INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Getting started...

• Thank you received: 1
 Dear all,

I have been reading a few articles and posts, and I think I got a decent idea of how to get started. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me validate my initial plan. I am new to astronomy, and I trust experts will immediately spot any rookie mistake. :)

Objective
My 6yo would love to see Saturn up close. I based my research on the specs needed to distinguish Saturn's rings and moons. The plan is to start with that to then dive into astronomy together with my son. Since I am into RPis, and the budget is modest, I would like to make it also a fun, cheap project, adding auto-tracking and astrophotography to the mix.

Hardware
I am eyeing a Celestron NexStar 102 SLT (<£350). I have been advised on a minimum of 3" and 50x, and that model seems to be better. I guess I'll also need an RPi 4 2GB or superior, an RPi HD camera, a 1.25-inch C-mount adapter. Optionally, a touch-screen. I am still trying to understand if there is a mount for the RPi or better off with long cables.

Software
Astroberry or Stellarmate (I am assuming that besides the premium support, they both offer tracking and compatibility with HD camera). I am still unclear how the GPS would work.

How does it sound? Missing anything?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 1 week ago #68683

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Getting started...

Welcome to INDI forums!

All looks good except perhaps for RPI HD camera. While there is a driver for it, it's not as mature as the other drivers for different cameras. Might be better to get Toupcam/Altair/ZWO/QHY small cameras. A webcam would be an option if you can mount it and achieve focus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mirko Grewing
3 years 1 week ago #68694

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Mirko Grewing on topic Getting started...

Thanks, very good to know. By driver not being mature, do you mean that the quality is not as good as the hardware could support? Or that it's unstable? Or...?

Thanks!
3 years 1 week ago #68708

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Michael Siethoff on topic Getting started...

Maybe a second hand Canon Dslr body like 1000D for 100 bucks.
Much better than the Rpi HD camera.
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Michael Siethoff.
3 years 1 week ago #68709

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Getting started...

My main advice would be to join your local astronomy club, at least post-pandemic when meetups start again,
in addition to what you have planned.

While I find this a very rewarding hobby, it isn't a simple one and can be frustrating on startup.
Having experienced people who can show your and your son equipment and images "in person" is a great help.
I wouldn't have managed without mentorship from the wonderful folks at www.sjaa.net/
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Hy Murveit.
3 years 1 week ago #68734

Time to create page: 0.726 seconds