INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron GPS issue

• Thank you received: 14

Celestron GPS issue was created by Teseo

I have Celestron GPS C8 with Hand Control 4.21.
I have update git and now have this error in console:
"[ERROR] Serial read error: Timeout error "..repeatedly.

it seems less reactive and certainly less fluid on the screen

Add video and log. Thanks.
5 years 5 months ago #29957
Attachments:
  • captured.mp4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Celestron GPS issue

Please turn debug logging on and post again. There were a few updates recently to add pier side and support StarSense so this is likely the cause.
5 years 5 months ago #29959

Replied by Teseo on topic Celestron GPS issue

Only this is necessary?
5 years 5 months ago #29961
Attachments:

Try this. Disable "Auto Connect" in your Ekos Profile. Start the drivers, then go to INDI Control Panel --> Celestron GPS --> Options. Now turn debug logging there for everything, then go to Main Control, and click "Connect". Now the log should hopefully be complete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
5 years 5 months ago #29962

Thanks.
See if this is ok.
5 years 5 months ago #29963
Attachments:

It's having problems here:
[2018-09-30T12:00:56.170 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] Getting controller variant... "
[2018-09-30T12:00:56.171 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] CMD <v> "

Then it continues like this:
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.149 CEST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS :  "[ERROR] Serial read error: Timeout error "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.149 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] Getting controller model... "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.151 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] CMD <m> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.179 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] RES <01 23> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.184 CEST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS :  "[INFO] Mount model: GPS Series "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.184 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] Getting RA firmware version... "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.184 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] CMD <50 01 10 FE 00 00 00 02> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.232 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] RES <04 06 23> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.234 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] Getting DEC firmware version... "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.235 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] CMD <50 01 11 FE 00 00 00 02> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.261 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] RES <04 06 23> "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.264 CEST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS : "[DEBUG] Firmware Info HC Ver 4.21 model GPS Series NexStar Fork mount, HW Ver 4.06 "
[2018-09-30T12:01:01.265 CEST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Celestron GPS :  "[WARNING] Mount firmware does not support getting pier side. "

So not sure why it's failing here now as the recent changes didn't change anything regarding this.
5 years 5 months ago #29973

Ok I have used last without problem ( git from 27 september )
search difference in two celestrongps.cpp ( 27 september and today ) with diff command.

At this point I revert line by line, and test ( compile, connect ..ecc )

The offending part, is:
+    char sop;
+    INDI::Telescope::TelescopePierSide pierSide = PIER_UNKNOWN;
+    char psc = 'U';
+    if (driver.get_pier_side(&sop))
+    {
+        // manage version and hemisphere nonsense
+        // HC versions less than 5.24 reverse the side of pier if the mount
+        // is in the Southern hemisphere.  StarSense doesn't
+        if (LocationN[LOCATION_LATITUDE].value < 0)
+        {
+            if (fwInfo.controllerVersion <= 5.24 && fwInfo.controllerVariant != ISSTARSENSE)
+            {
+                // swap the char reported
+                if (sop == 'E')
+                    sop = 'W';
+                else if (sop == 'W')
+                    sop = 'E';
+            }
+        }
+        // The Celestron and INDI pointing states are opposite
+        if (sop == 'W')
+        {
+            pierSide = PIER_EAST;
+            psc = 'E';
+        }
+        else if (sop == 'E')
+        {
+            pierSide = PIER_WEST;
+            psc = 'W';
+        }
+    }
+
+    LOGF_DEBUG("latitude %g, sop %c, PierSide %c",
+               LocationN[LOCATION_LATITUDE].value,
+               sop, psc);
+    setPierSide(pierSide);
+

..removed this part work ok, please add other control.

P.S.
In reality there remains one "[ERROR] Serial error: timeout error" at the beginning .. this has been present for a long time (I remember that I had written in a message a long time ago) fortunately this does not create problems.

Bye.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Teseo.
5 years 5 months ago #29992

• Thank you received: 138

Replied by Chris Rowland on topic Celestron GPS issue

The main problem is that your HC type and version doesn't support the get pier siide command 'p' but this is being called unconditionally in ReadScopeStatus. The best way to fix this is by adding
if (!HasPierSide())
return true;
immediately before the code you quoted. ReadScopeStatus will then only call the code that's giving you problems for systems where the read of side of pier command is available.
The timeout error at the start is because the legacy HCs don't support the get mount variant command 'v'. It's tricky to avoid calling this because the Starsense HC versions overlap some of the legacy HC versions.
I'm a bit stuck for fixing this at the moment, I need to work out how to shelve my current development and get a new version from the master so if someone wants to implement the fix I've suggested it would be a help.

All this illustrates the difficulty of testing this. There are multiple mount types, some of which can be operated in different modes and also with different HCs. Then there's issues such as the hemisphere. One thing that I found helped a lot was using NexRemote. This is a HC emulator which also has a very good simulation mode allowing it to run simulating a variety of mount types. It has a virtual serial port to connect to. There are a couple of snags, first it's for the legacy HCs only and more significantly it is Windows only. I'm not sure of a way to get this to work with an INDI driver.
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred, Teseo
5 years 5 months ago #30002

Thanks, I pushed your suggested change to master.
5 years 5 months ago #30004

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds