INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nexstar 4SE controlled with skysafari 6pro trough indi server (Raspberrypi)

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

First of all, great thanks for your work, it's really nice to have all these open sources tools to go improve our practice of astronomy.

I am posting on this forum after hours searching the web a way to control my mount through skysafari 6 pro (IOS) using a raspberry pi as indi server. I am running out of ideas to make it work, so I would really appreciate someone to help me on this.

Here is my equipment :
- Mount - Celestron Nexstar 4 SE (with remote version 4.22, an old one)
- Raspberry pi 3 with raspbian, all indilib and kstars installed on it. It's configured as a wifi access point so my laptop/phone can access it's network and connect to indi server. Is also linked to my mount throught USB/Serial adaptor and the rj11 connector on the Nexstar.
- A macbook with stellarium installed
- An iphone with Skysafari 6 pro installed.

I followed this tutorial : indilib.org/devices/telescopes/skysafari.html in order to control my nexstar mount using skysafari 6 pro on my phone, but I am stuck when trying to make skysafari connect to indi.

On the raspberry pi, the kstar configuration seems to be correct as I am able to wifi control the mount from my laptop using Stellarium, but when it comes to skysafari, a connection error message is displayed.

In Kstar, in skysafari options I've correctly set the mount to the same name as the equipment selected. And on skysafari app, I've set LX200 GPS/ACF, LX600 as mentionned in the tutorial, and tried other options too, but nothing works.

Has anyone ever made this work and could help me with my configuration.

Thanks,

Matt
3 years 8 months ago #57056

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
It works for me using an EQMod mount. Note the SkySafari port in the KStars/INDI configuration and make sure that you know the IP address of the Raspberry Pi. It is NOT localhost! And then make sure to fill out the correct IP address and the SkySafari port in SkySafari and it will work. I tried this from my MacBook, my iPad and my iPhone. All three work like a charm. Note that both the Raspberry Pi and the MacBook/iPad/iPhone need to be connected to the same WIFI network. It will not work if you use an iPhone via 3G or 4G.

HTh, Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #57074

Thanks wvreeven,

I think my network configuration is correct as I manage to control my mount through Stellarium on my laptop.

On the raspberry which is the server, kstar/ekos have localhost as IP, but on clients like stellarium and skysafari I've set the IP address of the raspberry pi (192.168.X.X). I think my problem comes from a misconfiguration wether in kstar/ekos or skysafari but I can't tell what. Maybe i'm misunderstanding the use of ports. Indeed, now you're telling me, stellarium work but on port 7624 and not on 9624. In skysafari, both ports seems not to be connecting to the server.

On the tutorial I've read that it's necessary to set LX200 GPS as mount in skysafari, even if the real mount is different. And on kstars the example is provided with EQmod mount should I use the same mount in the configuration or add my real mount (NexStar 4SE), and configure it in skysafari options of kstars ?

Cheers,
3 years 8 months ago #57079

I am currently away from home shooting images of comet Neowise. Tomorrow I will connect our iOptron GEM45 again and will take some screenshots of the config of the mount and SkySafari in Ekos and of the telewcope connection in SkySafari.

In short:
- the mount in Ekos should be the NexStar
- the ip address in the SkySafari driver in Ekos should NOT be localhost but 192.168.X.X and make sure that the two ports do NOT have the same value
- In SkySafarii use the LX200 and connect to the ip address of tge raspberry oi and the AkySafari poirt in Ekos

If you want to set your own port values then make sure both are larger than 1024 but best not to touch them at all.

Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #57083

Hi wvreeven,

Indeed, I was setting localhost in skysafari options in ekos, which could explain my problem.

I'll try that once back home.

Thanks for your help, and good shooting session.

Matt
3 years 8 months ago #57085

Thank you so much wreeven,

Everything works now, don't bother with the screenshots. it was just the ip address set in ekos skysafari options... Exactly as you told me !

Thank you for your help and your fast answers !

Enjoy Neowise !

Matt
3 years 8 months ago #57092

Good to hear that it all now works. Enjoy SkySafari!

Clear skies, Wouter
3 years 8 months ago #57097

Time to create page: 3.205 seconds