INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

question about iOptron Sky Guider Pro

• Thank you received: 2
I use the SkyGuider Pro with Ekos. In my setup I have a DSLR (Sony A7R2) with a 400mm lens attached to the SkyGuider. In the hotshoe of the camera I have a guide scope (ZWO 30F4) with a guide camera (ZWO ASI120MM-S). I use Ekos for imaging and for guiding. Guiding is obviosly RA only and done via the camera, i.e., the SkyGuider guide-input is connected to the guide-output of the guide camera, and the guide camera USB-connector is connected to a Stellarmate which runs Kstars/Ekos. In my Ekos configuration I configured the Telescope Simulator as mount, the A7R2 is my imaging camera, the ASI120 is my guide camera, the 400mm lens is my primary scope, and the 30F4 is my guide scope.

Yesterday I also updated my SkyGuider with iOptron's iPolar scope for better polar alignment. Unfortunately, I don't have a clear sky today to test that out.....

Regards,
Werner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis
4 years 1 month ago #49523

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Ah, I see. The mount driver is not needed in that case - when Ekos is used for imaging and for auto-guiding. I guess this is probably the only way this mount can be used with Ekos.
I am not saying that Sky Guider Pro is not good btw. I would love to get this kind of super light and mobile setup, especially for traveling!

Thank you for reply!
4 years 1 month ago #49550

• Thank you received: 5
Dear Star-friends,

just a few annotations...

The SkyGuider Pro is just motorized in RA - so you should set the guiding to RA-only.
In the guiding-options you have to chose the guiding-camera also as the guiding target (I think the point is called "via"), deactivate guiding in DE (see above) and connect the SkyGuider's ST4-port with your guiding camera and you're set. Since the mount isn't connected to the computer directly, there's no point in choosing a telescope, thus choosing the telescope simulator is correct-

You should get the polar alignment on point, otherwise the drift in DEC will limit your exposure-times drastically...

Take care

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis
3 years 11 months ago #51861

• Thank you received: 20
Thank you for reply - makes sense to me!
Yeah, proper polar alignment is sure thing :) Also, I organized my process in a way when I don't need to touch mount after polar alignment is done.
3 years 11 months ago #51914

• Thank you received: 182
I would suggest considering this mount instead of the SkyGuider Pro:

www.ioptron.com/product-p/3200.htm

It has full GoTo capability, can be guided in both axes, dithering can be used, Meridian flip and Scheduler work fine, etc. In all respects, it is a full--fledged mount with all the capabilities of an EQMod mount at almost the same price as a SkyGuider Pro.

Like the SkyGuider Pro, though, it is a low end mount, which means that its mechanical tolerances are not the best, but one can overcome that by using aggressive guiding parameters. For wide field up to 400 mm focal length it is perfectly fine. It also can be operated on internal batteries, so power requirements are minimal when you want to go out camping in the field for one night.

I forgot to mention: It costs very little more than a SkyGuider Pro, but can do 10x as much.

Guiding is not always perfect, but it works for wide field.

Fore anyone getting into astrophotography, this is definitely the least expensive way to explore the full range of what Kstars has to offer.

But depending on the coordinates, it can be pretty good:

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 11 months ago #51977
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0

Did you do the polar alignment with Ekos in this setup, or just using your eyes? I am wondering if Ekos polar alignment will work with non-motorized aligning.
3 years 6 months ago #60561

• Thank you received: 420

It works. You need to select the telescope simulator as mount and rotate the mount by hand between the consecutive images taken for plate solving but apart from that it works fully automatic.

Wouter
3 years 6 months ago #60565

I’m getting the Skyguider pro and has Stellarmate. Your posts are very helpful, thx. Do you have tips on plate solving to center an object using Ekos on this mount without GOTO capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 years 5 months ago #62054

• Thank you received: 226
I have a tip. Use the solved frame on the sky map to guide you as you push the scope closer to your target and desired rotation. Solving again after each movement.
3 years 5 months ago #62113

Is it possible to use Ekos to slew to the object’s RA coordinate then rotate DEC manually?
3 years 5 months ago #62130

• Thank you received: 420
No, this is not possible with the SkyGuider Pro. But you can do a plate solve and then manually adjust the pointing.
3 years 5 months ago #62131

Please help!

I have two of the iOptron mounts: Skyguider Pro and CEM40.

Still can’t properly guide despite precise polar alignment. My SGP mount, guiding in RA, seems to over correct, is that right? I keep getting the “Delta RMS threshold exceeded” error message.

How do you set to wide field guiding? I am using Orion mini scope on qhy 5-II-m for guiding my main scope Radian Raptor with focal length of 274 mm on Canon 60Da DSLR.
3 years 3 months ago #64541
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.944 seconds