INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron CEM60 Question

• Thank you received: 28
With the cloudy nights we're having here, I can't help but look at future upgrades.

I'm presently using an EQ6 Pro (not the EQ6R) which appears to have periodic error that can only be handled with the PHD2 PPEC guiding algorithm. In looking for a mount with both a higher payload and Permanent PEC, it seems the iOptron CEM60 might be a good option.

Based on some posts I've seen, I am wondering if the driver reports a pier side change after a meridian flip to PHD2. I would appreciate it if someone can confirm this indeed works. It appears that V20141229 of the firmware upgrades for the HC, main board, RA board and DEC board fixes a bug on side of pier reporting.

Thanks.
3 years 11 months ago #51647

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
No, the CEM60 does not report pier side, unfortunately. At least not the mount itself, and the HC isn't used by INDI.
So automatic meridian flips will not work with PHD2, as after the flip the calibration needs to be flipped, too. PHD2 would do this itself if pier side info is given, but that's not the case. So you need to flip it manually. Unfortunately EKOS has (currently) no option to do this itself after a meridian flip.
3 years 11 months ago #51847

Replied by Richard Beck on topic iOptron CEM60 Question

Thanks for the info DerPit. That is what I was afraid would be the answer.
3 years 11 months ago #51849

Yes, it's a quite unfortunate drawback for an otherwise absolutely great mount (I do have the EC version, though). A real pity. I've mentioned it to Wolfgang (sterne-jäger) in some other thread . Maybe we can bribe him to have a closer look ;-)
3 years 11 months ago #51850

Here is the firmware version history I mentioned in my original post:This reads to me that their ASCOM driver can get pier side from the main board. If I'm reading correctly, and if I understand the drivers correctly, the iOptron driver you are using now would need to be duplicated and named as the CEM60 driver before adding the capability of getting the pier side from the main board.

Your request on the other thread should be easier to implement. I'm looking forward to the general resolution from that thread with my present set up.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Richard Beck. Reason: Read linked thread.
3 years 11 months ago #51851

Yes, I've been told (I don't use any windows) the ASCOM driver does report a pier side info to the application. But it doesn't come from the mount. At least, I wouldn't know how. There's no command for that in the communication protocol (v2.5) . Getting PS from the mount is (AFAIK) only supported by v3.0 and later, which is only for/used by the CEM120 (and maybe newer) mounts.

Not that I wouldn't appreciate being proven wrong on that.....
3 years 11 months ago #51852

If I'm reading forum posts on Cloudy Nights correctly, the ASCOM driver is getting pier side from the RS232 port. I interpret this as coming either from the main board or the RA board.

It would be nice to snoop the connection to see what information is available.
3 years 11 months ago #51853

• Thank you received: 138
One way, I think the best way, to get pier side information is to read the declination axis value. If it's in the range +90 to 0 to -90 that's one pier state, if +90 to 180 to 270/-90 that's the other state. that relies on being able to read the axis position from the mount, not the corrected Declination position.

Or get the equivalent Celestron mount :) They report pier side correctly.
3 years 11 months ago #51858

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic iOptron CEM60 Question

Hi,

while waiting for my CEM60 to arrive I tried to make some emulator to get it connected to the ASCOM driver. Very much surprised, there seem to be some undocumented commands.

1. :MountInfo# Ascom sends :DeviceInfo# which seems to have same format.

Then I got until an undocumented command :GEA#
(haven't figured out exactly what should be replied) but this seems to define the pierside in Ascom

reply: +1866982021778696# -> West
reply: -1866982021778696# -> East

Suppose these is something before and past meridian, but no clue yet (found these numbers from someones APT cem60 logging)

It will be interesting to see when the mount arrives.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
3 years 11 months ago #52154

Wow, now that's interesting. I can confirm that both commands do work with my CEM60EC.
:DeviceInfo# has additional output. When :MountInfo# only reports the model number (061 in my case), :DeviceInfo# gives 006100000570#. No idea what that could refer to :(
The :GEA# command, at zero position (pointing at NCP) here gives +0000000043200000#
Your example somewhat suggests that the first part is something like the raw declination value that Chris refered to, just with different limits. Or probably one has to compare it with the 'real' declination of the object, and same or opposite sign refer to E or W pier side? That would be great of course!

Unfortunately I don't have the time to look at it in more detail right now, I have to fix other things at work. But will do ASAP.

And ***** iOptron for hiding such important commands from the documentation :(
3 years 11 months ago #52155

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic iOptron CEM60 Question

I wonder how (or if) this will work on an non EC version ... GEA smells a bit like "Get Encoder Absolute" ??

There are also some :MM00# thru :MM05# commands which have something to do wit alignment model, but without a mount difficult to find out.

P
3 years 11 months ago #52156

• Thank you received: 138
All very interesting. Are the ASCOM driver sources published?

I've found a manual that gives a :GEC# command:
Command: “:GEC#”
Response: “sTTTTTTTTXXXXXXXX#”
This command include a sign and 16 digits, and gets r ight ascension and declination.
The sign and first 8 digits stands for current declination.
The last 8 digits stands for current right ascension.

The units for declination are 0.01 arc seconds.

If the GEA command follows this pattern and the zero is at 90 dec with the range -180 to +180 then the sign is all that matters.
If that's the case then PDB's declination is +36.139 degrees.

It really needs a developer with a suitabe mount.
3 years 11 months ago #52170

Time to create page: 1.111 seconds