INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Newbie need advise on buying his 1st GEM

• Thank you received: 15
Hi Mohamed,

I have a Skywatcher HEQ-5 which is in the same class as the AVX. Costs just below 1000 Euros here in Europe. I have it loaded with almost 10 kg (Celestron C9.25“) which is the upper limit for AP IMHO. I‘m really satisfied with the mount, I decided to buy a HEQ-5 and not an EQ-6 because of the price (I had a budget of 1000 as well) and the lower weight (I have to carry it out and into the house every session...).

The Skywatcher EQs work with the Indilib EQMOD driver which is really nice and loaded with options. What telescope are you planning to use with the mount?

CS, Bernd

Edit: From the image in your other post (NexStar...) and your scope‘s focal length of 2032 mm you seem to have a NexStar 8. An 8“ SCT perfectly fits a HEQ-5 (and AVX, too) with room (concerning payload) for additional equipment like guide scope, filter wheel, whatever.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Bernd Limburg.
3 years 9 months ago #55528

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25
Hi Jo

Thank you for your reply. My gear (without mount) is about 16 lbs (C8SE, guide scope, OAG, T3i camera, ZWO guide camera, pi, and other accessories). Of course, easy setup is a huge advantage, but I don't mind leave the mount (with suitable cover) over the deck as I mainly use it in my backyard. I plan to travel to an astronomy park, but I don't think that would be often. I want to replace the AltAz mount that came with the 8SE with GEM.
3 years 9 months ago #55531

Thank you Bernd, You are correct, I have the SCT 8SE with Canon 600D & both OAG and guider scope (experimenting). I have also other accessories for the Nexstar mount as Celestron SkySync GPS. Do you know if I can use it with HEQ-5?

Here is my latest rig picture
3 years 9 months ago #55532
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 15
Hmm, I don‘t think that the SkySync will work with the HEQ-5 but I don‘t know for sure.

I‘m using the HEQ-5 with Indi on a Raspi which has internet connection (via my house wifi). So the EQMOD driver gets the coordinates and local time from the Pi, so no need for a GPS module. But if you‘re out in the field, a standalone GPS receiver is nice and comfortable.
3 years 9 months ago #55533

• Thank you received: 182
The GPS should not be the decisive factor. You can use a GPS dongle instead for the few times you are going to a dark site. If you are at home, you won't need it. Enter your coordinates once and you are set.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWEEWW8/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would also recommend the HEQ-5. Thought about that as well, but don't have first hand experience with it. But I know it uses EQMOD and that is the same driver my Atlas Pro is using. And that works VERY WELL, from Day 1, no problem.

The SmartEQ is too small for your telescope, so forget that recommendation. I did not know you already had one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohamed
3 years 9 months ago #55534

The biggest problem I see with that setup is the deck. That vibrates like crazy! No way will you get good long exposures with that. You either need a pier or transfer your telescope to the lawn. Best to put some tiles into the ground as well, to reduce shifting soil problems. I have done that in my lawn and have had no problems since.
3 years 9 months ago #55535

• Thank you received: 138
I've had an AVX for many years and I think it's an excellent mount. It certainy carries 10 kg for imaging.

Jo's point about having a set up that is quick and easy to set up - and more importantly close down in a hurry - is a good one, and the AVX does it for me. I've got two 80mm scopes mounted side by side with a Raspi 3 driving an Atik 383L+, an ASI 1120mm guide camera, a Moonlite focuser and a quantum filter wheel. The mount is controlled using a separate Pi zero. Everything is connected wirelesly and I'm using 12V to 5V adaptors so the whole lot is driven by one 12V supply. I can carry it out and set it up in 5 minutes and get it in in two.

One thing about the Celestron mounts is that the alignment and control is mature and just works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohamed
3 years 9 months ago #55539

Thank you Chris. Do you have any issues with AVX with Ecos/Indi use?

Thank you
Mohamed
3 years 9 months ago #55541

Do you think Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads will solve this problem?

www.celestron.com/products/vsp-vibration-suppression-pads
3 years 9 months ago #55543

Short answer is 'no', because what is vibrating are the wooden 2x4s on the deck. I made that experience first hand a few years ago when I wanted to image a moonrise in a nature preserve in New Mexico. There was an observation deck, sturdier that your patio deck, and whenever someone moved at the other end of the deck the entire camera moved about half a moon's width. That was with a 600 mm lens. Imagine the trails that will make with your 8"! I could see the image shaking even from breathing in and out when I was alone on that deck.

I also have vibration pads, they are good to prevent the tripod legs from sinking into the grass, so definitely they will work there, but they will make no difference at all on your deck.

You can try that out with your current setup, just take 10s exposures with your Alt/Az mount while moving around on your deck, then look at the star trails. If you are serious about astrophotography, you will see right away that that is not going to work.
Don't take my word for it, try it out. You already have the equipment to do that test.

PS: If you run the rig exclusively from inside the house, maybe, just maybe, you will get a few useful frames, but the problem with that will be that for the polar alignment you will have to step out on the deck and that will bend the 2x4s enough to throw off your polar alignment. I see no way how can get around that. What you could do, is cut a hole in the deck and sink a concrete pier into the ground below, at least 3 to 4' deep. Make sure that the deck is not touching the pier anywhere. Then that site will work for your mount.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 9 months ago #55544

• Thank you received: 138

No. If there were problems I would fix them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
3 years 9 months ago #55557

Out of curiosity, Chris, why did you give up your AVX mount?

I am considering getting an intermediate one between my iOptronSmartEQPro+ and my Atlas EQ/AZ. The latter being an outstanding mount in all respects and I love it, but it is getting a little too heavy and awkward to lift out through my patio door into the backyard. I am getting worried that I will slip a disk one day. The former being not precise enough for focal lengths longer than 300 mm or so.

I have been debating about the iOptronCEM25P, the HEQ-5 and the Celestron AVX.

They are all very comparable, with Pros and Cons.

What are your thoughts? Which one would you pick?

Best wishes and have a great Sunday,

Jo
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 9 months ago #55570

Time to create page: 1.056 seconds