INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pegasus UPBv2 constantly gives a warning about Dew aggresiveness

• Thank you received: 8
Well that's a huge problem here, I only have Macs and Linux devices in my house and even my Mac is a M1.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68049

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56
I have just asked Pegasus if there is a non Windows way of upgrading.
There is a test version of Parallels available for the M1 but no idea if that would work.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68051

Sounds like Pegasus are already looking into this for you
3 years 3 weeks ago #68052

Yeah I've already contacted them. One of their support staff is going to look at seeing if the app runs in Wine. At worst I will install a Win10 developer VM on my Linux server and try that.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68053

• Thank you received: 140
I get here constantly messages too, but related to Focuser, and I am on the latest FW so it makes no difference, and I have contacted pegasus who are pretty much useless at helping....I am thinking of selling it and moving to a different type old power box due to the complete lack of help from Pegasus as I have several issues, and all they say is “we don’t maintain the INdI driver” all the time....
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68054
Attachments:

They are actually correct that they do not maintain the Indi driver, we do.
These messages do not effect the way the driver works in any way but indicate that there was an error receiving the status data. I could just remove the messages but I would like to get to a state where they no longer occur.

I have been running both the latest firmware and Indi driver for a while now without issues.
I will upgrade to the latest Indilib to make sure there is no difference between the driver I have been using and the currently released driver.

If you could post the log I can check with them if there are still known issues with the serial communication.
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Rishi Garrod.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68060

You are correct that these messages are harmless but as a developer myself seeing warning messages make me concerned. Just so I know, does the Ekos client truncate the message output after so many lines or does it keep all the messages in the client? Because if it truncates old messages that is fine but if it keeps all the messages that could chew up a lot of memory given how quickly the errors happens and if doing an observing run will be a lot of these messages.

I think the issue I have found is that is that the INDI driver has been developed against the latest firmware rather than being defensive to check the firmware version of the UPB first.

Anyway, I'm trying at least get a windows VM to then hopefully install the latest firmware from that, but it's a real pain having to download 20GB developer VM just to install this firmware upgrade.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68065

The Indi drivers do track the major versions (so we test for V1 or V2 in the code) but Pegasus have made quiet a few changes recently to their firmware (almost daily at one point). Quite a few of these versions were not stable so I really don't want to support them and the advice is run the latest version. With the wisdom of hindsight it would have been better to do a version check on the "DA" command. There is not a way to load old firmware so from a development side it would be very difficult to ensure the code runs with every version and to be honest I would not have the time either.

The driver will not chew up memory. It reads the messages and then throws them away. These messages indicate that we sent a command and the response we received was not the expected one and in many cases is truncated.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68069

For now I've had to install VirtualBox and then grab a Win10 developer VM, free for 90 days, just to get this sorted. I can confirm that after flashing the firmware that this error has stopped.

This does bring up the fact that they use avrdude to flash the firmware. This is a GPL open-source package that runs on Linux, BSD, MacOS (via brew), and of course Win32. I will try to see if they are at least in future provide the Hex and instructions to perform a manual update. To me this would be a far better solution than saying back to me 'I strongly suggest finding a Windows PC and upgrading it there'.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68154

• Thank you received: 140

I have asked these questions of them in the past, and they have no intention of helping on this matter...they really used to be so helpful, but the last 12 months I have seen a different side to Pegasus customer service, it seems all about making money now and nothing else....
3 years 3 weeks ago #68155

Yeah I'm finding that out myself. So much for 'By amateur astronomers for amateur astronomers'. It's a shame given that they make sure they say its fully supported by INDI and INDIGO, and is fully compatible with Stellar Mate (along with The SkyX).
3 years 3 weeks ago #68164

• Thank you received: 0
Time to create page: 1.502 seconds