INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Synscan Driver - Feedback Required

I just pushed a new Synscan driver that I tested with HEQ5 and AZ GTi so theoretically it should work on both EQ and AZALT mounts.

The new synscan driver name is the same "Synscan". The older driver is retained in case the new driver does not work for you. The older driver is renamed to Synscan Legacy.

The code is in GIT and it should be available later tonight in the nightly INDI builds. Feedback & testing are highly appreciated.

The new driver supports:
1. Custom parking
2. Custom Slew rates
3. Guiding
5 years 2 months ago #33802

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74
Thanks Jasem, I will try it out via my test system tomorrow and let you know what I find. If it really works then I might even replace the handset LOL :-)
When do you get to do Astro ? LOL
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #33810

• Thank you received: 86
Jasem,
Confused... I've been using EQMod with my AZ GTi (successfully). Should I switch to Synscan?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 2 months ago #33822

A daft question but will ask anyway :-)

Where you are running a remote RPI running indiserver and kstars/ekos on another machine does it matter if the indi drivers version numbers dont match (the answer i guess it does) .

Its a case of what the driver(s) do in a client/server set up, as there are 2 drivers but surely one must be the master as far as commands being issue and the other end is just a relay of messages ???? - perhaps a bit of clarity?

Thanks
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #33823

• Thank you received: 420

If you use EQMod then keep on using EQMod. This driver is only for users who don't have an EQMod cable and who want to use a computer connection via the SynScan hand controller instead.

HTH, Wouter
5 years 2 months ago #33824

Right, the SYnscan driver is only for those who do not have EQDir cable. If you know anyone using Synscan like that, stop and ask them to get a cable!

At any rate, this driver is for this group of users. no driver version checking is done. Now there are two drivers "Synscan" and "Synscan Legacy". Testing is required for "Synscan".
5 years 2 months ago #33826

OK did some day light testing.

1. Tried both all local on 1 RPI - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 results were
a. Connection made to Synscan (legacy shown) and to my normal DSLR(canon) and GPSD ok
b. Version shown for Indi_sysnscan_telescope was 2 interface 5.
c. Started off from normal position North at 0 ALT.
d Could not slew to any position would move only move in one axis(RA) so I guess thats the ALT EQ PEC Opions.
e. Reset to AZALT and tried again this time slew would move in both axis but it wouldn't goto the correct posiion - almost 100 dgree's off. Funny Kstars tracked it correctly going to the wrong position and even showed the wrong position in terms of AZ/ALT. Couldn't work out any reason. WARNING anyone doing testing please make sure you watch your mount. I didn't for a couple of secs and bang now minus 1 USB port on RPI3 - oh well thats testing :-)
f. Park now works and goes back to correct position or you can alter it and write data to park else where.
g Mount control via "PAD" moves in all directions via the arrow keys,STOP works (phew!) but GOTO an object has the same problem as described in step e.

2. Tried remote to same RPI3 from Desktop where latest Kstars was loaded on a Virtual Box image - Note does not look the same no exspantion menu's when slecting mounts.
a. Connection to remote RPI from Desktop (Ubuntu 18) fine as per 1a above
b. Synscan version shown to be as per 1b above.
c. Had exactly the same problems as described in 1e-1g

hope that helps - see attached logs

File Attachment:

File Name: logs.zip
File Size:180 KB

5 years 2 months ago #33827
Attachments:

Right, the SYnscan driver is only for those who do not have EQDir cable. If you know anyone using Synscan like that, stop and ask them to get a cable!

Thats an unfair statement,IMHO, I use direct connection (Wired and UDP) all the time (even make/program my own !) - From Windows 10 no problems - Linux EQMOD,Indiscan and Skyalt dont work with my SWAZ goto's . Others have their own reason's.

Would you prefer for "us" to not use Indi - it feels like that :-(

5 years 2 months ago #33829

• Thank you received: 86
I don't have the controller and I don't have the cable either. I use AZ-GTi's wifi to connect to RPI.
Would the cable connection be better?
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 2 months ago #33832

• Thank you received: 2
Hi Jasem,

Did you try to adress the "synscan mount not responding, abort mount " problem I reported recently in this version?

Regards
5 years 2 months ago #33841

Hi

Some more testing this time using TTL/USB serial adapter connected to RPI Zero W using Ser2net UDP to serial listening on UDP port 11880 - this works on Windows using Synscan App Pro no problem.

Anyway

1. Test s using Synscan,Sky W ALTAZ all failed - looks like connectio at serial level ok but fails with handshake (old error this was orig problem). However EQMOD connected ok (with warning message) and sort of ran for a while before Indi Eqmod crashed. All used UDP to ip address/UDP port 11880

So tried another approach - Ran SynScan App Pro under Wine on Ubuntu 18 host (host running my test system for Indi/Kstars as used in step (1) above.) Synscan App connected to mount ok - just says 114gt as the mount which is normal since version 1.90 of Synscan App.

Back on my Virtualbox test ubuntu 18 Indi/Kstars test system I changed to TCP and port 11882 to connect to Synscan App on Host Ubuntu.

2. Ran Synscan driver - connected and ran correctly not silly wondering to the wrong point of the sky on slews. Parked/unparked ok. Arror keys on Mount control window work but the rate is stuck on 1x. Plus could not start tracking via Kstars/Ekos , however Synscan App allowed tracking on which Ekos would then recognise and even stop tracking but still would not start tracking from Ekos. Ran for a while (5mins) then serial error.

3. Ran Skywatcher AltAZ connected but "required alignment message " - did simple 1 star alignment in Synscan App then connected SW ALTAZ again and this time connected ok. Then ran into problems see logs.

4. Ran EQMOD again same as (1) above.

See attached Kstars and Indi logs

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-19indi.zip
File Size:67 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-19.zip
File Size:103 KB

5 years 2 months ago #33842
Attachments:

Clive,

Thank you for your dedicated to this testing! Sorry about the USB port :(

So I will retest the driver once I get home. Just checked the logs to find this:
"[WARNING] Firmware version is too old. Update Synscan firmware to v3.38+

What's the Synscan controller firmware?
5 years 2 months ago #33857

Time to create page: 0.999 seconds