INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Status of SkyWatcher Star Adventurer support

• Thank you received: 1
It is mostly the guiding pulses I am interested in, when it is possible to send them via the mount and not via ST4 then I could use a simple camera that I have here for guiding instead of building an USB-based Arduino ST4 interface.

I will try if eqmod also works for me and will report back here.

The only thing I do not understand is that when eqmod actually works a little better why Star adventurer was aliased to the Alt-Az Driver. But perhaps that has to do with the possibility to use WiFi to connect and not Serial via USB.

Many thanks for the answers so far!!!!!

Michael
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Michael Ring.
2 years 7 months ago #74065

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
FYI, I have been using EQMOD with the Star Adventurer 2i and am able to guide via this instead of the ST4 cable.

There was an issue related to dithering however with EKOS, but that would happen regardless of EQMOD or the ST4 cable.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by radon199.
2 years 2 months ago #78992

• Thank you received: 226
I've never been able to communicate with my first generation star adventurer. Has anybody else had success with it, or is it only compatible with the WiFi version?
Perhaps I am missing something on my setup to use the USB serial interface.
2 years 2 months ago #78999

Forgot to say I was using the 2i wifi version. I can't be sure but it could be something was added to the firmware of the 2i to allow the app to control it and therefor allow EQMOD to actually communicate.
2 years 2 months ago #79009

• Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your information. I think I have the similar setup with you.
May I ask for your suggestion to solve my problem?

I configured my devices as below.
- Controller: StellarMate OS on RPi4B
- Device: SA 2i mount + SV305 guide CCD
- Connection: 
(1) SA 2i - StellarMate: USB-to-RJ12 cable
(2) SV305 - StellarMate: USB cable (SV305 doesn't have ST-4 interface)

At the point, I tried to start tracking on my SA 2i (STAR sign mode), but it didn't move.
INDI drivers for SA 2i and SV305 seems fine and there's no error message on connections.
What should I need to check?
2 years 2 months ago #79738

• Thank you received: 1
I may be totally wrong here (because I am not using Stellarmate anymore) but at some point I had the impression that the support for the 2i was dropped as I also was not able to move it anymore.

If you have access to a windows PC you can try to install Green Swamp Server to check if Hardware and Connectivity is OK, the GSS supports the 2i just fine but unfortunately it is windows only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron
2 years 2 months ago #79739

There was some recent commits to the INDI 3rd party github that appear to allow for both usb and wifi connections to the 2i, not sure if that has made it into StellarMate yet.

Here is what I have :

Raspberry Pi4 with StellarMate OS
SA 2i connected via USB-A to mini USB-B ( not into the ST4 jack )
ASI120mm mini connected via USB-A to USB-C

I then use the EQMOD driver with a baud rate of 115200 . Guide commands are sent via the EQMOD driver. I can guide, dither, do RA GoTos, manually move the mount in RA, and also Park and unpark the mount ( return to vertical position ). I did have some issues with plate solving because the mount returns a DEC of 0.0 always, and this confuses some aspects of EKOS.

You cannot use the SA specific profile that derives from the AltAz base profile, this does not work.

There, however, should now ( or soon ) be two new StarAdventurer specific profiles included with the EQMOD driver that are called USB and WIFI that preset the baud rate and set up the wifi connection, and those are probably preferred going forward.

This worked fine for me as of a week or so ago.
2 years 2 months ago #79740

So informative. Thank you for your detailed explanation. ;)
2 years 2 months ago #79741

I added documentation to cover all the SkyWatcher mounts to make it clear for everyone: indilib.org/telescopes/skywatcher.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaron, Bill
2 years 2 months ago #79743

Here I am with my first post. I recently bought a Raspi 4 and installed Astroberry on it. Took me some time to get it running with Star Adventurer 2i, Zwo Asi 120mm mini Camera and Svbony 165 Guidescope, as well as 2 Canon DSLR.
I first set up a profile with Zwo, Canon DSLR Driver and Simulator for the Mount. Now I tested the Star Adventurer 2i USB Driver and it works. I don't get to work the Star Adventurer 2i WiFi Driver. On which position do I have to set the wheel on star adventurer? Sidereal oder App? I set the Wifi Settings of the mount to my home network in App mode. Astroberry is also connecting to my home network. Is that the right setup? Any other hints?
Thanks in advance for any help.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81056

The new StarAdventurer Wifi profile works fine even for my StarAdventurer Mini. So first of all, many thanks for that. This might really improve my portable setup.

However, I am struggeling with the alignment/polar alignment module, as I can not manually set the RA or DEC (DEC is always 0.0) position of the mount. This confuses EKOS and plate solving always fails.
I know radon199 mentioned the same problem and it would be great to know if someone already figured out how this can be solved or handled.

Quick Update:
Figured out how to manually set the Telescope Coordinates:
1) Set "Main Control > On Set = Sync" and "Sync > Sync. Mode = Standard Sync" in the INDI Control Panel
2) Set the Current Coordinates in the Mount Control and Sync (Tracking must be turned on) in EKOS
Still need to figure out if this solves the platesolving issues tonight.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Martin.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81221

• Thank you received: 30
The Sky-Watcher SynScan USB Adapter is an option available for mounting SkyWatcher.

It worked normally up to INDI Ver1.9.3, but it stopped working in 1.9.4.(Although there is serial in the driver setting item, I can no longer connect.)

www.skywatcherusa.com/products/synscan-usb-adapter

There is no description in the created table. .. ..

This option is an important factor for making a more reliable direct connection than WIFI.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by T-Studio.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81250

Time to create page: 0.981 seconds