INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using PEC and EQMod Mount

• Thank you received: 559
I noticed while guiding that I have significant periodic error with RA on my Orion Atlas Pro. I though, perhaps it made sense to try the periodic error correction feature--though I'm not experienced with it (perhaps I'm confused on how to use it). I did the following.

I started up Indi and Ekos, pointed at Dubhe and started (Phd2) guiding. I went to Indi Control Panel --> EQMod Mount and turned on RA PPEC Training. It went yellow for about 14 minutes and then said RA PPEC training completed, and the light turned off (went grey). I assumed this meant it was successful. I then stopped guiding, set up my target (M13), clicked on Indi Control Panel --> EQMod Mount --> Turn RA PPEC to "on". I then started guiding. At this point Indi (in the EQMod Tab log) said: "Turning RA PPEC off while guiding. Turn on RA PPEC after guiding."

So , I'm confused. Can I not use PPEC while guiding? I had hoped that was the point--to improve guiding, or rather make guiding easier, by removing the periodic error component. How should this be used?

Thanks,
Hy
4 years 9 months ago #39967

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Markku on topic Using PEC and EQMod Mount

Hi,

The message you get is somewhat confusing but it means that you have to be guiding before starting PPEC, the thing is that PPEC can't be activated if the mount is not moving so I guess maybe the mount is not tracking when you activate PPEC.

Cs,
/Markku
4 years 9 months ago #39976

Markku,

Just double checking: I am saying that (a) I started guiding, and (b) turned on PPEC RA training, and it ran for a 10-15 minutes, and then said it trained successfully.
Then, later, I turned on guiding again (mount is definitely tracking--I just double checked) and yet it will not let me turn on RA PPEC.

So, I could not turn it on though it was definitely moving/guiding.

Is it somehow possible that it didn't train the PEC successfully, even though it said it did when I turned on the training?

Thanks,
Hy
4 years 9 months ago #40048

Hi,

Sorry about that, I read "Turn RA PPEC to "on". I then started guiding"
Well, I'm not sure what's going on then, but a couple of times I had to klick multiple times to start RA PPEC playback, but you have probably done that too.
Right now we have summer up here and there is only 2 stars visible by naked eye but I can try anyway depending the weather, maybe something have changed during last month or so.
I would guess that if the training wouldn't be successful you would get a error message of some kind but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Cs
/Markku
4 years 9 months ago #40061

I just ran a test and it seems working normally, it's cloudy so I just did a dry run.

2019-06-12T19:23:47: [INFO] Turning RA PPEC off.
2019-06-12T19:20:51: [INFO] Turning RA PPEC on.
2019-06-12T19:20:23: [INFO] Telescope slew is complete. Tracking TRACK_SIDEREAL...

So I don't know why it doesn't work for you ?

/Markku
4 years 9 months ago #40141

Thanks for doing that Markku!

How did you train your PEC? With the top button in the indi eqmod pec tab?

I was just running with RA PEC? Did you have both RA and DEC? (As I recall, it didn't allow me to train DEC).

I'll try again the next free night.

Hy
4 years 9 months ago #40142

No problem at all.

First find a star to train against and tracking on, then start guiding and after a while when guiding have stabilized then press the RAPPEC training button and let it run until it is finished, and after that you can turn on RAPPEC.

Once I did try training in DEC but a EQ mount usually doesn't move in DEC so that can explain why it didn't work, also the gears have to go a full rotation and I don't know how long it takes to do that.

/Markku
4 years 9 months ago #40151

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,
Were you able to implement PPEC in your EQMOD mount?
I have the same problem, once I train RAPEC and then I activate RA PPEC I get recurring messages "Turning off RA PPEC while guiding. Turn on RA PPEC after guiding".

Thanks
2 years 4 months ago #77686

• Thank you received: 20
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andres Rossi
2 years 4 months ago #77687

Time to create page: 1.156 seconds