INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip Configuration

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Niki,
without logs it's not that easy. Could you please post the logs, I could take a look...

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niki
4 years 7 hours ago #51312

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Niki on topic Meridian Flip Configuration

Sorry, i would like to but my logs are always way to large. The one of yesterday has 47mb...

ill try to host it somewhere...

Niki
4 years 5 hours ago #51316

4 years 5 hours ago #51317

Hi Niki,
the meridian flip itself was running fine:
[2020-03-28T00:43:44.675 CET INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.mount] - Meridian flip: slewing to RA= "12h 46m 39s" DEC= " 42° 52' 29\""
[2020-03-28T00:44:31.677 CET INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Das Teleskop hat das Umschwenken am Meridian abgeschlossen."
[2020-03-28T00:44:31.693 CET INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Neue Ausrichtung nach dem Umschwenken wird durchgeführt ..."
[2020-03-28T00:44:50.459 CET INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Solution coordinates: RA (12h 46m 38s) DEC ( 42° 51' 48\") Telescope Coordinates: RA (12h 44m 06s) DEC ( 32° 14' 45\")"
[2020-03-28T00:44:50.542 CET INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Die erneute Ausrichtung nach dem Umschwenken wurde erfolgreich abgeschlossen."

But after this, it looks like the scope moves. There is one warning in the log:
[2020-03-28T00:01:36.529 CET INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount :  "[WARNING] Enforcing the pier side prevents a meridian flip and may lead to collisions of the telescope with obstacles. "

I'm not so familiar with EQ mounts. But if I get it right is, that you have a setting forcing the mount to stay on a certain pier side. This does not sound like a good idea for meridian flips.

- Wolfgang
4 years 4 hours ago #51320

• Thank you received: 28
Since my last post, I had two, IIRC, cases where the capture and slew of a target too close to the meridian would not point to the correct location. The location in KStars was where the scope was pointing, it just wasn't my target. I didn't post them at the time because I didn't have good notes to point someone else where to look for them in the logs (different nights and targets).

After I reset the mount and ensured it was working correctly (I don't recall what all I had wrong), automatic meridian flips have been working just fine. I'm using 1/2 hour past the meridian as my criterion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niki, Craig
Last edit: 4 years 3 hours ago by Richard Beck. Reason: update
4 years 3 hours ago #51321

Hi Wolfgang!

The first part of the Log you quoted says die erneute Ausrichtung blablabla wurde abgeschlossen. Thats right, the system "thinks" it is on the right point, but it is just NOT. Thats the funny thing.

The second thing you quoted, that i forced the mount to the other pier side was before that, when i tried to make the flip manually.
This would have worked besides that. The problem is happening after the flip.
The flip itself works flawless.

I´ll try it in German, maybe i have better words, i think you speak german Wolfgang?

Also folgendes problem passiert. Platesolve funktioniert eigentlich problemlos am Abend. Meine Objekte starten meist tief im Osten. Wen ich dann flippen muss, macht das system das problemlos.
Du musst dir das so vorstellen. Gestern hatte ich die Walgalaxie im Bild vor dem Flip. Fadenkreuz drauf, der "Rahmen" des Sensors nach dem Platesolve auch, alles normal.

Dann der Flip. Monti fährt das Objekt verkehrt an und ist relativ weit weg, ich hab das mal im Screenshot markiert wie weit in etwa das gestern war.

Also die Walgalaxie ist auf dem Screen da wo das Fadenkreuz ist. Der Rote Ring zeigt wo die Monti nach dem Flip hingefahren ist. Und da hat sie dann gemeint erneute Ausrichtung abgeschlossen.
Was ich dann natürlich gemacht hab, war mit der Maus auf die Walgalaxie zu klicken und dem System zu sagen "fahr da hin"
Und was macht das System? NICHTS! Es sagt sinngemäß. "Da bin ich doch schon"

Verstehst du wie ich das meine? Komplett unlogisch, ich kapiers nicht, vor allem warum VOR dem Flip alles hinhaut.

