INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New version of Celestron NexStar Evolution driver (0.3)

• Thank you received: 57
I have just released a new version of nexstarevo driver.
There are many internal changes and clean-ups in the code.
Here are the most important ones:
  • Much better tracking performance
  • Always approach from the direction of tracking
  • Telescope autodetection implemented
  • Telescope simulator added with stellarium monitoring connector
  • Dropped dynamical memory allocations in the driver
  • Improved stability (still a bit problematic though)
  • Some code clean up and refactoring
  • Constant approach distance on encoders
  • Periodically update target position on long goto
The resulting driver is much more stable and seams to work better.
This is a stepping stone to more work on polishing the interface and implementing niceties like mount monitoring and setup (battery, lights etc) and extensions like serial communication with the mount (AUX protocol) via hand controller or direct serial connection. This version may be regarded as beta quality and is suitable for careful end-user testing.

For now you need to build it yourself or get it from my PPA (ppa:jochym/libindi-3rdparty is building it at this very moment).
I hope it will be included in the regular nightly builds soon. It was tested on debian on the pc and raspberry pi2.

PPA: launchpad.net/~jochym/+archive/ubuntu/libindi-3rdparty
Development repo: github.com/jochym/indi/tree/nse

I would appreciate any feedback and bug reports/patches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Paweł. Reason: Typo and missing links
7 years 1 month ago #14421

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I added the driver to indi-full now
7 years 1 month ago #14434

Thanks! As a separate driver, I hope. This is still beta quality code. I have only one known issue with it (stability after long time - there must be a small memory leak there). Until this is fixed it cannot be treated as production code.

BTW. I have noticed server IP/port fields in the development version of telescope class. Shell I drop my own fields for the telescope address and use them instead?
7 years 1 month ago #14436

• Thank you received: 17
I downloaded the INDI device library (libindi_1.3.1_rpi) on 2/14/17, to my Raspberry Pi 3. I have a Celestron CGEM mount (pre GPS version). Is this the driver I want and is it already in my device library? In the library directory the only files I see (for this mount) are indi-eqmod_0.3_armhf.deb and indi-eqmod-dbg_0.3_armhf.deb. When I run the INDI Web Manager it does show me an option to select for a Celestron NexStar mount (there are also options for CEM25, CEM60 Celestron GPS). I have a NexRemote hand controller with a serial port connection to a computer, so I assume this is the one I want to use. I have not tried connecting to the mount yet, but getting close; I am running EKOS on a remote pc.

My next question (probably not for this particular topic, but maybe you can point me in the right direction) is how to configure the Rpi3 to use the serial port on the GPIO header (I have an RS232 Serial board adapter). I am pretty sure it will be on ttyS0, but I would like some confirmation that I have the Rpi3 configured correctly

thanks,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14566

The nexstar evolution driver is only suitable (for now) for wifi connected scopes and probably on the AltAz mount.
So this is *not* your driver. But the standard celestron driver from the indi distribution should work just fine with your scope.
The serial interface from the GPIO pins of the RPi is probably not the easiest way to go. It is not always active (depends on the config) and the lines are very sensitive to voltage spikes - it is quite easy to burn the line drivers in the chip. I would recommend USB to serial adapter - much easier to configure and safer. You can get one easily for just a few bucks.
7 years 1 month ago #14572

Jochym,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I should have looked at the Celestron NexStarEvolution Mount before I asked my question. It is obviously NOT what I have. I just saw your post and thought; Oh, this is the latest Celestron update. I will defer to the Standard Celestron INDI driver (Celestron GPS).

I purchased this GPIO to serial adapter; "Ableconn PI232DB9M Compact GPIO TX / RX to DB9M RS232 Serial Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi." It is supposed to support level shifting from the Rpi to standard RS232 levels. My Rpi 3 with the latest Raspbian Jessie has enable_uart=1 in the config file, so it is enabled and addressed as ttyS0 (I believe) and the clock is pinned at its base rate, so the timing should be ok. I have also disabled ttyS0 as the console port, so it should support other devices. But if you have a specific usb to serial cable that you would recommend for use with the Rpi 3 I would be inclined to order it from Amazon. I am considering this one, "StarTech.com 1-Port USB to RS232 DB9 Male to Male Serial Adapter Cable." I am assuming I don't need the null-modem version of this cable as I want this to look just like a serial port on a computer (which I know works with my mount).

thanks again,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14574

Try the ttyAMA0 device (on mine it is this name). It depends on the driver used.
The usb adapters are pretty similar. Just do not go to cheap.
7 years 1 month ago #14582

OK, I set up an overlay between the main UART and the mini-UART on the Rpi so that the serial port (on the GPIO pins) is now associated with ttyAMA0. I started everything up; with the Rpi at the scope running the INDI device manager (Web Manager) and my remote PC running EKOS communicating to the Rpi over my LAN connection. And it works! I have a lot of things to do to understand how it is working (scope configuration and settings), but basically I am able to do what I was hoping I could do; only have the Rpi at the scope and control everything from a remote PC (in the house). I also have a powered 4 port USB hub and I have already tried that with my cameras and their INDI drivers and they work. So pretty soon I should be able to get everything working!

thanks again,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14600

• Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I am using a fresh INDI install on Linux Mint 19.1 x64. I have set up wireless control of my Celestron NexStar 127SLT using a skyportal wireless adapter in "direct" mode using the Nexstar evolution driver. It seems to work, but I've noticed that the slew rate of the telescope really slows down when the scope starts to get close to it's target.

Is this rate adjustable anywhere?

Thanks for your guidance.
4 years 1 month ago #49492

I am really glad you succeeded to set up the driver in this untested configuration. Regarding the speed of approach: this is controlled by the motor controllers' firmware. It is supposed to move with normal (full speed) to the position shifted by constant angles in both axis from the target and then approach the target by slow goto. The speed of both is generally not controlled by the driver (you can set the speed of fast goto).
I am not sure I get the problem. Maybe you can make a movie of your scope executing the goto and upload it to youtube?
4 years 1 month ago #49502

• Thank you received: 0
How did you get it working on your 127SLT?
3 years 5 days ago #69079

You use the regular "Celestorn GPS" driver with 127SLT via a cable to the handset.
3 years 5 days ago #69092

Time to create page: 0.873 seconds