INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount not tracking after slew?

• Thank you received: 10
HI all
If I slew my NEQ6 mount to an object and then use use the joystick to tweak the object to the centre of the FOV I assumed the tracking would then kick in but it doesn`t seem to as the object slowly creeps out of view regardless if I click on `tracking` or not?. I think I have all the tracking stuff selected (sidereal rate etc) but I notice the light is always yellow on the tracking part of Ekos. I have noticed now and then that I can select tracking to start and stop it but can`t remember the steps to get there. Anyone confirm if tracking should indeed kick in when the slew stops please?. I`m using a Lodestar guider (with indi SX driver) and the mount is driven by the Indi eqmod driver.
When I can get it to guide it guides fine!.
thanks
Steve
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Steve.
9 years 9 months ago #1477

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IIRC if you use the joystick to slew or the N/S/E/W controls, tracking is disengaged and you have to turn it back on again. Can someone confirm?
9 years 9 months ago #1478

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Doug on topic Mount not tracking after slew?

Are you serious??? I thought the point was to use a joystick to do alignment, but how can you align anything if it keeps cancelling the tracking? I must really be misunderstanding something here. (So frustrated right now!)

I'm wracking my brain trying to imagine a reason why that behavior would be desirable. So far I'm drawing a total blank. If you wanted to stop tracking, couldn't you just do that explicitly? I don't understand cancelling tracking being a side-effect of using the joystick.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Doug. Reason: More thoughts.
8 years 8 months ago #4721

On the other hand, after I settled down and checked out the astrometry stuff, I'm starting to feel differently about the "Amish" way of doing mount alignment (especially on a 254mm Newtonian) :-) I still wish the tracking didn't kick out on joystick operations, but I must admit the astrometry capability is entirely too cool! I am placated.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Doug. Reason: kant spel this morning
8 years 8 months ago #4722

Also, using the joystick does not stop tracking for a while now. But as you said, the astrometry is a much better method!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug
8 years 8 months ago #4742

I'll have to check my binaries then. I think I pulled the Pi binaries on May 5. It's been a long summer so in any case, I guess fresh bits couldn't hurt. Thx for the info.
-Doug-
8 years 8 months ago #4751

Time to create page: 0.831 seconds