INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Internal guider questions

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Internal guider questions

Hy and all,

my struggle with my G-11's RA guiding has been documented here. Same duration RA+ and RA- pulses resulted in unequal movement while DE+ and DE- pulses resulted in equal movement. In order to sort things out I

- switched RA and DE motors, same result
- switched RA and DE gears, same result
- switched RA and DE worms, same result

The RA worm bearings were defective (much different from the DE worm bearings which were fine) so I was optimistic switching RA and DE worms including the bearings would bring my guiding back to mormal and harm DE performance but that did not materialize. Although the RA worm now runs much smoother than before, guiding did not improve and shows the same uneven movement in RA. So basically I had changed pretty much all mechanical components to no avail. IMO only two things that could cause this remained: 1. The Gemini controller or 2. Ekos software. As I don't have access to another Gemini to test with, I tried to eliminate Ekos pulse guiding from the list. I got my old ST4 cable out, set VIA: from "Losmandy Gemini" to "ASI 294" and BINGO!  While

pulse guiding calibration plots look like this   or this  

ST4 calibration plots look like this   or this  

Note the number of "steps in" (white dots) in RA. While with pulse guiding 8 or 9 steps in are needed to counter the 4 steps out, only 4 or 5 steps in are needed with ST4 guiding!

It appears to me something is not right with pulse guiding here.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
2 years 5 months ago #76485
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I have never looked at that part of the code.
If you calibrate with PhD2 (which would still use the Indi driver), do you still see this?

Hy
2 years 5 months ago #76486

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Internal guider questions

I will find out how to tie in PhD2 before I can answer this question. I haven't used PhD2 for years.
2 years 5 months ago #76490

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds