retirement isn't that far off - perhaps I'll write a user manual for all this!

jmh
3 years 3 months ago #64191

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
I've been using an AAEON-UP core for some time now. At the time I got it being x64 based was an advantage as some vendors devices would not work on ARM computers. It also has USB3 and on board eMMC storage and RTC. The onboard wifi can accept an external antenna unlike the PI.
There is no on-board ethernet LAN but I just connect a gigabit adapter to the USB hub.
Normally I run wireless and save images to the eMMC. when finished I transfer them to my main computer via the gigabit LAN.
The only downside is that it lags behind on Ubuntu support as they need to port some patches to the kernel - currently 18.04 is supported and 20.04 is on its way.
up-shop.org/up-core-series.html
3 years 3 months ago #64194

• Thank you received: 3
FWIW, I have had good luck with a Hardkernel Odroid XU4 running Ubuntu. www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-xu4-special-price/ I have put it in an enclosure suitable for outdoors that has sufficient space for cable management. I use E-MMC for root (fast) and capture frames onto an SD card (64GB). Works fine off battery power (hours and hours...all night). With the XU4, I have experienced some issues using Zwo ASI120MC-S (which appears to reset the USB3 bus constantly...), but resolved by re-arranging the other usb devices (some are more tolerant of this behavior than others, it would appear). I'm currently using an external (usb powered) WIFI adapter (IOGear GWU627) that plugs into ethernet on the XU3 (I suspect this has better throughput than using USB).
3 years 3 months ago #64195

• Thank you received: 86
What is the point/benefit of running two RPI's in the field? Power draw is two-fold....
I am using just one and it works well.
I don't use VNC (in the field) - I use a 10" HDMI monitor.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
3 years 3 months ago #64206

I actually started having a problem with USB lately too. Starting with SM 1.5.4 and now with 1.5.5.
When everything runs on RPI - no problem, but often when I use a Windows client, one of my cameras is not functioning right.
I have two, of course - primary and guide.
Both cameras are connected/recognized but one of them wouldn't complete the image download. Sometimes the primary, sometimes the guide.
I need to reboot the RPI once or twice or trice to make both cameras to work. With Windows client. Wired connection. WIFI is active but not used.
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by maxthebuilder.
3 years 3 months ago #64207

• Thank you received: 420
Gary,

For my work I use several Raspberry Pi 4's and we have issues with the early models as well. It seems to originate in the firmware because the newer ones have a newer firmware and they run very stably. Have you considered either updating the firmware or buying a newer RPi4 and see if that solves the issue? As you write, many people report success (actually, I am one of those people having used four different RPi4s now without issues) and there must be a reason for that, right?

As Max writes, it may be due to using Windows KStars as a client. Have you tried connecting via VNC instead and seeing if that solves your issues?

It is of course very well possible that your RPi4s are falty but I'd want to make sure they are before spending potentially lots of money to solve an issue which may be solved for free.

Just my $0.02

Wouter
3 years 3 months ago #64209

Just FYI. My RPI4's are about a year apart but both show similar behavior.
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary McKenzie
3 years 3 months ago #64213

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic Alternatives to Raspberry Pi4?

Those camera hangs have turned lately, but I see these also when I connet 2 ASI cams to my Intel PC. (If I connect 2 diiferent makes eg ASI and Omegon no problem and no hangs) Looks more like a driver issue (timing) or a ZWO SDK issue.

Anyway I run an RPI4 and so far it works ok. Must say I connect everything on the RPI via a Pegasus Powerbox V2 and that makes it more stable.
And of course a good power supply for the RPI is a must.

Paul
3 years 3 months ago #64214

• Thank you received: 0
Now that I have everything satisfactorily running on a Pi3a, albeit slowly, I'm looking to upgrade to something more suited myself.

I'm leaning towards the Asus Tinkerboard mainly for the "SSD Like" 16gb onboard memory, and a 4x increase in RAM vs. the Pi3.
3 years 3 months ago #64217

• Thank you received: 420
+1 for a good power supply. I use all RPi4s with a good battery and with 2 ZWO cameras. No powered hub. The ASI120MC-S is connected to the USB hub of the ASI2600MC or ASI6200MM which gets connected to one of the USB3 ports of the RPi4. No issues whatsoever.

Wouter
3 years 3 months ago #64218

• Thank you received: 19

The point of two RPi4's is that I am running everything from inside my travel trailer - too cold to sit outside.

jmh
3 years 3 months ago #64220

• Thank you received: 182

The only issue I have with the Pi4 is that under Ubuntu 20.04 the network periodically disconnects. Note that this has nothing to do with the internal Wifi, since the same thing happens when I use an external dongle. All my peripherals are connected to a powered USB3 hub, to prevent any excessive power drain on the USB bus. All devices are fed to the Pi through a single USB3 connection from the hub.

Strangely, the disconnects happen only when I am connecting to a Wifi network, NOT when I am using the internal (or external) Wifi to create a Hotspot. So to avoid being locked out of the Pi, I am now routinely running it using the internal Wifi to create a Hotspot and the external Wifi to connect to my Wifi router. Also strangely, I cannot restart the Wifi connection once it has stopped working periodically and for unknown reasons when I enter the Pi through the Hotspot connection. It will never find the network again unless I restart.

That is my only concern with the Pi4, otherwise it just works like a dream machine. By now I have use 6 of them, 3 4 GB models and 3 8 GB models.

The only one that fatally failed on my was one that got doused when my sprinkler system came on one night and submerged the Pi. I could never resurrect it.

So yes, I am miffed! These Pis should really be water-proof. I mean, what were they thinking!? ;)

Jo
3 years 3 months ago #64240

Time to create page: 1.277 seconds