INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip Configuration

• Thank you received: 370
Good news, folks, we are starting to work on it. It will make the meridian flip more robust - hopefully - but the code complexity will grow again. Since there are mounts that now their pier side, others not, some can be forced into a meridian flip, others not etc.

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Beck, Craig
4 years 2 months ago #49497

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That's really strange, but maybe it's simply an edge case. Your mount does not take 2 minutes to slew? Or maybe you were not fast enough checking the hour angle?

The question that I always ask in such situations: are you really sure that date, time and location match 100% between the mount and KStars? Is KStars setup in such a way that it propagates its settings to the mount?

If not, that is a typical source for unexpected behaviour.

Wolfgang
4 years 2 months ago #49498

• Thank you received: 28
I don't know if the mount has any information not from KStars. I have confirmed that the OS time and KStars observation location times are on the same time zone and consistent with the location. I have also verified the location is correct. Where do I check that KStars propogates to the mount?

I did have to effectively reset the mount model after the initial test. The mount pointed so far from the first target that plate solving was going through several astrometry files trying to find where it was actually pointed. I stopped the plate solving and slewed to a point nearer the NCP which plate solved well. The following slew was also good with the target in the frame (2 deg x 1.5 deg).

I'll do a similar check later today.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Richard Beck.
4 years 2 months ago #49503

You can the values in the handset of your mount.

In the INDI settings of KStars:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 2 months ago #49508
Attachments:

I had my mount model very screwed up. I think I have it working correctly after going to the defaults, going to park and releasing the RA clutch to get the counterweight bar vertical. Now when the scope slews, it appears to be pointing in the right place plus the hour angle on the Ekos mount tab is consistent with the KStars hour angle.
4 years 2 months ago #49519

Here is a follow-up from a more-or-less successful evening.

I was working on M42 and did a solve and slew at HA ~+1minute. The mount was on the west pointing east at the start of the solve and moved to the east side. However, it would only slew to Alnitak or Alnilam at this point in time (consistent with the display in KStars). After playing around on the Horsehead Nebula (not sure how long), I could successfully move to M42.

Any suggestions?
4 years 1 month ago #49878

• Thank you received: 40
Last night while... ahhh making my normal, non-sleeping walk down the hall :whistle: , I checked my phone to see how close I was to a flip. I noticed a nice timer message counting down on the , which I hadn't noticed before.

Later after another trip (yeah, I'm getting old)... I saw in my yard cam that the rig did do the flip. Plus that message said Status: Inactive

My thoughts are, as long as that count-down message is running, it will flip.

Here's the simulator showing the same thing:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by David Tate.
4 years 1 month ago #49883
Attachments:

I think you missed my point. I didn't call for a switch in direction. I only commanded a solve and slew. I didn't look at the hour angle until after the slew took the mount to the east side.
4 years 1 month ago #49884

• Thank you received: 138
Any slew that is done when the mount prefers to be on the other side of the pier will do a flip.

All that the pier flip process does is wait until the flip condition is reached, then does a slew to the current coordinates.
4 years 1 month ago #49889

It's OK that the flip occurred. The issue is it wouldn't then go to the target (M42). The actual (not the desired) behavior was replicated in KStars. I would think that if the logic says we need to flip that it would then go to the target, not just somewhere close.

The capture and slew and, if I recall correctly, a load and slew did not go to M42 at that point in time. Several minutes later (didn't make note of the actual hour angle), it finally would go to the target.
4 years 1 month ago #49899

• Thank you received: 133
It goes to the same coordinates. Where that is 'on the sky' depends on the quality of your pointing model. So usually it does a solve-and-slew round after flip, if the flip was initiated by EKOS. If it does the flip because it hit the mounts setting limit, this of course doesn't happen, and you are left with the accuracy of your pointing/alignment.
4 years 1 month ago #49903

• Thank you received: 138
Normally it's possible to reach any position from one side or the other of the pier and it is possible to track a reasonable distance past the meridian. I'm not sure that all of this applies to your mount and you have a very small range where you can reach an object wth the mount on either side of the meridian. It may even be that there is a zone which can't be reacked at all.

As Der Pit says pointing errors may make your mount point differently when the pier side is changed. Ekos will usually do a solve and sync after a pier flip, at least when it's imaging.

As I said before I don't think there's anything in Ekos to manage hour angle limits, at least at present.

i'm not sure how much we can help though, we can't see your mount and so can't see much of what is needed to help you work out what is going on. A few lines of social media posting doesn't give us much. The result is confusion, misunderstanding and misinformation.
4 years 1 month ago #49905

Time to create page: 1.138 seconds