INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Do Not Use FTDI and Profilic Serial-USB Drivers in the Same Setup

• Thank you received: 50
I had a look at my installation to see if I could pin down what the latest version (3.5.5) of KStars offers. This is a screen shot showing the Indi control panel and the (serial) Device Port Selector screens.

The two serial devices are the Pegasus PPB with a Prolific chip and the EQMOD mount driven by a Lynx Astro USB to serial cable with an FTDI chip which these days seem to work happily enough together.

2 years 6 months ago #76752
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
Avocette, You are lucky.
I see that you are running Windows and I am running macOS.
May be the macOS version of KStars is the problem ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
2 years 6 months ago #76754

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Avo,

I've messed around quite a lot with this and it's all a tad confusing :-( - for something so apparently simple it's bizarre ! I now strongly suspect that in this case it is a buggy driver implementation. I don't know which piece has the dodgy implementation, whether it be Astroberry/Debian/INDI et al or a straight defect in this particular driver.

I've used FTDI, Prolific, and the bargain bucket jobs for MANY years. I've never had a problem like this.
I'm pretty sure it's not the prolific hardware per se. If it was, they'd be out of business :-)

Looks like my options are buy or make something.

I have the bits to make something, just can't locate a verified pin-out diagram. Looks like FLO will be getting an order :-)

Oh, thanks for taking the time to make the screen shot.

Best

c
2 years 6 months ago #76755

@ Avo

forgot to say that this looks like a Prolific pl2303 driver problem specifically
2 years 6 months ago #76756

• Thank you received: 87
And that's a bad one and they are bad quality. I stopped using profilic (that exact model) once it burned my HEQ5 MCU!!!
Almost had a fire because of it. Very dangerous. Profilic no more... at least for me
2 years 6 months ago #76757

Hi nMac,

the range of experiences with all this stuff is really quite odd. Makes you wonder if it just all depends on which side of the bed you got out of :-)

Best,

c
2 years 6 months ago #76758

• Thank you received: 87
Hi Collin, yes it seems so :-) I had it working for more than a year until disaster arrived.
But I had more experiences with profilic chipsets and in general they dont play well with other chipsets.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by nMAC.
2 years 6 months ago #76759

Of course it’s only the Windows implementation of VNC Viewer that’s showing what’s going on in my RPi. The KStars/Ekos/Indi is all running under the Raspberry Pi OS version of Debian.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Avocette.
2 years 6 months ago #76760

I don’t know where I read it, but it seems there are some genuine Prolific PL2303s out there but a lot of fake ones….
2 years 6 months ago #76761

Hi Avo,

Yep, I guessed it was vnc or similar :-)

I'm just saying is there APPEARS to be something flakey going on in relationship to the pl2303 driver.

Do you know if your Pegasus is using the "standard" Prolific pl2303 driver ? It would just be interesting to know

Best,

c
2 years 6 months ago #76762

@Avo

Yes, there are many reports of cloned/fake so-called prolific chips.

However, do bear in mind that in this instance (Eq6-r Pro) Well, I'd like (Hope) to think Skywatcher buys direct from Prolific ? :-)

Best,

c
2 years 6 months ago #76763

My guess is that Pegasus Astro would also be keen to buy direct from Prolific. 
By the way my other mount ( SW AZ/EQ5) has a built-in Prolific chip, and I can swap over the direct USB cable link to a Hitecastro USB to Serial cable. It turns out this cable also has a Prolific chip in it, and the only software change I need to make is to go from 115200 baud to 9600.
2 years 6 months ago #76764

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds