INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMod questions..

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I am coming from the Windows world and I am a complete newbie in Mac or Linux. So, I am sorry for these (maybe) stupid questions and also for my bad English.

I have read almost entire indilib.org site, and I tried to install indi library and Kstar on a Mac in order to test the software. First time I followed the installing procedure using Macports, but after 2 days I failed. It seems I installed the KDE4 but no Kstar. I also tried to build it, but also I have received a lot of errors, so I give up (for the moment). It is very difficult for someone who knows nothing about Linux, Mac etc.

So as I haven’t access to software I would like at least to know if indi libraries could be useful for me.

-I am interested in EQMod driver. Should this driver be connected to a Skywatcher mount directly (without hand controller) – like EQMOD/ASCOM driver ? Does this driver use the same protocol as EQMOD driver?

-Could I use a Raspberry Pi connected to a mount and running an Indi server with EQMod driver ? Could I connect this Raspberry wireless with another portable device, (android phone or Ipad) running a client like Kstars ?

-What kind of protocol uses the EQMod driver at "input"? I am asking this because I would like to connect another planetarium software (Skysafari) to that server/driver. Skysafari sends via TCP protocol Nexstar commands, LX200 commands etc. So the real question is how it works the link between Kstar client and the server/EQMod?

Thank you
9 years 1 month ago #2912

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic EQMod questions..

For Mac, mabye our Mac Guru Peter can help a bit :-)

Getting INDI/Ekos on Linux is easier now. Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, it uses the same SkyWatcher protocol.
2. Yes. In fact, this is my current setup. HEQ5 Mount --> RaspberryPI --> Wireless --> Living room PC with Ekos
3. EQMod uses INDI protocol to receive/send commands and messages. You need an INDI client to connect to the EQMod INDI driver.
9 years 1 month ago #2915

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic EQMod questions..

Eqmod does work well on a Raspberry Pi. I'm using it (~still in dev) on my remote observatory which you can follow the build at
stargazerslounge.com/topic/198091-a-remo...ed-pico-observatory/
9 years 1 month ago #2919

Replied by Sorin Sfartz on topic EQMod questions..

Thank you knro and gonzothegreat.

It is very nice that raspberry can handle the server and the EQMod driver. I am happy that the EQMod use the same skywatcher protocol as EQMOD, because I have no hand controller and I already have made a controller for a new mount which, is working fine with EQMOD/ASCOM. But this solution should be more portable as a SBC running windows/EQASCOM is too expensive for such purposes. I am searching for a "grab and go" solution without laptop's, power conversions etc;

So, I suppose that it is possible to write a client which could be installed on the same raspberry with the server/EQMod and which would "simply" translate the commands received somehow from Skysafari, into indi protocol. Or maybe is better to intercept the skysafari commands directly on the mobile device and to write an application which acts like a client and send/receive commands via wifi to raspberry.
I have read a pdf document about indi protocol and I understand it uses xml. Could you tell me how are the xml packages sent? Over TCP, UDP, HTTP, serial?

Where I can find a documentation for EQMod driver (methods, properties used etc)?
9 years 1 month ago #2920

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic EQMod questions..

The RasPI will not control the mount directly, you do need something else between the mount and the RasPI.
I'm using an AstroEQ which you can find there:
www.astroeq.co.uk/
9 years 1 month ago #2921

Or just a simple EQDirect USB cable like those found in Shoestring Astronomy

INDI messages are sent over TCP/IP. You must use an INDI client to communicate with INDI server. And there is already an INDI client for Android. If you insist on using SkySafari then you would need to write an INDI client that translates SkySafari commands and send them to INDI server.

There is no official API documentation for the EQMOD driver, you have to check the source code.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #2922

Fortunately I think I don't need anything between raspberry and my mount controller, just 2 wires for a serial TTL link. The raspberry should have a serial TTL port. I don't have the device yet, but I have seen some specifications and in the gpio connector there are RX and TX pins. On the other hand my mount controller is a diy project and is based on Atmega328 microcontroller. Gonzothegreat: I know that site; even my project is different from AstroEQ, the Tom Carpenter site and other resources shared by him, was a great source of inspiration for me. Of course atmega has serial Rx, Tx pins so I think that the link shouldn't be a problem greater that linking any other microcontrollers. The sole problem is that raspberry works at 3.3 volts so I should make the atmega to work also at 3.3volts or I should put a level adapter.

knro: I am not stuck with Skysafari, but I already have it. It is a decent planetarium software so I would like to try to use it if it is possible. Probably in this moment the best way is to buy a Raspberry and to make some direct tests on this driver.

I have found another SBC - similar with Raspberry, but faster and it has the same price - ODROID C1. Is it possible to run indi server and EQMod driver on it?
9 years 1 month ago #2926

You can use any of INDI clients to control your mount. You can run EQMod on _any_ thing that runs Linux/OSX
9 years 1 month ago #2935

Thank you knro.
9 years 1 month ago #2936

Hello again,

I just received the Raspberry B+ board. I think I managed to install Indi libraries on it and I also started a server with Eqmod driver.
The default port - 7624 is the port where the server is listening for a client?
Another question: which port uses the Eqmod driver to comunicate with the mount? EQASCOM can be configured to work with a serial port (virtual or not). But I didn't find any info about how Eqmod works.
9 years 1 month ago #3093

yes 7624 is the default port. The port depends, by default it is /dev/ttyUSB0, but you can change it. Check out EQMod information
9 years 1 month ago #3094

I could connect my controller through an USB port via a ftdi chip, but I would also try a serial connection. I assume I shoud change the port to something like /dev/ttyS0. In that page is mentioned the "indi control panel" and I suppose in that control panel I could change the port also. This control panel is accesible only on the client side? Should I install on another machine Kstars in order to see it?
Is this the only way to change settings of the Eqmod driver?
9 years 1 month ago #3095

Time to create page: 2.786 seconds