INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CEM40 usb drops connection

• Thank you received: 41
Ha Ha, you are right. First time I did it I thought I had bricked the mount as the connection dropped out half way through. However the last couple of times went without a hitch so hopefully this upgrading process is much more stable now. Fingers crossed :)
2 years 3 months ago #78793

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56
I have a GEM45 and was also having problems with dropping connections usually during a slew. I noticed that if I moved the USB cable it would sometimes loose connection. I narrowed it down to the USB B connection on the mount.
I made a modification to put a very secure 4 pin connector in parallel with the USB connector so I now have a totally stable connection. Since I was already busy I also replaced the power connecter with a solid 2 pin connector.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Rishi Garrod.
2 years 3 months ago #78817
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 31
The only firmware that was not up to date was the Main board. Updated that, Ekos still does not connect to the CEM40 directly from one of the pi usb2 ports.
I have had no dropped connections by going through the unpowered usb2 hub - yet (about 4 hours running simulators and 4 hours actual imaging). So it works, even if it requires a weird hack that I don't understand.

2 years 3 months ago #78867

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by tda on topic CEM40 usb drops connection

I recently bought CEM 40 and facing the same issue with this error I pasted below. I am using astroberry (rpi4). I would really appreciate if someone can help with this problem.

Thanks
2 years 1 month ago #80027

• Thank you received: 0
I just received CEM40 today. My rasberry pi4, too, does not recognize it. It says: [ERROR] Failed to connect to port (/dev/ttyUSB0). Error: Port failure Error: No such file or directory. Check if device is connected to this port.
Please help.

P.S. My firmware version is: 210605. I think it's the newest.
1 year 11 months ago #82254

Use port selector and select a port from the dropdown list. Maybe baud rate 115200
1 year 11 months ago #82256

• Thank you received: 2
What power source you power up raspberry pi4? Pi4 is power hunger. It may not have sufficient to power USB device plugged in. You can add a active USB hub in between Pi4 and CEM40.

Kenny
1 year 11 months ago #82259

Replied by MH on topic CEM40 usb drops connection

This may not be the problem nor solution - I debugged this *endlessly* with my GEM45, and a powered hub didn't help (but I did spend money!).

See the culmination of my mostly-complete "saga" here .

The USB to RJ12 adapter however did *not* work, and the guiding issues were because I suck at polar alignment.

I did run into the "[ERROR] Failed to connect to port (/dev/ttyUSB0). Error: Port failure Error: No such file or directory. Check if device is connected to this port." problem as well - it was because the Pi couldn't assign it a USB adapter correctly, iirc because of the mount itself (was often the problem with the GEM45 when going direct-to-mount with the Pi).

You can see this on the Pi4 terminal by running:
dmesg -Tw

Then plug in the mount however you are doing this via USB - you can see what that will likely look like here if you are experiencing the same problem I was.

TL;DR: Grab a cheap, *unpowered* USB hub (I linked directly to the one I ended up using) and try that - it may save you a massive amount of headache / money-spending. You can see in my other post(s) that I ended up getting a different USB cable as well, but that did not work by itself (it required the unpowered USB hub).
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by MH. Reason: Code blocks, please don't be mean to me
1 year 11 months ago #82260

I have selected every baud rate possible, but the problem persists.

Edit: this is a reply to Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Ruth Arunin.
1 year 11 months ago #82262

I used many types of power sources (home outlet and two power banks with different usb cables.) In addition, I tried an unpowered usb hub. Pi4 still cannot detect the mount. The mount works with Ioptron Commander 7.0 with my laptop with Windows10 fine.

Edit: this is a reply to KENNY WONG.
1 year 11 months ago #82263

I have tried an unpowered usb hub. It does not work. I may have to try your solution later, but it will take sometime to have the hub delivered to me.
As far as I see I may try:
- your unpowered usb hub,
- a new usb cable,
- or buy a rasberry pi3.

Edit: this is a reply to MH
1 year 11 months ago #82264

Replied by MH on topic CEM40 usb drops connection

Try `dmesg -Tw` on the command line while swapping cables out, that may give you more information around the Pi actually detecting / allocating the USB port correctly (or not) at least.

I also recall running into weird issues where just having the cables plugged in during boot versus plugging in after would sometimes cause problems, but I wasn't able to delve into that further to figure out if that was actually the cause or not =(
1 year 11 months ago #82266

Time to create page: 1.829 seconds