INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

(EQ6-R Pro) problems with location and time between indi and Mount

• Thank you received: 0
This is something I've struggled with for a while and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes things work fine but I can't tell what I"m doing different on the days it works vs. the days it doesn't work. Initially I thought it was due to running disconnected (astroberry hotspot) vs. my home wifi but that isn't always the solution.

The first thing I do is setup and 1-star align the mount. During this process, I enter the location coordinates, timezone offset for standard time, as well as YES/NO depending on whether DST is active or not. Given that I am in pacific timezone and DST is active, I set Timezone offset to -8 and I set DST to YES.

I also have the timezone set on the raspberry pi operating system to PST and I run (as root) the date command to set the time to the correct time, I confirm that in the UI it shows the proper current time.

I also set the geographic location using the astroberry preference menu to match what I set in the mount.

Then I start Kstars/EKOS and connect to the mount/camera/etc. I use "SynScan" driver to connect to my EQ6-R Pro with a USB cable plugged into the hand controller.

It pops up the INDI control panel and I notice that the UTC time displayed is off by an hour compared to actual UTC time and the TimeZone offset is -7. I also notice that the longitude is sometimes off by a significant amount. Instead of showing -118.xx.xx as I set in the mount, it shows like 242.xx.xx.

End result is that plate solving corrections do not work in the mount and I even notice that the mount itself will do a meridian flip an hour early. Plate solving with corrections iterates forever bouncing around about 10 arc-seconds at a time, but not even always in the right direction.

I have tried switching INDI settings to use location from mount but that seems to have no effect.

Hopefully someone can point out the error in my ways here.
1 year 7 months ago #84817

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 274
Hi Brian,

How are you time and location parameters set? I have the same mount and set them like this...

I let kstars to everything and don't use the synscan controller for anything (I don't connect it). The problem could well be that kstars and the controller are both fighting for control of the mount with unpredictable results.

Regards,
John.
1 year 7 months ago #84820
Attachments:

Thanks for your reply. Initially, I had "Kstars updates everything" but still had this problem on occasion so I changed it to the mount controls everything. I will try going back to kstars updates everything and see if that helps.

Note that when I try to unplug the hand controller and connect directly to the mount (rather than USB port on hand controller), I get errors connecting (using synscan driver). I spoke to skywatcher support and they mentioned that I probably have an updated control board that doesn't allow direct connect (only used for updating firmware). Are you using synscan driver or eqmod driver when connecting directly to the mount?

I would certainly love to skip using the hand controller during initial setup. SynScan driver requires you do a setup/star alignment before it will work when connected to hand controller directly.
1 year 7 months ago #84846

I use the EQMod driver. It should cover everything you need. If you have problems post the Indi settings for the driver here. I have used both an EQDir cable and USB cable, they both work well. Here is the doco on the driver:
indilib.org/telescopes/skywatcher/eqmod.html
1 year 7 months ago #84848

• Thank you received: 16
I agree with John. I haven't used my hand controller in over a year and use the EQMod driver... plus let KStars update everything. Never had any problems since.

Good luck!

Ron
1 year 7 months ago #84851

Thanks again for the help. I was indeed able to get it to connect to the mount and slew just now using EQMod and the USB cable. Only had to change the baud rate in the INDI control panel to get it to connect. I'll try it for real once I get a clear night.
1 year 7 months ago #84871

Haven't had clear skies yet but am testing it out a bit more and still seeing odd behavior. Time appears to be solved now (using EQMod and a cable connected directly to the mount with no hand controller connected), but GPS coordinates are still behaving strangely.

The logs in the INDI Control Panel say: "Observer location updated: Latitude 45:XX:XX / Longitude: -122:XX:XX" and these values indeed match the Kstars location (Settings -> Geographic) I enter, but when I click on the "Site Management" tab for the EQMod Mount, it shows a Longitude that is way way off. E.g. 237 instead of -122. But Lat and Elevation are correct.

I can update Lon and choose "Set" to correct it, but if I disconnect and reconnect, the Longitude is way off again.

I do have Kstars set to "Kstars updates all devices" and all check boxes match the picture shared above.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Brian Hayward.
1 year 7 months ago #84877

Hi Brian,

I don't think this is a problem. Kstars wants an east(+) / west(-) measurement for your location. Just looking at site management for my setup it shows longitude in a 0 to 360 degree format so for me I'm at 4 degrees west (-4 when I setup in Kstars). When I look at site management it displays 356 degrees.

You can test in daylight by setting up. When you start Kstars will show your parked position on the skimp. Pick an object, say to the East and slew to it. The scope should move to the east. Do the same for something west. If that works you should be good to go.
1 year 7 months ago #84879

Got it. Will give it a shot. Thanks!
1 year 7 months ago #84881

Thanks again for the help on this topic! After switching from the SynScan driver to EQMod and using direct connect to the mount rather via the handset, I had the best guiding experience so far with this mount. So happy to avoid all setup in the hand controller as well!

No issues with slewing / time zones / plate solving and guide performance was the best I've seen yet (Total RMS was 0.49 - 0.82 arcsec and was usually under 0.6, all with only a rough polar alignment).

Previously: Guide performance was around 1.6 arcseconds with huge swings (over 2 arcsec) when using the SynScan driver + USB connected to the Hand Controller; even when I had excellent polar alignment before.

I still had ~15% of my 5m exposures with a little star elongation due to the nature of the bouncing around. Will do better polar alignment tonight and try again.

I think my conclusion is that folks should avoid the SynScan driver if at all possible. If you must use the hand controller, perhaps try EQMod with PC Direct mode set on the hand controller (though I have not tested this yet)
1 year 7 months ago #84941

Time to create page: 0.843 seconds