INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI sets wrong by-id port identification to PPBA

• Thank you received: 30
I just updated KStars/INDI to the last stable 1.9.0
Now port assignation is made using the dev/serial/by-id symlinks.

For the PPBA, INDI initially fails to connect using the default port name for the PPBA.
It only connects after an Auto Search.

Seems the default port name INDI is trying to connect is:
    "usb-Pegasus_Astro_PPBADV_revA_PPBA4PSFVS-if00-"
while the correct by-id name is:
    "usb-Pegasus_Astro_PPBADV_revA_PPBA4PSFVS-if00-port0"

Another problem is that the correct name is not saved with Options_> Save. Each time INDI is started it tries to connect first with the wrong name.

Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Joaquin.
2 years 11 months ago #70531
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nobody with the same issue ?
This is with the last stable Stellarmate 1.5.9

I confirmed that Pegasus PPBA_config.xml has the correct port name, so the problem is with the INDI gui.

I also confirmed that the Save Option is not working for the port names:
When starting INDI, Auto Search is always enabled in Pegaus PPBA -> Options.
When connecting, after failing with the default (wrong) port name, it makes and Autosearch, sets the correct port name, connects, and the AutoSearch is automatically set to 'Disabled'.
I then tried to save the configuration, but even after saving, each time I start again INDI, AutoSearch appears Enabled and with the wrong port set.

By the way, a proposal for enhancement:
I find the new presentation of the system ports quite ugly. The by-id port identifiers are very long, some do not fit on the corresponding button and the buttons are so long that it is necessary to full expand the screen to see them all. Couldn't you just put the first characters of the name, allowing you to read the full name inside a ToolTip?

For example instead of:
Silicon_Labs_CP2102N_to_Bridge_Controller_84b710d762b7e811b7546c   (this button label has already been shortened !!)
to simply use:
Silicon_Labs

In case there is more than one, use Silicon_labs_1, Silicon_labs_2, etc. And get the full name in the ToolTip

Makes sense?
2 years 11 months ago #70588

The names would be improved by time, but they cannot be shorted too much. Text like "to_Bridge_Controller_" can be safely removed and I have it here as well. The save works OK as I verified it.
2 years 11 months ago #70614

• Thank you received: 20
Hi,
I confirm the problem for my UPBv2 and also with my PPBM : indi try to connect with the name truncated : usb-Pegasus_Astro_PPBMicro_revA_PPBM636SF3-if0 (dev/serial/by-id/usb-Pegasus_Astro_PPBMicro_revA_PPBM636SF3-if00-port0 )

And I confirm too for the save settings problem : the file is updated when you save the settings, but on the the next start, it seems it does not use the settings saved (like disabled auto search)
Tested on Stellarmate and also in ubuntu 20.04.

Regards
2 years 11 months ago #70620

• Thank you received: 139
Just updated to 1.9 myself. I'm seeing the same issue with the DFMC. But my PPBA is connecting without issue.
2 years 11 months ago #70627

Thanks Jasem,
At least for my devices, the first two or three words are the more meaningful ones and useful as a label. (The example you give in your post uses terms in the middle of the symlink name...it is obviously not adequate)

I will try the Save Option again but I already tried several times in two different days and INDI didnt save the PPBA port between restarts. I did upgrade Stellarmate (in command line, I didnt burn the new image). I do not know if this can make a difference.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Joaquin.
2 years 11 months ago #70653

Issued fixed in GIT, and I am rebuilding the packages for StellarMate stable channel as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ouioui01, Joaquin
2 years 11 months ago #70665

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds