INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Some problems with my RoboFocus

• Thank you received: 2
Hello,

Since some times, I've got problems with my robofocus.

So I made an all new install of my computer, now is running Kubuntu 15.10, and the last update of Kstars from the PPA.

It start, a night I try to make an autofocus ... and the xxx says focuser is moving on 1625 but when I take a look to the position of the focuser in indi, it's the last position that is display.

So I try to clic on 'disconnect' and when it's done, 'connect' ... the focusing restart ... capturing an image ... the try to move the focuser ... and wait ... (an other disconnection/reconnection)

that's why, I try to reinstall a computer, and make a stresstest on my focuser with an artificial star ... and the problem is always here.

It's like something don't wait enought to ask the position of the focuser ...

It don't know if it's an software or an hardware problem ...

If someone got an idea to make some test ...

for the moment, the only tests I make are :
- reinstall the computer
- exchange the USB-Serial adaptator

but the problem is still here.

Last point, the focuser work some time (after powering), my next test, is make some test after a 'cold boot' and after a 'warm boot' (sorry for that term)

I hope you understand my problem

thank's a lot

Gaetan
8 years 2 months ago #6597

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Whenever you have time, let me know so I can test it with your artificial star via TeamViewer. Send me a private message.
8 years 2 months ago #6624

Also, a quick test you can do. From INDI Contro Panel, if you set a new absolute position, do you see the property go YELLOW for the whole duration, with the absolute position getting updated, and once it reaches the target position, the property goes GREEN?
8 years 2 months ago #6637

Hello,

I have make this test, and the ratio become YELLOW when the focuser start to move, and become GREEN when is at position.

But, maybe it's not the same problem, but if I make a double click on Focus In (or Out), the ratio become YELLOW, but never GREEN ... Have you the same thing ?
8 years 2 months ago #6640

Hy,

I just want to know, if someone can try to make a double-Click on the focus-in ou out bouton

It's like my focuser don't understand the second command of focus, if it don't send the position at the end of the first.
8 years 2 months ago #6755

Driver updated and works well within INDI/Ekos, check it out in tomorrow's update.
8 years 2 months ago #6759

Hello,

Thank's for the update.

But I am sorry, I always have problems when I make an autofocus.

After some movement, the focuser freeze, the ratio is Yellow ... and after a few time I got the next message
ERROR	519.950493 sec	: TTY error detected: Timeout error
ERROR	534.962191 sec	: TTY error detected: Timeout error
ERROR	549.974370 sec	: TTY error detected: Timeout error

Sorry, not really a good news.

But the bug with the double-click on 'in' and 'out' bouton is fixe.
8 years 2 months ago #6793

Do you get these timeouts also when doing manual motion? Sometimes it could be as simple as changing the USB port or the USB cable.
8 years 1 month ago #6809

Hello,

At the moment, I don't have a lot of time to solve my problem. But I have made some test ... with no good result.

Those timeout are in Auto mode ... In manual mode, It's juste the yellow ratio symptom that I replicated by double click (but that was before you fix it)

My configuration is the next,

PC - USB HUB - USB/Serial - ROBOFOCUS

- I change the RS232 Cable, I made a short one ... but no amelioration
- I remove the UBS/Serial cable, and the USB HUB, by pluging directly the Serial cable of the robofocus on my PC ... allways TTY error

I wonder if my Robofocus is sick ? In parallele I try to build this one
sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/

But I want to know if my robofocus is dying or not.

Thank's for the time you spend on my problem.
8 years 1 month ago #6885

• Thank you received: 6
I had something similar last night. It was the first time I used Ekos under the sky.
Configuration is latest xubuntu with kde plasma installed, kstars + ekos
Scope is VMC200l, AZEQ6GT, ST8xme and robofocus.

When I click in the focus tab on "start focus", it gives the following log:
2016-07-07T01:15:55 Focusing outward...
2016-07-07T01:15:55 FITS received. HFR 3.49 @ 7070. Delta (53.5%)
2016-07-07T01:15:51 Capturing image...
2016-07-07T01:15:43 Capturing image...

Basically, he tries to move the focus outwards, but stalls. The start focus button stays greyed out and I can only click "stop" after 10 minutes with no life.
in focus log in the control panel I have all the debug on:

2016-07-06T23:28:47: TTY error detected: Timeout error
2016-07-06T23:28:32: Focuser is moving to position 7005
2016-07-06T23:28:32: TTY error detected: Timeout error
2016-07-06T23:28:17: Focuser is moving to position 7005
2016-07-06T23:28:17: Focuser is moving to position 7005
(he doesn't move to 7005)

But when I select here in control panel focus in or focus out button, he doesn't do anything.

However, I can set the new focuser position by typing in the ticks and then click "set" (under the focus tab). Then the focusser moves and i can focus from the pc. In the focus tab, the focus in or focus out doesn't work either.

I have the robofocus directly on the COM port of the laptop. Before, I didn't have trouble with focusmax on windows.

I had 1 success with the "start focus" working. He did a few pictures, but then I got a bunch of errors, the mount and camera crashed. Disconnecting/connecting didn't work, starting/stopping indi too. The only thing that could bring back life to my astro-setup was a hard reboot of the laptop.

Does anyone has tips?

Btw, is it possible to select a big subframe in which the program can search for a suitable star? The st8 has lots of bad pixels at the edge and he tries to focus on the pixel.
7 years 8 months ago #9181

Can you control Robofocus from INDI control panel or does it produce TTY errors? i.e. test all the robofocus functions.
7 years 8 months ago #9185

• Thank you received: 6
It produced tty errors sometimes, certainly when clicking "focus in" or "focus out". This in indi and ekos.
2016-07-06T23:28:47: TTY error detected: Timeout error

But even with the debug on I couldn't detect the real source of the errors.
The only function I could use was the "Set". This in Ekos (focus->focuserfield)"Ticks: xxx", then click "Set". And in Indi (control panel-> focuser -> options absolute position -> xxxx, click "Set"). Then the focuser moved.

Using the focuser simulator now. In ekos the "focus in" and "focus out" does show movement. The absolute position moves. In indi it doesn't move and no new entry in the log. Maybe a software issue with communication between components.
7 years 8 months ago #9188

Time to create page: 0.948 seconds