INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Location and mount slewing wrong way.

• Thank you received: 3
A shame that you have fallen out with indi / linux, from my point of view it has its problems but linux being open source, which does not happen in windows, it has an active community that is more proactive to give a hand and correct problems, including this INDI community.
I hope you find and I find what the problem is so you continue with INDI / Astroberry

Sorry for mi bad English
Best Regards
3 years 1 month ago #67673

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mount slew issue like this are almost 99% related to the following:
1. Time or time zone is incorrect. This is not the case with your logs. Time and time zone both check out. The logs show all of this happening about 6 PM your time, I presume this is correct?
2. Location: You were not supposed to manually change the longitude. The log shows this: EQMod Mount : "[INFO] Observer location updated: Latitude 51:28:59.2 (51.4831) Longitude -2:39:00.0 (-2.65) "
This is incorrect, the longitude should have been left at 357:21:01 which is the correct value since INDI counts eastwards.

Now the logs do not show detailed EQMod communication going on. The INDI and Mount checkboxes need all to be checked. Usually, you'd want to power on EQMod at home position (Looking north with counter-weight down). Then from there, slew to a nearby star about 20 degrees or MORE away (Polaris should NOT be used). Then use "Capture and Solve" until the star is in the center of the frame. Usually subsequent GOTOs are then pretty accurate.

The final reason could be due to some incompatibility with EQStarProEQ5 , but the page says they're indeed compatible with INDI already.
3 years 1 month ago #67679

• Thank you received: 2
Knro,
Thank you for your reply. I have retried with location updated by kstars and conforming to my location i.e. longitude now correct. Still the same problem.

I statrt with scope in home position and the scope location when I slew seems completely wrong. I can even see the cursor of the scope moving in the wrong way. If I click on an object say andromeda galaxy and then tell it to go to, the cursor does not go to there but off in a completyely wrong direction. Logs attached.
3 years 1 month ago #67713
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0
DrWho,
The description of your problem matches exactly mine.
In my case it was the longitude that was wrong. The hemisphere obviously also needs to be the correct, and lastly the hour.
I suggest you have it gathering the hour from the system to troubleshoot, but ideally you would get coordinates and time from the GPS.
The key aspect is that if the time or longitude are wrong the calculated Zenith is pointing on the wrong direction.

One more critical aspect.
My DEC always starts with a full rotation Eastwards, regardless where the target is. I don’t know why, but it does once at the begging of a session IF I didn’t park at the end of the previous session. If I park it, it never does that full rotation. If I don’t park it, it always starts with a full rotation (once I start slewing)

Give it a try. Apart from these little tricks, I super pleased with the portability of the RPi.
3 years 1 month ago #67717

• Thank you received: 17

What if you don't have a GPS?
3 years 1 month ago #67718

No GPS shouldn’t be a big deal.
I got a super-cheap one on amazon... I think it was less than 10€...
Eitherway, if you set the system hour manually you won’t be too far off. Just double check the hour needed by the system (local, UTC, daylight savings, or similar).
3 years 1 month ago #67719

GPS isn't required. Thank you for the log, it looks fairly nominal. I just added a couple more lines of logs, but at any rate, I noticed PEC training was on:
[2021-02-23T18:05:17.234 UTC INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount :  "[WARNING] InquireFeatures(): Found RA PPEC training on "
[2021-02-23T18:05:17.236 UTC INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount :  "[WARNING] InquireFeatures(): Found DE PPEC training on "

Is this something you can turn off from the box?
3 years 1 month ago #67725

• Thank you received: 2
Tried again tonight. Took scope of mount and tried to see what would happen if I didnt abort go to. I selected Andromeda. It got there eventually but only after going all around the houses on the dec axis as you described i.e. it went pretty much 360 degrees. when I park the mount it then slews all the way back. Obviously, this is an impractical situation. I cannot take the scope off to slew to target all of the time.
What I do not understand is the software knows where thev target is and where the scope is supposed to be going. It will get it there, but only by going the wrong way around. This makes it unusable at the moment. Logs attached again.
WRT PAC I cannot find a way to turn off in the mount drive unit.
3 years 1 month ago #67748
Attachments:

Have you purged all configuration at the mount tab?
Every time you make a correction (sync) it accumulates there. Often it's easier to start with a clean slate.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Tiago Lopes.
3 years 1 month ago #67756

• Thank you received: 17

That often solves my problems of this kind. And one has to manually set the align and sync settings in eqmod each time it starts up, as they seem to not be saved even when "save" is pressed.
3 years 1 month ago #67762

• Thank you received: 5
I am having the same problem with iOptron V3 ...
Done full purge and re-install ... as well as a format of OS and stable driver install.
It keeps crashing my mount as it goes in the wrong direction. Super frustrating.

I will look to see if i can allow it to go a full 360 with no telescope on.
I was thinking of trying to issue the commands from Stellarium to see if it still happens.

--Edit:
I managed to get this to happen again, and my fix does not work in all cases...
I will keep testing until i can get to the bottom of this, because it is super frustrating.

Regards
Chris
Christopher | Sussex England | n2042.blogspot.com
iOptron GEM45 | Altair Mobile Pier | TSPhoton 154 @ F3.7
ASI 294MM Pro | ASI EFW | ASI EAF | ASI 120MM
Mini PC | Quad 4GB 64GB 5G | Juice USB Harness
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by christopher.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68128

If this is a time sync issue, GPS NMEA driver isn't properly updating the iOptron mount driver and/or KStars?
3 years 3 weeks ago #68160

Time to create page: 1.057 seconds