INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

trouble with eqmod mount disconnecting

I tested EQMod for the last half hour in my observatory and no issues. Another user ALSO had this problem as well, so it is more common but I can't find the source of the issue yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
6 years 2 weeks ago #24109

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I am not able to discern a pattern. I have had it work fine for hours, and then fail 2x in 20 minutes. It looks like I may have some clear nights coming up this week, so will try to better recall what is going on when it happens.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24110

• Thank you received: 226
I have seen this happen, but I couldn't be sure if it was my cables or whatnot. I haven't had enough time up and running lately to notice any pattern.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24112

Ok I'd like to know what leading to this. All the logs I got so far either include the error in a separate file (with no history before it) or do not include the error at all. I need logs that are OK until this starts happening.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24115

• Thank you received: 28
HI knro. Me too.

I have a funny feeling it's not software rather power supply. I ran off battery with no issues. Then I tried off mains power with one of my 12VDC 2A power supplies. Again no issue. Then I tried another mains power supply and the mount wouldn't connect with the same error.

I just completed a brand new power supply from a computer psu. This should give me the cleanest 12VDC @ 17A. So plenty to run everything cleanly.

If the weather is fine over the weekend I'll log everything from start to finish and send through all my logs if I have any problems with anything.

Will see what happens.

Keep up the awesome work.

Regards
6 years 2 weeks ago #24117

• Thank you received: 9
Hi,
the errors look a bit similar to the ones I had about a year ago:
www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/1614-eqmod-...or.html?limitstart=0
I attached a verbose driver log of a full test session back then, maybe that helps:
www.indilib.org/media/kunena/attachments/3593/eqmod_driver.txt
I have not tried it again since then but when I find some time I will check it again and record some logs.

Cheers,
Adam
6 years 2 weeks ago #24121

It looks clear tonight. I will have logging on from the start.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24146

So far, tonight, I have captured >150 frames at 15s Lum, and now 60s Red with guiding the whole time. No issues. This is how it goes.

-- added hours later. A great night. Not a single offline incident the whole evening, tracking, dithering, OAG guiding with the 290MM mini, etc...
The only thing I did different that I can think of is I had full debug logging enabled for the mount/EQmod !

I'll take it. Going to leave the logging on and see if I can get it next time.

Jim
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Jim. Reason: added updated info later
6 years 2 weeks ago #24157

hi krno, so I had some time to try the setup with my new clean power supply. The last time i powered up all my gear everything worked flawlessly and I suggested that all the issues were probably due to poor power supply. Unfortunately i dont think this is true.

Ill summaries the issues i encountered and ill attach all the log files.

So i have not updated my PC or RPi3 indiserver from the previous session when everything worked. My laptop (running ubuntu 16.04LTS) and RPi3 (running ubuntu mate 16.04LTS) dont see the internet at all and are purely dedicated to kstars/astro. I only update these devices when i see you have push updates and new features. I use the offline astrometry solver.

I just set up and started everything as i normally do.

The first issue i encountered was my Shoestring BT dongle would not bind to my laptop, wher ein the past it bound straight away. So I had to remove, re-pair and re-trust it again using blueman. And then it still would not bind. So i used bluetoothctl to pair and trust and it worked. Then when i tried to pair it with the blue-man applet it still would not bind. So i open a terminal and used the following: sudo rfcomm bind 0 XX:16:11:08:57:YY 1 to achieve a bluetooth bind. Finally everything connected ok.

I was able to slew to objects etc and the mount and all the other devices connected via rpi indiserver.

I then went to park the mount and it ended up slewing to China, not back to the South Celestial Pole from there it started. Once i unparked the mount it disconnected and threw the same tty cannot connect error i posted before and the bluetooth disconnected. So i had to shut everything down and start from scratch.

And the same thing as above happened again so i packed up to send this report.

anyway i hope the logs flag what the issue may be.

regards
6 years 1 week ago #24185
Attachments:

Last night, with logging on from the start, everything worked without issue again. So far the correlation would be, always run full logging B)

Will leave it on for it to happen again.
6 years 1 week ago #24202

• Thank you received: 301
Ah ! I got the exact same issues as you all with my HEQ5. I had disconnects in the past, with indi from June '17 built from source, but I would relate those to cables and stuff getting in the way of rotation. Plus, the mount would complain about the voltage stability, because it was dropping under 11V too often.

However when I rebuilt the January version of INDI, and proceeded to observe during 5 consecutive nights under 0°C end of February, I started to observe weird disconnection issues precisely like you describe.

The mount and its eqmod driver would work flawlessly during one full night. Mount was parked but powered the whole day, as well as the INDI server. The following night I would have those disconnections without any warning.

Specifically, I remember imaging M42 for 20min, then switching to the Bubble nebula, to the west. The mount disconnected on its slew to the target. Incidentally, it crashed the Atik driver at the same time. Both drivers would restart, but the eqmod driver wasn't able to reconnect to the mount.

At that moment, I restarted the whole indiserver, and for whatever reason, the eqmod driver was able to reconnect the mount. I tested slewing around and it was working. Then I slewed back to Bubble, and the driver lost the mount again with the same messages, with Atik crashed too, roughly at the same coordinates location.

To recover from this situation, I had to turn the mount off and back on again. No amount of effort on indiserver or connection cables would restore functionality.

I'm really puzzled with this issue, my current opinion is that this is a regression, but there are several parameters playing together that are difficult to separate.

-Eric
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Eric.
6 years 1 week ago #24254

Hi Jasem just to report back, last night was again a bit of a disaster. indi_eqmod_telescope performed ok with no disconnects this time, but the internal guider was not happy and my RPi3 indiserver lost wifi connection to my client straight after guiding stopped, which ultimately shut everything down. So i had to restart the rpi3 on numerous occasions.

As i said i would do, I logged everything, see attached files.

regards
6 years 1 week ago #24268
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.751 seconds