INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AZ synscan : mount doesn't track

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I have problems using a synscan with an AZ GoTo mount.

Using Kstars/Ekos, when I the system ask to track a specific RA/DEC coordinates point, the 'main control' tab of the 'INDI control panel' indicates (most of the time) :

On Set : track
Tracking : Off

and the mount doesn't move instead of tracking.
Actually, sometimes 'Tracking' is On, sometimes is 'Off'. I didn't find any rational behind this strange behavior.

When 'Tracking' is Off, the Ekos tab indicates 'Mount Status : Idle'

I have the same weird behavior using skychart (carte du ciel).

Has it happened to someone else? Is there a way I can send more information to investigate this issue deeper?
Thank you.

ps :

synscan version : 4.39.1
indilib version : 1.8.3
4 years 2 months ago #47913

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
Hi,

I have found that the tracking state is set by synscan. Sometimes (unclear for me why) synscan just turns off tracking. It must be enabled on the handcontoller/synscan app.
4 years 1 month ago #49083

• Thank you received: 0
So you experienced the same thing as I did. But how can you be sure that the issue comes from the synscan itself and not from the INDI driver?
4 years 1 month ago #49210

Of course you can not. But But what I've experienced was that I had to turn on tracking on the handcontroller to resolve. The INDI correctly indicated that the tracking is off, but it was unable to turn tracking on. This may be a bug in the INDI driver.
But I've already experienced that synscan can turn off tracking in some situations (not randomly, but I cannot figure out the logic behind the behavior), especially the synscan app on the phone prone to that annoying thing.
4 years 1 month ago #49240

• Thank you received: 420
I have been using HEQ5-Pro and EQ6-R mounts for the past three years with Ekos and also found that using the hand controller is error prone. Ever since I switched to using an EQMod cable all my problems have gone away. I am using this one

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...er-H-EQ5-Mounts.html

and according to page 6 of the AZ Goto manual that cable fits on the mount as well. Perhaps it is a solution to your problems? I'll have to say that I tried using the cable with a 12" SynScan dob as well and it didn't work due to a different command set wrt equatorial mounts. But that was over two years ago and perhaps Ekos now supports that as well.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 1 month ago #49250

My dream is to control the mount with INDI directly without synscan, but I had no success so far. I was trying indi_skywatcherAltAz driver but had no luck. The driver can talk to the mount, but not working correctly. I've tried with my Virtuoso mount (for which is the driver designed for) and my 10" dobsonian, but neither works correctly.
4 years 1 month ago #49253

Enabling debug logging in Ekos and posting the logs here (click on Go To Editor to be able to share files) would help us help you analyse what’s wrong.
4 years 1 month ago #49258

One of my (many) problems is enabling debuging. On the INDI Control Panel I have a Debug option, which is Disable by default. When I click Enable it seems to toggle to enabled, but in less than a second it turns disabled again.

In the log window it says:

2020-02-09T18:06:17: [INFO] Debug is disabled.
2020-02-09T18:06:16: [INFO] Debug is enabled.

What do I missing?
4 years 1 month ago #49286

Thanks.

Meanwhile I've figured out that it was the Ekos that kept re-disabling debugging. I've enabled verbose logging instead of regular logging in Ekos and now debug is enabled on the INDI control panel. Most probably it would also work if I just disable "Log Output: To Client" on the INDI control panel.
That was the peace of information I was missing.
4 years 1 month ago #49303

Time to create page: 1.179 seconds