Die Zeit hab ich 3 mal gecheckt, die hat gepasst...

Werd jetzt mal alle Einstellungen der Montierung, bzw. des Platesolve löschen , mal sehen obs dann geht...
Aber jetzt ist erstmal schlechtwetter...

Grße
Niki
3 years 11 months ago #51333
Attachments:

Hi Niki,
right, I am native German. But I think, for a broader audience we should stay with English.

I'll send you my email address by PN, then we could continue to talk in German :-)

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niki
3 years 11 months ago #51334

• Thank you received: 133
Any news here? IMO the issue is not caused by the meridian flip in itself. I had the same problem [1] yesterday when pointing to a new target on the other side of the meridian. The slew ended up some 50⁰ away from the intended position (and the telescope marker in the sky view was on the target I clicked on). No debug active, and the plain kstars log doesn't tell much. But something's messed up in the pointing/model system....

[1] indilib.org/forum/ekos/6671-telescope-po...s-when-flipping.html
3 years 11 months ago #51376

No new results so far. It might be either a specific style to use Kstars/EKOS or a driver problem.
I found a strange thing in Niki‘s logs. The last slew to a target and the target the MF uses for flipping differ! This might be also the case with your situation.
Could you please elaborate what you exactly did - and post your log?

-Wolfgang
3 years 11 months ago #51390

• Thank you received: 133
(side note: I just clicked 'goto editor' after having already typed a lot of text, because I wanted to attach something. All typed text was deleted. this sucks!)

It is a problem that has never occurred to me before, and except for installing current versions of everything I didn't change something, neither in setup nor in ways of using things.

As mentioned in the linked thread, I had imaged (without issues) for a few hours, all on the east hemisphere. I had started from home position, and the first goto was spot-on.
I then focused another target (on the west hemisphere), clicked 'goto target' in kstars sky view, and once it had gone there I went to align tab and went for 'slew to target'. The sky marker was on the selected target (Antennae galaxies), but solving failed. So almost identical to the reported meridian flip issues, just that it wasn't MF, but 'only' a normal goto target on the other side.
After solving failed, I recorded a frame to disk, and externally blind solved it. This succeeded, but the reported coordinates were 50 degrees off, with positive instead of negative declination values (not just a sign error, but generally on the wrong side). I think I also tried a 'load and slew' with this image, and also slewed (using kstars sky view) to a close-by bright star to see if that is in the FOV. I also stored an image there, and that also solved to a location close to the first one.
Both of those (wrong) coordinates were relatively close to the target that I had imaged in the beginning - not sure if that is by accident, or part of the issue.
But the whole pointing model of the mount was completely off after this. When I told the mount to go to home position it was pointing somewhere in the wild (photo in the mentioned thread).
Log is attached. The relevant stuff starts 2020-03-29T02:10:24.399, but as I said, no debug active, so it's not too informative other than confirming the mismatch of actual and reported coordinates...

Oh wait - I just realize that this was just after switch to summer time. But how would that lead to pointing on the wrong side of the equator!?
3 years 11 months ago #51395
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Meridian Flip Configuration

Not sure it is the same issue, but I have experienced many times that when I click go-to I kstars, the mount goes somewhere else (often close by) and the pointer in kstars does not end up where I clicked. After clicking go-to again the mount either moves almost nowhere as it is already there (but infact somewhere else close by) or it goes to the correct taget. Seems like kstars and Indi are not completely synced or something. Since it eventually works correctly after a few tries, I currently have no debug logs to post.
3 years 11 months ago #51407

Universalmaster, could you verify that this happens on the Pierside east pointing west only? maybe?
Because thats exactly what happens to me.

Not able to try around because of wheather conditions atm...

greets
Niki
3 years 11 months ago #51408

Time to create page: 1.379 seconds