INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:New Polar Alignment Scheme and Features

• Thank you received: 138

I'm not totally confident.

AIUI you are saying that because the reference star you are aligning on is refracted the pole position correction must be refracted. I'm very unconvinced about that because the refraction error of the reference star will depend on where the star is. A star that's in the South will have a refraction error that is opposite to a reference star in the North.
I think that polar aligning to a couple of arc minutes is plenty good enough for a portable set up. Getting better than that would need something like the TPoint method available with the Software Bisque mounts where a precise alignment is determined using about 100 stars, then the mount is adjusted using the high precision mount screws
3 years 1 month ago #66749
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 54
Regarding the new Polar Alignment Scheme and crossing the Meridian, my Avalon M-Zero OBS (with the motorized polar alignment system) went through the procedure without problems as it does not need to flip when it crosses the Meridian. It went from Pollux, across the Meridian, to an area close to the Pleiades, and the correction triangle help me correct in altitude very easily. I have a small problem with the azimuth control so I did not do the correction on it, but being about 20' from the Pole, I can live with that until the -20C changes to a more pleasant temperature so I can try to fix the problem.

Great work, thanks a lot.
3 years 1 month ago #66763
  • Thank you received: 133

Yes, of course. I was especially referring to the case that you align close to the pole. Then your reference star will also be close to the pole, and the main offset will be the refraction at the pole. The remaining error would be the differential refraction within the FOV of the camera, but that is in the range of arc seconds (±1.5 for a FOV of 2 degrees at my LAT 29).

You are indeed correctly stressing the fact that what pole you align to only depends on the reference star that you use for correction. I had initially assumed one would get different results for the PAE whether the measurement is done close to the pole or at low declination. But indeed, it always computes it in JNow, so it should always be the same error (modulo some small error coming from differential refraction).

Yeah, even my permanent mount is some 4-5 arc min off, I had not bothered to fine-tune it better. I will do, next time I'm up, if only to test the new PA routine. But you wouldn't need TPoint for good PA. That is really only needed for perfect pointing/goto. But who needs that nowadays with StellarSolver and Slew-to-Target :P.
OK, and for unguided tracking.......
3 years 1 month ago #66792
  • Thank you received: 4
@Hy

so much work, such a clean code I barely understand at first glance.

Thank you!

This is pedantic, I know, sorry:

Until now I had no clear skies to test the polar alignment routine with my mount.
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
3 years 1 month ago #66884
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 133

So I did this last night. I had prepared for some time outside, with warm jacket, gloves etc. - but no need really. Ran the routine, moved the star along the lines (with only 5' PAE they were indeed accurate this time :lol:), then re-ran it for a test: 12" and 13" remaining error. Wow. Almost a pity I'm on a permanent pier and won't use that often....

I checked the guiding afterwards. At the default setting DEC had a min move of 50ms, something like .4". With that I only had a DEC guide pulse every few minutes. I've then reduced it to 30ms to better match the 0.2" of GPG. I left it running for a while, and actually experienced the best guiding I've seen so far, going down below 0.3" total RMS. That was at 2100mm focal length :woohoo:
Too bad I wasn't prepared for imaging. I wanted to test my new Baader FFC and had no guide scope, as I had used parts of the extension tubes of it. So that guiding had been with the main cam/telescope and the FFC (at 2.3 x).

And, needless to say, now that things are so nicely set up for the coming New Moon, we again get weather alerts for massive rain/snow storms.
3 years 1 month ago #66891
  • Thank you received: 5
This sounds like a very nice feature ! Many thanks !!!
Currently, due to weather conditions, I am limited to simulation. I am struggling to set up my simulator with deliberate erros. I tried various settings within the "Simulator Config", i.e. PAE, EQ PE, but I only get some misalignemt for "normal" alignment. With the PAA I always get a perfect PA. Can someone hint me in the right direction, please ?
3 years 1 month ago #66910
  • Thank you received: 4
@Dirk

This works for me: