INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Synscan Driver - Feedback Required

• Thank you received: 74
Right, the SYnscan driver is only for those who do not have EQDir cable. If you know anyone using Synscan like that, stop and ask them to get a cable!

Thats an unfair statement,IMHO, I use direct connection (Wired and UDP) all the time (even make/program my own !) - From Windows 10 no problems - Linux EQMOD,Indiscan and Skyalt dont work with my SWAZ goto's . Others have their own reason's.

Would you prefer for "us" to not use Indi - it feels like that :-(
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #33829

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
I don't have the controller and I don't have the cable either. I use AZ-GTi's wifi to connect to RPI.
Would the cable connection be better?
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
5 years 2 months ago #33832

• Thank you received: 2
Hi Jasem,

Did you try to adress the "synscan mount not responding, abort mount " problem I reported recently in this version?

Regards
5 years 2 months ago #33841

Hi

Some more testing this time using TTL/USB serial adapter connected to RPI Zero W using Ser2net UDP to serial listening on UDP port 11880 - this works on Windows using Synscan App Pro no problem.

Anyway

1. Test s using Synscan,Sky W ALTAZ all failed - looks like connectio at serial level ok but fails with handshake (old error this was orig problem). However EQMOD connected ok (with warning message) and sort of ran for a while before Indi Eqmod crashed. All used UDP to ip address/UDP port 11880

So tried another approach - Ran SynScan App Pro under Wine on Ubuntu 18 host (host running my test system for Indi/Kstars as used in step (1) above.) Synscan App connected to mount ok - just says 114gt as the mount which is normal since version 1.90 of Synscan App.

Back on my Virtualbox test ubuntu 18 Indi/Kstars test system I changed to TCP and port 11882 to connect to Synscan App on Host Ubuntu.

2. Ran Synscan driver - connected and ran correctly not silly wondering to the wrong point of the sky on slews. Parked/unparked ok. Arror keys on Mount control window work but the rate is stuck on 1x. Plus could not start tracking via Kstars/Ekos , however Synscan App allowed tracking on which Ekos would then recognise and even stop tracking but still would not start tracking from Ekos. Ran for a while (5mins) then serial error.

3. Ran Skywatcher AltAZ connected but "required alignment message " - did simple 1 star alignment in Synscan App then connected SW ALTAZ again and this time connected ok. Then ran into problems see logs.

4. Ran EQMOD again same as (1) above.

See attached Kstars and Indi logs

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-19indi.zip
File Size:67 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-19.zip
File Size:103 KB
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #33842
Attachments:

Clive,

Thank you for your dedicated to this testing! Sorry about the USB port :(

So I will retest the driver once I get home. Just checked the logs to find this:
"[WARNING] Firmware version is too old. Update Synscan firmware to v3.38+

What's the Synscan controller firmware?
5 years 2 months ago #33857

More testing this time set up was RPI3 Ch340 TL/USB adapter plugged directly into RPI3 (no handset) - No nightly update done since last test.

1. Synscan (legacy eve) doesn't connect serial imeout.

2. SWALTAZ - connects and mount is shown on Planetarium (long below south) - Is there a short cut to jump to where the Telescope if pointing (tried toggle tele tracking nothing happens).
a. Slews but hard to tell if its ok as Sync seems to be limited to the distance thats accepted -e.g. could sync with the Sun (as its dew south) but tried other Syncs further away - nothing happens.
b. Ok thought the Unpark/Park position might help but unable to set UNPARK NORTH as saving/loading configuration crashes Kstars

c. Park is a real problem - pressing this starts a "merry go round" - could not stop from software and by I had ran outside ,to zap power mount had gone thru 720 degrees in DEC (good job no Camera/elescope :-) ) and didn't look like stopping :-(

3. EQMOUNT connects but is not getting correct handshake (mount just sending :E reply as normal - it is a AZ mount so think we need a matrix for each mount showing what can (and does inreal world) work on each driver !

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-20.zip
File Size:206 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: kstarslogs.zip
File Size:248 KB

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 2 months ago #33868
Attachments:

Did the Handset-rs232-FTDI-USB-RPI test again - handset firmware says 3.39.05 as is confirmed in IndiDevices after connection.

1. Synscan connects ok

a. Will not go to near horizon starts doing small loops - never stops until "Abort" used.
b. Slews go off on there merry way to where I dont know but I have to abort else it would be a disaster for cable tensions etc not o mention any kit - which i didnt connect - only the RPI.

see attached logs - Kstars and Indi

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-20kstars.zip
File Size:56 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2019-01-20indi.zip
File Size:48 KB

5 years 2 months ago #33869
Attachments:

Thanks for the continued testing Clive! It is really appreciated! The logs actually show everything is fine with the mount at least. I just added more logs to GIT. If you can recompile, please do.

Here is what I do:
1. Make sure mount in home position (Looking north with weights down)
2. Power on Mount & Synscan
3. Set time/location/etc in handcontroller. Daylight saving OFF all year long.
4. Perform 2-star alignment
5. Connect to INDI

I wasn't able to see any issues with the mount when I followed the steps above. At any rate, now that I added more detailed logs. Please check. Also, no need to test synscan_legacy.
5 years 2 months ago #33873

Hi Jasem,

1. Problem there are no weights on a AZGoTo - Normally point North with Alt zero for home position.
2. Normally dont set date/set/location in the handset

OK I can do (2 )set date etc in handset and do a dummy 2 star alignment so will pointing to North with zero ALT do ?

p.s. May have nothing to do with problems BUT I found when talking to my AZGOTO (had 3) the echo command <Ka> was hit and miss and notice tha Synscan App uses <:e1> to start the hand shaking process - When I wrote a Ardinuo serial/ttl to UDP bridge I could never get <Ka> (or whatever you care to use for the character after the K) to work hence use of <e:1> (which may have to be repeated x times)

Anyway I will try to recompile and test but it wont be for a couple of days :-)

5 years 2 months ago #33875

After you do the alignment process, just leave it as is. Then connect, if everything is OK, it should be on the last star you aligned to.

Regarding <Ka>, the Sysnscan driver is for communication directly using the protocol only. It seems <e:1> is used for SkyWatcher protocol i.e. when communicating directly with the control boards. For AZ-GTi, you need to always connect to port 11882 (used for Synscan protocol).

Next time you run the test, make sure to delete ~/.indi/parkData.xml and ~/.indi/Synscan* files to ensure a clean start. Thanks for your time Clive!
5 years 2 months ago #33876

OK recompiled IndiLib only - normal Warnings (if memory serves me from last time!)

Presume you meant ~/.indi/ParkData.xml not ~/.indi/parkData.xml ??????

Might have a go if clouds clear and I am bored with "Red Moon" .

5 years 2 months ago #33880

You are correct. Make sure to git pull as I made more changes in the last hour. You can perform a dummy 2-star align indoor. Should be enough for testing.
5 years 2 months ago #33882

Time to create page: 0.980 seconds