INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon Zero looses motor position after 3-4 slews (SOLVED!)

• Thank you received: 2
I think I've found the source of the issues and it was related to... USB cables and, probably, interference! The mount works like a charm now. I have a RPi 4B and, currently, I use all of the USB ports. To one of the ports I connect the ATIK CCD and if I use a USB 3.0|1 cable, I immediately get issues. I suspect that there are some interference going on between the ports. I didn't think that could be the case as I tried everything, shutting down all devices until only the mount was switched on, but, alas, the problem remained. Switching the CCD USB 3.0|1 cable to a v2 solved the problem immediately.

Lesson learned? I need to get a powered USB hub which will probably solve the issue as I assume they're probably better shielded.

Phew, I really love my Zero so happy camper now!

Cheers

Hi!

I'm running a Raspberry PI4B with Astroberry v2.0.4 and Indilib v1.9.7. Connected I have:
- Avalon Zero Obs with StarGo connected over USB (Using the Indilib StarGo driver)
- Atik Horizon II
- QHY CCD5LII

Recently my mount started to behave erratic and says "Could not get the motor status from mount (err: -4)" or something like that. I've checked the logs and that is the only error reported. This usually shows after 3-4 and sometimes after up to 7 slews. After that the mount becomes very slow in its responses and it fails to report back the position to EKOS thus not updating the scope position in KStars. I can see that Ekos/Indilib sends :34# and then waits for 2 seconds which results in:

- Failed to receive full reponse: Timeout error. (Return code: -4)
- Failed to parse motor state response ''.
- Failed to parse motor state. Retrying...

And this goes on and on...

I've tried three different Avalon FW:s
- 6.20SP6
- 6.56B2
- 7.?

All of them behave in the same way. Anybody else having the same behavior?

Cheers
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Peter Litsegaard. Reason: Solved!
1 year 8 months ago #85391

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
Hi Peter,

I also have an Avalon M-Zero OBS running with the setup below, but I haven't observed the behaviour you have observed with your setup. Next time I power up my system, I will try to reproduce your situation and report back to you. Did you perform plate solving between each slew?

Setup:
- Avalon M-Zero OBS with FW 6.20 (not sure about the SP level) over USB
- ODroid N2
- Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS
- ZWO ASI1600MM Pro + EFW
- ZWO ASI290MM (guide)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Litsegaard
1 year 8 months ago #85421

Hi Gilles!

Thanks for chiming in! I think I found the issue and it had nothing to do with the mount and I've updated my post to reflect this.

The mount is just fine. Phew :)

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles Gagnon
1 year 7 months ago #85441

• Thank you received: 8
Hi Peter
I used to have very strange behaviors and errors with my attached devices from time to time. After a few frustrating nights I decided to replace all my USB cables with high quality ones and also I bought the Powerbox from Pegasus and since then these problems all disappeared.
Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Litsegaard
1 year 7 months ago #85449

Hi Thomas!

The cables are good quality BUT I'll definitely visit the Pegasus store after this "incident" :) Very annoying indeed but now my Avalon is purring like a cat so I'm a happy camper!

Cheers
1 year 7 months ago #85450

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds