INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip - EKOS/Onstep Slews to last star

• Thank you received: 31
Thank you for your persistence. It paid off fixing this bug.

Let us all know when it is accepted by Jasem, so we look for the next indi-bin build.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAMIE FLINN, Vrajesh
2 years 7 months ago #74982

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Now, running with latest FirmWare on IOptron GEM45 I have the following observations:

Meridian Flip from OTA on West side: Tested 4 times all successfully conducted.
Meridian Flip from OTA on East side:  Tested 3 times all failing!
       Symptom is: every few seconds: Doing Flip, no movement Doing flip, no movement... Status switches between Tracking and Stopped

May be Meridian flip from East side is not so usual? Here at high Latitudes (Norway) it definitely can happen as objects that are always up are tracked and captured.

2 years 6 months ago #74986

• Thank you received: 6
Did you see Jamie Flinns solution to his Meridian flip issue Gustav?
Jamie added a 10sec delay between each exposure, I have no idea if it would fix your problem - after all why should it work from one side and not the other.
www.facebook.com/groups/428163374611772/posts/993428068085297

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Keld Henningsen.
2 years 6 months ago #74993

• Thank you received: 0
I saw that, but have been testing with capture sequence and without. All now worked as expected with OTA to West. The tests with OTA to the East where all done without any capture sequence and did not work.

I think that the Flip should occur also without sequence running just tracking an object.
2 years 6 months ago #74997

• Thank you received: 6
Just testing with 10sec delay, Ekos did a MF Pier side: West Pointing East, pause capturing and resumed after MF.
East pointing West: MF Waiting, nothing happens - same as you describe Gustav. 
2 years 6 months ago #74998

Gustav,

This topic is specific to the OnStep telescope controller, and affects far more than just the meridian flip.

For the meridian flip with OnStep, it is a frequently asked question, so we added it to the FAQ page on OnStep's Wiki.

onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/7118

I see that your mount is an iOptron. No idea if any (or all) of that applies to iOptron or not.
2 years 6 months ago #75001

The pull request was merged by Jasem into INDI's repository.

We are now waiting for the PPA packages that incorporates the fixes for OnStep.
2 years 6 months ago #75053

• Thank you received: 19
Hi All - report on operation using the fix and a real run last night - Note: at 2:30 am KStars crashed AFTER going through the rull slew MF, align, guide image flow - so NOT related to this at all:
1) all slews GOOD
2) status accurate
3) MF NORMAL and completed
4) post flip align was GOOD
5) lol - focus not good but that is MY fault for adding and offset and asking for refocus after slew...oh well, live and learn  (hence the out of focus image :-)
5) guide after MF was a little weird but doing it's work, just poorly

The one thing that I see but just may be because I never looked before is the flip pending AFTER the main flip - I guess this could be because this sequence was so long it would suspend for the next night?....anyway all the items the bad status was affecting seem GOOD now - will continue working things to see if other issue can be tackled - BTW - this ALSO include a new fix in Kstars I have been working with Jasem on for official proper operation of pre-capture scripting which enables dual camera operation - been using my variant for months with great success and it is now up on github...have fun dual imagers :-)

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by JAMIE FLINN. Reason: image corruption
2 years 6 months ago #75056

2 years 6 months ago #75057
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Jamie,
I'm afraid we're not through yet. I took a closer look to the log file you posted in the other thread. It seems like after the MF your mount reported state "Tracking" with RA= "03h 23m 39s", while your position before the MF was RA= "23h 24m 25s". That's the reason why the second MF started.

So please could you do a dry run for the MF and turn on the logging for the mount driver in EKOS.

Cheers
Wolfgang
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
2 years 6 months ago #75063

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-31-...9-01.zip
File Size:3,123 KB

All the action starts about 2:32 am - as per the analyzer output the actual flip and subsequent align seem like a normal pattern  (My rig aligns very quickly and it looks like 3 steps were needed) - let me know what you see and THANKS!
2 years 6 months ago #75066
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 370
Indeed, alignment succeeds, and it remains find when then the focus routine kicks in at 02:19:49.757. Focusing takes a while, needs some separate investigation, but it completes at 02:31:16.453. This is part of the post-MF activities.

What I do not understand is the event at 02:23:31.679, when the new meridian flip is planned for RA = "03h 23m 39s" (The RA position for the MF that just completed was 23h 24m 25s). And there is no entry indicating a slew during the focus routine. Remember, we are still in the post-MF procedure, focus running.

Any ideas?

That's why I meant that you should try to make a dry run with your mount connected, but using the CCD Simulator and no alignment and no focusing.
2 years 6 months ago #75073

Time to create page: 0.769 seconds