INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Screeching noise while parking

• Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

this is my first message here. I am new to the Indi/Ekos word, so far I have managed to successfully run all my devices (mount, camera, guide camera, focuser and filter wheel) and played a bit with the interface indoors.

Each time I ask the mount to park, the motors make a strong screeching noise just before reaching the park position. My mount is an AZ-EQ6 connected to the Pi4 with an Eqmod cable.

I am wondering whether I did something wrong? As far as I know I did not change anything from the default settings (except recording the actual park position, but the problem was already present before).

Thanks for your help,

best regards,

Dan
2 years 2 weeks ago #81915

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

would be it same behavior from the handset?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan
2 years 2 weeks ago #81918

• Thank you received: 6
My EQ6R-PRO always does this screeching noise noise when it is in "GoTo"-mode. In this case the mount runs with maximum speed. There are very old FW versions which do not make this noise.
I think it comes with the MC015 universal main board and the universal FW on this board.
When using an ASCOM driver the maximum speed can be reduced within the EQmod SW (there is a slicer in the setup-menu).
Also the maximum GoTo speed can be reduced in the config.ini of EQMod (value GOTO=0 is default, GOTO=400 reduces the speed to a maximum of 400 and the noise is gone).

Unfortunatly the value is fixed in INDI Eqmod driver. I have seen this value in one of the xxx.h data files (I think it was set to "800".). I'm not able to compile this driver with the modified value because I don`t have that knowledge.
However would be great if the value can be made variable in the INDI-driver. ("GOTO-MAX-SPEED:")
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan
2 years 2 weeks ago #81921

• Thank you received: 108

Replied by nou on topic Screeching noise while parking

Building driver is not that hard. You can use my script that build INDI and Kstars from source gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hartmut, Dan
2 years 2 weeks ago #81924

Replied by Dan on topic Screeching noise while parking

Thank you Jasem for your message. I never used the handset but it never happened with an ASIAIR.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81931

Replied by Dan on topic Screeching noise while parking

Thank you Hartmut for your message. Sorry I was not clear enough. The motors are indeed rather noisy while slewing at full speed, and I don't care about this, but what I report here is something different.

When the mount is about to reach the park position (i.e. in the decelerating phase), the noise level increases suddenly and it becomes VERY loud, to the point that I was afraid that it could damage the motors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hartmut
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Dan.
2 years 2 weeks ago #81932

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds