INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron GEM45

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic iOptron GEM45

Good choice! I am sure you will wnjoy it a lot!
4 years 3 months ago #46614

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Greg on topic iOptron GEM45

I have the IOptron GEM45-EC model and it is reporting as code 0044 which looks like will need to be added as well.

DEBUG 129.616196 sec : CMD <:MountInfo#>
DEBUG 129.649251 sec : RES <30 30 34 34>
ERROR 129.649364 sec : Mount with code 0044 is not recognized.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 9 months ago #55096

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic iOptron GEM45

Thank you for the report, it's added now to GIT.
3 years 9 months ago #55105

Thanks! I verified can connect now with new GIT:

Model: GEM45-EC
Board FW: 191018
Controller: 200113
RA/DEC:1 90722
3 years 9 months ago #55110

Also there is a new CEM70 model out along with an integrated Guider version as well. I'm assuming this will be under model 0070 if follows other models. Don't see a EC version for the CEM70 model, probably due to having a built in guider instead. So the base model and the guider model could be under the same 0070 model number or guider version could end up 0071. Don't have the new models to test with.

www.ioptron.com/category-s/233.htm
3 years 9 months ago #55126

Replied by Ralf on topic iOptron GEM45

Dear iOptron GEM45 experts,

I am a hobby astronomer from Germany and new here in this formun. I find the information you provide here is very helpful and highly accurate.

Please let me ask a question to you experts, because I did not find the right answer up to now in this formum:

Recently (this week!) I bought a new GEM45 mount from iOptron via a German dealer.
I try to get connected it to my rather old computer running on Linux Mint Cinnamon 32-Bit. I installed the Debian stable version of Indi with all drivers, Kstars and Ekos. No isue so far.
Then I select the GEM45 mount from the list in Ekos, start the Indi platform and try to connect to the mount. The mount is connected via USB wire to USB0 of my computer.
When I press the CONNECT button, I only get timeout errors , there is no connection possible. I tried all possible baud rates from 9600 to 115200, no difference.

When I select the iOptronV3 mount instead, then I can connect to the mount, but only with a baud rate of 115200. For all other baud rates I get the well known timeout errors and no connection.
But the connection with the iOptronV3 driver is not stable at all, I get a lot of timeouts in between and the operation of the mount is almost impossible.

Do you have any idea why the GEM45 driver is not working at all on my side? As far as I have seen in the forum, other useres can operate the mount with this driver or with the CEM40 driver.
The CEM40 driver by the way is in my case not connecting as well.

My GEM45 is using firmware 191018 for the main board and 200113 for the hand controller.

Hope you have any suggestions for me.

Best regards and CS
Ralf
3 years 9 months ago #55342

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic iOptron GEM45

Dear Ralf,

How do you connect the GEM45? Via the hand controller or directly with a USB cable connected to the mount? I have only tested the latter last year when I had a GEM45 at my disposal.

Also, what do you mean with "I installed the Debian stable version of Indi with all drivers, Kstars and Ekos"? Do you mean KStars from the Debian repositories? I am not sure if that actually works well because I don't know what release of KStars-bleeding this is based on. Please try the direct USB connection and see if that works. If not then perhaps you'll need to switch to kstars-bleeding, the download instructions for which can be found in the menu at the top of the forum.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 9 months ago #55352

I would try the nightly-build or bleeding build as mentioned. You can also use moserial (GUI serial terminal) (wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Moserial...ow&redirect=moserial) to test serial connection. Connect with 115200 Baud 8N1 and send "MountInfo#". The mount should return with its 4 digit model number. GEM45 -> "0043" GEM45EC -> "0044".
3 years 9 months ago #55355

Dear Wouter,

thank you very much for your fast reply and your welcome support.
I connected the USB port of 1my computer directly to the USB port of the mount with an USB cable (the USB port next to the HBX input). I also tried to get connection via the RS232 input at the hand box using an USB to RS232 converter, but this did not work either.

To install the SW I followed the instruction given in the download section (Sorry, I mixed up Debian with Ubuntu, I used the given Ubuntu installation procedure):

Stable Release
1. INDI Library is available for Ubuntu 16.04 and higher. To install stable INDI Library, run the following commands:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update

After update is complete, you can install INDI and optionally Ekos:

2. To Install INDI Library including all 3rd party drivers:
sudo apt-get install indi-full gsc

3. To install latest Ekos:
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

I did 1., 2. and 3. to install the SW. All worked fine.

Best Regards
Ralf
3 years 9 months ago #55371

Hello DZeek,

thanks a lot for your fast reply and your support as well.
I tried also the nightly-build version (installation like described in the download section for Ubuntu), but there was no difference compared to the stable version. So I returned to the stable version after this test.
I will do the test you described:
"Connect with 115200 Baud 8N1 and send "MountInfo#". The mount should return with its 4 digit model number. GEM45 -> "0043" GEM45EC -> "0044"
Hope I will manage that in Linux, because I am no expert on this OS up to now.
I will give you the result as feedback here.

Best Regards
Ralf
3 years 9 months ago #55372

Hello DZeek,

I did the test with the :MountInfo# comand and it worked.
The Mount returns 0043.

So the connection seems to be ok.

Ralf
3 years 9 months ago #55374

Also check your you diagnostic message in Linux for the USB connection: It should show the USB connection detection and assignment to the serial port, you can unplug the USB connection and plug back in to get in logs for current time. Otherwise will need to go back further in logs to find.

run at command terminal "dmesg -T" the -T option should return time in human readable format.

Example of mine:
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6015, bcdDevice=10.00
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: Product: FT230X Basic UART
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: D306TBUW
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] ftdi_sio 1-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: Detected FT-X
[Thu Jun 11 09:43:46 2020] usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1
3 years 9 months ago #55375

Time to create page: 1.376 seconds