INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar alignment assistant (PAA) practise - real mount with ccd simulator

• Thank you received: 54
As it is heavily raining, I wanted to do a quasi real-life practise with the PAA. I have set up to use my mount (LX200-OnStep, not simulated) with the CCD simulator, and the astrometry driver to do just that.

The PAA simulation goes well until when the mount is supposed to slew to the next position. It just sits there saying that its moving the mount to the next position but its continuing tracking instead of slewing. The capture gets done (a GSC image gets displayed), followed by the successful astrometry solving but then, no slew to next target (30 degrees west).

Am I doing anything wrong or is there something stopping the mount from slewing if we are using the CCD simulator with a real mount instead of a real camera with real stars? Everything works well in full simulation mode and in real life I can capture, solve and slew to target (but haven't tried PAA). My setup: latest KStars and Indilib, WO GTF81, OnStep modified mount, ASI1600 that gives me almost 2x1.5 degrees field of view. BTW, I get no error message.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.
4 years 5 months ago #45108

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
Make sure the mount is unparked. And the 'Manual' option for PAA is unchecked.
Manual is for non-got mounts such as star adventurer, allowing you to manually rotate the RA for each step.
4 years 5 months ago #45113

• Thank you received: 54
Thanks for your info. I now know what 'Manual' is for, and as far as I know the mount was not parked.

I have tested this issue with my prototype OnStep controller (motors but no mount) and the problem remained. As I did not know then what the Manual option was for, I thought I could check it and use the "Mount Control" window to move it in RA. As one can expect, nothing much happened but... nudging the mount a bit with the "Mount Control" made things work. After the 'nudge' EKOS slews the mount to, and acquires and solves in the second and third positions. So, its either that the OnStep driver/controller needs a little convincing or there is a small bug somewhere. Anyway, there is a workaround and I can live with it for the moment, as long as I do not forget the little mount control trick.
4 years 5 months ago #45114

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds