INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon Driver Setup

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Andy on topic Avalon Driver Setup

I tried to run the first command from the Readme file:
git clone github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi/tree/stargo_work
But got a 'Repository not found' error. I then saw the 'ken-self-sync' branch in the online repository. I had a look online for how to get that and ran this command:
git clone --single-branch -b ken-self-sync github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi.git
I think that has worked as I have an INDI folder in my home directory and it includes '/3rdparty/indi-avalon/'

So I think I can attempt the compile and install using these commands from the Readme:
cd indi
mkdir -p build/indi-avalon
cd build/indi-avalon
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../3rdparty/indi-avalon
sudo make install

Before I try the compile and install can I just check, have I got the files for the correct version with the 'ken-self-sync' branch?

Also I found the Drivers.xml file in usr/share/INDI/ I think that's the one I need to update with the Driver. I just need to add the below entry. Is that correct?

<device label="Avalon StarGo">
<driver name="LX200 StarGo">indi_lx200stargo</driver>
<version>0.5</version>
</device>

Regards,
Andy.
5 years 4 months ago #31768

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic Avalon Driver Setup

Think I am correct in saying go ahead and compile BUT dont do the make install bit - at least you will know if it compiles ok. Then if you have got the correct version you only have to do the SUDO make install which links and copies the files to the "live" directory at which time you should see the driver info when your start Indi Devcies so you can comfort yourself its loading the correct version.

I might be wrong with the bit after the SUDO Make etc as I have never used the Avalon driver - Hope it works
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy
5 years 4 months ago #31770

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ken Self on topic Avalon Driver Setup

Hi Andy
Thats the correct branch and also the correct entry to add to drivers.xml
When Indi updates get applied you'll need to re-edit drivers.xml
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy
5 years 4 months ago #31782

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Andy on topic Avalon Driver Setup

I was able to successfully compile and install the driver. I also edited the drivers file too. Then connected the Linear to my laptop. I was able to connect to the mount from Ekos without an issue. I synced to the home position then picked a couple of starts in KStars and slewed to them both without any issues. This was indoors, but I could see the mount moved to the expected position to point at each star. I left the mount tracking for about 10 minutes. That was also fine. Finally I parked the mount and disconnected again no issues. So a successful test :-)

I'll test the guiding next. Is pulse guiding supported or should I use an ST4 cable? Also can I use the internal guider?

P.S I really appreciate the effort that has gone into the driver. I'm so pleased to be able to use the Avalon LInear with KStars and Ekos.

Regards,
Andy.
5 years 4 months ago #31797

You can use pulse guiding. That's all I've ever tested it with. It should work with the internal guider but I use PHD2 myself.
Any issues or feature requests just post on the forum. I usually log in daily. Current work in progress is on some of the more esoteric features and also on Stargo focusing.
It would be nice to get the driver stabilised and fully incorporated into INDI
5 years 4 months ago #31809

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Avalon Driver Setup

Can the driver be included to INDI now?
5 years 3 months ago #32533

I would think so. I've been using it for months now without issues. I'm working (slowly) on some of the less common functions but that should not stop mainstream use. Wolfgang is working on the focuser code so not sure where that is at.
5 years 3 months ago #32544

Can you please submit a PR to INDI for inclusion? Thanks!
5 years 3 months ago #32553

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by CARON on topic Avalon Driver Setup

Hello,
I use tle avalonStarGo driver for a while, and I did not encounter any problem. I use the mount functions, not the focuser function.
I think it is a good idea to add now avalonstarGo driver to the main indi repository.
Thanks for the work.
Jean-Jacques
5 years 3 months ago #32556

• Thank you received: 370
Hi,
good to hear that the driver is working with others as well. I have been using it now for several months and the telescope part should be mature enough to be published.

Since I got support from Avalon during developing the driver, I would like to ask them for an OK to push it to the main repository. The next week I will be awfully busy, but Christmas holidays are in sight :-)

If you want to use the latest version, please checkout the ken-self-sync branch from my GitHub repository: github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi.git

Cheers
Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Ken Self
5 years 3 months ago #32629

Great! Looking forward to the PR!
5 years 3 months ago #32656

• Thank you received: 370
I got the OK from Avalon, so I will prepare the PR as announced. Since the weather is bad, there is plenty of time for programming...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Ken Self
5 years 3 months ago #32776

Time to create page: 1.022 seconds