INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Finding Satellites in KStars

• Thank you received: 133
Hi,

I just saw that this week there will be a solar ISS at my location. So I wanted to have a look at that in kstars (running kstars-3.5.1-1765_gd15e198bd).
It doesn't show a single satellite :ohmy:

So I went for Data->Updates->Update Satellites orbital elements. I checked in ~/.local/share/kstars, and there are indeed a lot of new tle files.
But When I try a Find (Ctrl-F) and select Satellites as type the list is empty. Even after a restart.

So I went for Configure->Satellites. Show Satellites was checked. But it seems in the individual list all were deselected. I selected ISS, pressed OK (because 'Apply' was greyed out) - list was still empty.
I finally had to switch off 'Show Satellites', then 'Apply', then select Satellites, select 'Show Satellites', then press 'Apply' again.

Now the Find window does have entries. But the way to get there was highly non-intuitive...... Maybe someone can cross-check if that indeed is a general issue, or just here on my system?
3 years 3 months ago #64487

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Joel on topic Finding Satellites in KStars

I had the same issue as you, satellites were not populated in the 'find object' window. I followed your steps above, but the list still wouldn't populate. The solution I found was to restart KStars.
2 years 11 months ago #70167

• Thank you received: 2
2 years 11 months ago #70178

My kstars is not showing satellites. There are lots of .tle files in /home/bob/.local/kstars but they all say the data is available from a NOrAD site and updating the satellite positions via kstars just replaces those empty files.

Running kubuntu (ubuntu 20) with kstars-bleeding.
1 year 6 months ago #86487

It's fixed in master.
1 year 6 months ago #86493

Thanks. I don't use the satellite tool very often but it is useful for plotting the trajectories of some of these hideous bright objects.
1 year 6 months ago #86514

• Thank you received: 33
It doesnt seem to work for me with 3.6.6 stable on MacOS. Tried the various combinations, restarts etc. with no luck.
7 months 2 weeks ago #94588

Working OK KStars 3.6.6 on Kubuntu Linux.
7 months 2 weeks ago #94590

When you go to Settings -> Configure KStars -> Satellites -> Geostationary ... do you see a bunch of satellites listed?
7 months 2 weeks ago #94591

• Thank you received: 133
Running self-compiled 3.6.6 here.
I updated the satellite data (which stopped with an error halfway, not finding Gorizont data; found no way to proceed past that point).
I can see them in the download list (clicking on the '>' symbol). With 'Show Satellites' enabled they are drawn on the star map, and I get info for them.

They do however not show up in the Find Object dialog, so I have no way to search for a specific one :(
7 months 2 weeks ago #94595

When I tried to update satellites, KStars stopped at Gorizont (said it could not find the server) then crashed.
When I do a Pointing search and select Satellites, the expected list appears and the GoTo is successful.
7 months 2 weeks ago #94598

• Thank you received: 33
On the Mac the interface looks like this
7 months 2 weeks ago #94626
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.025 seconds