INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashing

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic Kstars crashing

I am now switching off the fits viewer when I don't need it. It's is a bit of a pain because I like to be able to see a stretched version of the last sub. Since I have been doing this there have been no more crashes. I do notice that when I stop EKOS in the morning after a session the Kstars always quits (crashes?) too. If I stop EKOS before my session Kstars continues to run. Not really a usability issue but might point to the same problem.

Wolfgang mentioned "The latest captured frame is also visible in the Manager". I don't see the last captured frame anywhere except in the fits viewer. How to I make it visable and what is meant by "the Manager"?

2 years 9 months ago #72162

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
The Manager is the tab where you are starting EKOS from:

You need to select "Summary Screen Preview" in Options -> EKOS -> Capture:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rishi Garrod
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
2 years 9 months ago #72172
Attachments:

Thanks you so much! I never understood why I couldn't see my image on the Manager Screen. Now it all makes sense and once the session is started I can just display the Manager screen.

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
2 years 9 months ago #72174
Attachments:

Crashed again last night with the fits viewer off. Same as before I find the scope pointing straight up. When I restart Kstars I get the message that a version of Ekos is still running. I am still running 32bit Rasbian so I guess I will try moving to the 64 bit version.

You have to love Linux where changing to a 64 bit kernel requires adding one line to a text file followed by a reboot.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
2 years 9 months ago #72184

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Tunafish on topic Kstars crashing

I found that KStars continued to crash for me if the summary screen preview was enabled. i believe it still needs to do same image processing as the FITS viewer to display in the manager window so continues to eat memory over the night.

Looking forward to hearing how enabling the 64bit kernel works since KStars will continue be a 32bit application unless rebuilt as a 64bit one.
2 years 9 months ago #72199

I personally build the entire INDI / KStars stack on a 64bit Debian 10. With basic Linux knowledge it's not that complicated. It's more or less copy-pasting the instructions available where the code resides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hank
2 years 9 months ago #72213

Last night everything was OK. When I closed down EKOS this morning Kstars did not crash which is a first for me.
Need a few more nights to be sure but maybe using the 64 bit kernel has helped.

Another full night and no problems. Kstars/EKOS working fine in the morning.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Rishi Garrod. Reason: Update, 2nd night without a problem
2 years 9 months ago #72221

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Dmitrii on topic Kstars crashing

Have the same issue: kstars crashes after several subs but indi keeps work. Kstars 3.5.5. on last atroberry rpi4 8gb. CCD QHY600L. There where no chashes with ToupTek IMX571 (same as ZWO ASI2600MC). Power supply is ok as I have 5V10A for rpi4 and dew heaters (2 by 2A each).  I had to disable FITsViewer and Image Preview and it starts work without crashes. There where no other idea to resolve another way.
2 years 2 months ago #79396

I was having the same issue but with a QHY268C. I used to have this issue with the 294MC Pro but it was sporadic, now its after one or two frames. I first disabled debayering and that helped but that also meant that the image coming into the Stellarmate App was also not debayered. I have now enabled debayering again but disabled the fits viewer. Now I see my debayered image on the App and Kstars does not crash.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
2 years 2 months ago #79398

Rishi, Dmitrii, do you use 32bit versions of the OS? If yes, this is the explanation since big camera frames use too much RAM and 32bit has an upper limit of around 3GB, which is too little if all images are kept in memory.
2 years 2 months ago #79399

I am using the 64 bit kernel (arm_64bit=1 in config.txt) but not a full blown 64 bit distro.

As someone else mentioned on the recent crashes I did see it was crashing during debayering.
2 years 2 months ago #79400

Do you have a core dump?
2 years 2 months ago #79402

Time to create page: 0.791 seconds