INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Induino Meteostation wind gust

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

we have built and set up a small observatory on our school roof (see picture). The observatory is supposed to be automated using the Ekos scheduler. One of my students has built an Induino Meteostation according to the manual by Magnus Eriksen. Since the observatory is in an exposed location and has a quite large attack surface when the roof is open, we would like to expand the Meteostation to measuring wind and gust using a sensor like this: www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language...080-1090-wh4000.html

Has anyone expanded their Meteostation to measuring wind and gust and can give advice on how to modify the INDI Meteostation driver?

I would be thankful for any help,
Simon

P.S.: My solution for now is to use the Induino Meteostation together with OpenWeatherMap data through the Weather Meta driver. However, the wind data is not measured locally at the observatory.
3 years 3 months ago #64840
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
Have you considered the INDI "Weather Radio" weather subsystem and driver? It's based on the Meteostation and was developped by Wolfgang Reissenberger. If you use recent sensors with your Meteostation (i.e. BME280, TSL2591 and MLX90614 sensors) it should be compatible with Weather Radio with minimal, if any, changes. Weather Radio also supports the Davis Anemometer which may (or may not) work similarly as the one you are considering. The Davis wind speed sensor sends a pulse once every rotation, so speed is calculated as number of pulses per unit of time.

Weather Radio is meant to be run on an Arduino type controller (Arduino, Wemos D1...) and can connect via USB serial and/or WiFi. There is also a web server that can provide you weather info for periods of 6 hours to 30 days.

More info available at: github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/blob/ma...adme-WeatherRadio.md
3 years 3 months ago #64858

• Thank you received: 42
It appears your listed device WH4000 is supported by the weewx product -. www.weewx.com/hardware.html. That would provide viewing of local conditions. There might be the possibility of using the tie in to the Weather Radio driver:
indilib.org/forum/ekos/7287-weather-radio.html?start=156#64275
3 years 3 months ago #64869
Attachments:

Hi G_Ganon,

thanks for the reply and the info. I wasn't aware of Weather Radio but it sounds very nice. We are using a BMP180, a DHT22, a MLX90614 and a photo resistor in the Induino Meteostation together with a PRO Trinket 5V. Maybe we can adopt the Weather Radio code to work with these sensors and the wind speed sensor www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language...080-1090-wh4000.html . If that doesn't work, I will just get a new set of sensors and give it a new try. The all sky camera seems very promising as well :-)

Cheers
Simon
3 years 3 months ago #64879

Hi wotalota,

thanks for your reply. I wasn't planning on using the whole WH4000 weather station but only the replacement anemometer. But Weather Radio seems great. I think I will give that a try.

Cheers
Simon
3 years 3 months ago #64880

Time to create page: 0.782 seconds