INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron CEM120 and Ekos/INdi

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I'm considering upgrading my Losmandy G11 mount to an iOptron CEM120, but I want to make sure everything works before actually doing anything. So: how is the status of using this mount with Ekos? I've seen some problem reports here, but does it generally work well? (I'm talking the no encoder version of CEM120)

And how does the mount connect to Ekos? As I understand it, there is no USB port on the mount - or am I wrong?

Magnus
3 years 1 month ago #67994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38
I am pretty sure the CEM120 has a USB 2.0 port on the control head and both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports on the mount for access to the ports on the dovetail.

www.ioptron.com/product-p/7300.htm

I use both the CEM60EC and CEM120EC with Ekos without any issues.

I can use the CEM120EC to also connect through Ethernet (INDI driver also allows ethernet access to the CEM70 and CEM120 mounts)

I will say I did have to make some minor adjustments to the Dec meshing (Gear meshing) but have it working fantastic now. I usually get guiding down to less than .5 RMS on good seeing days I can get down to .2 RMS.

Love this mount.

I do have one gripe about it. I do want a Drop in mount clamp to allow me to easily get scopes on and off the mount.

I ordered one of the Baader plates that should arrive on Wednesday and I will see how I can get it to mate to the CEM120 top plate.

agenaastro.com/baader-pan-3-eq-dual-dove...an-eqdx-2451566.html

I use INDI server running on a Raspberry Pi 4 (Astroberry.io) and control everything with that, and I use KStars / EKOS on me Windows 10 Desktop inside to link to the Astroberry.
3 years 1 month ago #68000

• Thank you received: 155
I have a CEM120 EC2 and run it perfectly with EKOS. There are FOUR ways to connect the CEM120 to EKOS.
- WIFI. (The cEM120 has built-in wifi)
- USB2
- RS232
- Ethernet

I use Ethernet. It connects to my observatory network, along with a NanoPC T4 that runs my INDI server.
Connection is flawless.

And using SEP Multistar guiding, I am consistently achieving a guide RMS of 0.25 or less. (see attachment)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonny Cavazos
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Peter Kennett.
3 years 1 month ago #68002
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Thanks a lot, that sounds very good. However, I'm thinking of the no-encoder version, CEM120.... maybe not quite as low RMS with that?

Anyway, it sounds as if it was easier and more flexible connecting to Ekos than I first thought. I now feel more comfortable in going forward with these plans.

As a follow up: what do you have on the mounts? I'm planning on having a C11 side-by-side with a 100 mm refractor and a guidescope, setup is around 28 kgs.

Magnus
3 years 1 month ago #68005

• Thank you received: 38
I have a variety of scopes. RASA 11 - Mak-Newt 190 - TV127 - ES 140CF. It handles all my stuff with no problem. I was also thinking about doing dual saddle sometime later.

Unguided mount is pretty good as I understand with guiding. I am very happy with my EC versions. I should have gotten the EC2 120, but passed because they weren't in stock at the time.
3 years 1 month ago #68006

• Thank you received: 155
I have a C11 EdgeHD and WO Star71.
It’s mounted in my observatory in central NM.
3 years 1 month ago #68007

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds