INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron Nexstar Evolution

• Thank you received: 5
Hi there. I've been working on the CCD side of my automation project up to now, assuming that the SkyPortal app from Celestron would deal with the going-to side of things. However, the app failed on me last night (claimed it was a beta version and then, on reinstall, refused to download its star database) so I've decided to bring my automation of "going-to" plans forward.

On the Nexstar Evolution mount there are four Aux ports, no PC port. I know there is a PC port on the base of the handset but I don't need no steeenkin' handset.

My question is: is it possible to use the Aux ports on this mount, directly, for control from a PC? If so, can anyone point me at the electrical characteristics and would the current (new!) Indi drivers be likely to work with it? Any answers, or vague hints in the right direction, are most welcome, as Celestron don't seem to do this sort of customer support thang very well.

[EDIT] I've found this helpful document , which gives me hope, assuming the Aux port is wired/protocolled the same on the Nextstar Evolution as it is on the Nexstar GPS. [/EDIT]
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Rob Meades.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3853

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic Celestron Nexstar Evolution

I have actually started to develop AUX driver for NexStar scopes.
It is in the early alpha-stage but already kind of works.
It is *not* ready for general audience but probably it is ready for bug-hunting/alpha-testing.
The source and some docs about the scope is located at github:
github.com/jochym/nexstar-evo
Remember alpha-quality. You have been warned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Christian
Last edit: 9 years 2 days ago by Paweł. Reason: Typo
9 years 2 days ago #3988

• Thank you received: 41
Nice one! Do you know if it will work with CGE Pro too? And do I need a cable different from the RS232 cable connected to hand control?

Greetings,
Christian
8 years 11 months ago #4027

• Thank you received: 2
I am also working with CGE Pro. As far as I can understand it will work even through hand control (NexRemote does)
8 years 11 months ago #4030

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic Celestron Nexstar Evolution

Possibly. It may work with any mount with AUX connector or any mount compatible with SkyQlink adaptor. It will work over serial line when I (or someone) implements the serial communication module for the driver. It is on the list and should be easy. It should work over SkyQlink, AUX connector and probably also through pc connector on HC. BTW it is now developed within the 3rd party drivers of main INDIlib. Makes it much easier to test and compile.
8 years 11 months ago #4031

• Thank you received: 2
Good luck, Jochym! When ready for beta-testing let me know - I need this very much, pretty soon I will get second observatory (several hundreds kilometers away). I need to be able to control both observatories without physical intervention :)
8 years 11 months ago #4033

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds