INDI Library v1.8.3 Released (02 Jan 2020)

Minor monthly bugfix release with a new RainbowAstro mount driver and improved pier side simulation.

Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver

2 months 4 days ago
pedrodper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver #47200
Hi there!

So as part of a student project at the Technical University of Munich I made some changes to the LX200 10Micron driver in order to add the satellite tracking capability included in later versions. I still need to do some debugging and polishing and after that I would like to create a pull request and merge my changes upstream, I'm guessing some time around end of January. A short introduction to the project: we want to use the 10Micron mount together with a Celestron to track satellites and derive light curves from them, eventually we would like to automatically get precession and nutation information based on optical observations of uncontrolled satellites like ENVISAT.

My main concerns are as follows:
  • Since satellite tracking appears on a later version of the mount firmware (from 2.8.8) I do not want to break anything by building something version-specific. Are there version checks in INDI that I can copy? I could not find any but I did not look around that much :dry:
  • I made a lot of commits often with silly bugfixes or small increments. Should I clean up the history before creating the request
  • I worry that the status of the mount has to be broadcast somewhere else in INDI, although I could not find any sort of satellite tracking marks on inditelescope.h is there anything I should consider given that the mount is following an irregular trajectory?

I close with a question, is there any other driver that has a satellite tracking implementation? I looked around a bit but also couldn't find any :)

Thanks a lot in advance! I like this library SO. MUCH.

Best,
Pedro
The following user(s) said Thank You knro, Lead_weight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 4 days ago
Lead_weight
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver #47208
I don’t have an answer to your question, but looking forward to this update. I don’t think anyone has touched the driver in a while. Would be nice if it sync’d MBox weather data along with each plate solve to update the refraction data in the mount. Currently I use Mount Wizard or manually plug it in.

-Andrew
––––––––––
Mac Observatory - All about using the Mac for Astrophotography: www.macobservatory.com
Astrobin: www.astrobin.com/users/Lead_Weight/

2 months 4 days ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver #47211
That's indeed great news. Please try to see if you are affected by these issues, also reported in the driver. I believe that Hans (original developer of the driver) is quite busy now.

1. Guiding Restarts after Meridian flips
2. RA/DE errors in 10Microns

Regarding your questions.

1. This is done per driver basis, so please introduce a check for the firmware (if not there) and make the satellite part work that firmware level only. Now, if the firmware version is reasonably old (more than a year ago), then I don't think it's worth the effort since you can simply ask users to upgrade. UNLESS it is not possible to update for some models..etc, then it must be firmware-dependent checks.
2. Do not worry about that, all commits will be squashed on Pull-Requests.
3. I don't think you need to do anything at this moment. Clients would see it as tracking. Maybe you can do custom tracking rates and then these update second by second? Some drivers include custom driver rates.

Really looking forward to this project, great job Perdo!

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

2 months 4 days ago
mworion
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver #47214
Pedro,

great to hear. I did some work on 10micron for doing satellite tracking. Still in beta, but already running. It's on python and works directly with 10micron mounts. It is build based on function provided by skyfield (Brandon Rhodes), which bring a lot of needs functions with it.
There are a lot of features around to update select satellites and move them to the mount:

mountwizzard4.readthedocs.io/en/latest/e...n.html#satellite-tab

as well as having a look what the satellites are doing:

mountwizzard4.readthedocs.io/en/latest/e...ml#satellite-windows

The hoot install etc. is in the readthedocs.io explained and run on multiple platforms (as it it python3.7). As I'm closed to Munich as well, if I could help, please let me know.

Michel

2 months 3 days ago
pedrodper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Update on the LX200 10 Micron driver #47217
Hi,

thank you all for your replies! I will most definitely post my updates here.

@knro I will definitely take a look at those issues, I think we also had issues with the tracking after the meridian flip but it might have to do with our mount model not being that great, we have to do some adjustments still

@mworion WOW!!! Last time I took a look at the mount wizard was a looooong time ago, it has grown so much since then! You've done an amazing job there. I will most definitely take a look at it and maybe even contribute, although since I already did quite a bit of development in INDI proper I will probably keep working on the INDI-Ekos combination :)

Talk soon
Pedro

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds