INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

recommend a mount please

• Thank you received: 223
I do believe that a lot of frustration and issues I have is from this HEQ5 pro, I'm getting fedup wasting my time with it.
It's not accurate enough, it does not guide correctly, I no longer like this mount.

For example, my polar alignment moved... in the space of a week or so.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
4 years 11 months ago #38150

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
As I commented in the other topic, not sure what could have caused that. But I have been using an HEQ5-Pro for 1,5 years now and I am very happy with it. In general it guides at better than 1.5" RMS while my pixels are around 2". I use an ASI120MC-S and a 50 mm F=160 mm guide scope. I tried a 60 mm F=280 mm guide scope at some point and that got me down to 0.7" and better. I am using that now on my EQ6-R and generally get that RMS there as well.

I did install the belt mod myself on the HEQ5-Pro. Not sure if you have it but that may be a consideration to improve things.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Greg
4 years 11 months ago #38206

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic recommend a mount please

I second that last post, if you don’t have the belt mod, then do that first, it could save you the cost of a new mount... :)
4 years 11 months ago #38212

thanks, I have the bel mod :)
4 years 11 months ago #38214

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic recommend a mount please

I would not ditch it away, just until you try all solutions possible.
It's a good mount, sometimes it's a "PITA" to get it working but... when you get it right, it just works. Steadily.
Mine took almost 6 months to get it right! Almost went nuts but perseverance is the key :-D
You'll eventually get it.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by nMAC.
4 years 11 months ago #38220

nmac, could you please share screenshots of your guiding configuration? Also the screens in the popup under Options please? I know that specific settings work for specific mounts but they may work as a guide for people with similar mounts, like me. In general I get good guiding but recently something has been off and I don't know what yet... Thanks a lot in advance!
4 years 11 months ago #38221

Well I would but it's not my current mount my HEQ5 board fried so it's on hold. Now I have a Vixen GPD2 with a Skywatcher Goto kit.
That i can do. The settings are not much different from the HEQ5.
4 years 11 months ago #38222

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Rob on topic recommend a mount please

I recently got a Celestron CGX to replace my overloaded HEQ5. Silly me, I did not thoroughly research the Celestron mounts and now find that it is only possible to directly connect to the mount via the half baked proprietary CPWI software which only runs on Windows. I swear within an hour of getting the CGX up and running I started to feel the walls closing in with the closed ecosystem of their products and support. I am really missing direct mount control via EQMod. Having to plug in the hand controller and use it to do initial alignment and then to use it as a bridge for Indi is a big let down for me. The CGX does have some redeeming attributes like home sensors ( really good if you have a semi or permanent pier), hard and soft limits and pretty good accuracy as well as nice overall build quality. On that basis I would try to regain the faith in Skywatcher and look into one of their higher end mounts just for the EQMod connectivity. Jasem may be able to suggest other brands where direct control is possible. One last suggestion Try to find a mount that has or can be modified for through the mount wiring, power and USB. A huge advantage if you run the controlling computer on the OTA .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
4 years 11 months ago #38223

Sorry to hear about your HEQ5 mount. But yes please for the offer for the screenshots of the Vixen GPD2 config. Once more many thanks in advance!
4 years 11 months ago #38224

Ok will do that when possible. I think I still have the original screenshots stored somewhere.
4 years 11 months ago #38225

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic recommend a mount please

This is kind of scary, I read your other thread -all four or five pages of it- because I also did the belt mod this winter and my first time out this year I had the same RA oscillation you showed. Since then I've been trying to figure out what's wrong. I tightened up the belts and reduced slack in the worms and the oscillation seems to be gone but the guiding sucks in general - I saw improvement by reducing DEC aggressiveness in PHD2. Last night was average seeing but it looked rough. Have to try in a dark site on a good night - I think passing car lights are upsetting the guiding. I see such good guiding results on other's rigs including backyard Astro (HEQ5) but I'f never replicated it with internal guider or PHD2. Good luck.

PS: I've been looking hard too and up to now its been the EQ6-R I want but someone just bought the CEM40 that just came out and it looks really nice, especially for you remote setup - small but 40 lb payload apparently.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Greg.
4 years 11 months ago #38232

I will have to check the backlash on the RA, as I said I wasn't too happy with it. There is a slight sticky point.
4 years 11 months ago #38236

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds