INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Sky Watcher ALT-AZ driver does not work.

• Thank you received: 30
On the NanoPi M4 ARM64 system, KStars crashes when I connect the mount driver. .. .. .. .. ..

At the same time, the system will crash. .. ..

I have returned to the previous trouble environment. .. ..
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by T-Studio.
3 years 3 months ago #64892

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
There has been a lot of work on that driver lately. I suggest getting the github version and compiling for some of the latest changes and fixes. Some versions of Ekos may crash on driver connection, however if you keep the scope powered off until after starting the Ekos/Indi connections, then turn the scope on and connect in Indi, it should behave for the rest of the session. The mount controller panel in Ekos has had some issues and is being worked on. Some improvements have been made. If the latest compiled version still gives your trouble with the mount controller, then the mount controls in Indi may be used. Not as convenient, I know.

I now use that driver exclusively with my scope, and find that the plate-solving and Kstars GOTO methods of pointing all but remove any need for manual control.
3 years 3 months ago #64897

Thank you for information.

I think that many of the causes of troubles, including this driver, are due to insufficient implementation and initial settings of the park function.

I feel that this mount does not require the Park function.
3 years 3 months ago #64960

The way the park function works in the current compile version is much better. Basically, you unpark at the beginning and it does nothing (no slew), but then you can move the scope. If you park at the end of your session it will slew to horizon Alt and North Az. This has value for those who program a sequence of targets and need the scope pointed for dome or roof closure at the end. I agree for use as a portable DOB, there is little value for a park at the end of the session.

The latest version has much better tracking than previous versions. Guiding also now works pretty well with the internal Ekos guider for an Alt/Az mount. However, you may have to un-comment the two lines in the code to renable guiding in the current compile. The last time I looked, that hadn't been done yet. If the guiding tab does not show up in INDI, that will be the reason. Those two lines are below a comment that is easy to find as it has the string "TODO" in it and is the only instance of that string in the code.

I haven't tested the mount controller in the latest version, as I don't use it. I do know that the Joystick implementation works very well. The last time I used the mount controller, I did not have good results, but it may have been seen too since then.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 3 months ago #64980

After changing the source, it seems that the apt update is not available. ....

I am looking forward to an early update of the driver. (Not updated yet)
3 years 2 months ago #65590

There is still some work to be done on the guiding and, as far as I know, the mount controller simulated hand control may still be buggy (I don't use it). I do know that the Joystick control is solid. It is fairly easy to compile from github if you follow the instructions down near the bottom of the page.
3 years 2 months ago #65600

The driver for NanoPiM4 (Armbian: Arm64, Bionic) has been updated, so I expected it and updated it.

result:
KStars crashes when I connect the driver. The system is also malfunctioning and requires a reboot.

It was a disappointing result.
Attach the log.
3 years 2 months ago #65684
Attachments:

I have also had issues with KStars crashing on driver connect. On my systems (Raspberry Pi4 running Ubuntu Server), it seems to be a timing thing. If I start Ekos, then wait a bit (30 seconds or so), it starts without issue and runs normally.
3 years 2 months ago #65688

Thank you for your reply.
Indi is a very nice environment, but I would like you to consider the compatibility of the initial setting file when reviewing the driver setting items and updating.
Even though the function does not change, items related to parks and domes are added to the driver and it does not work, or the initial settings are not read and problems often occur.
3 years 2 months ago #65698

I should let you know that I am not directly associated with indilib. I have written a documentation for a driver and am a retired programmer, though like you, am an end user. While it is likely others with some actual authority will be reading this thread, I have none.

This community thrives on suggestions and bug reports are always helpful. The community also works best with the combined experience of experienced and users contributing input and potential solutions. The community frequently comes up with options, methods and work-arounds for issues which arise in the software. It is a monumental job to keep up with the changes in hardware and software for all the hardware and software supported with every change and to maintain the codebase.

In the case of this particular driver, it was an adaptation from another driver for a different mount. So, it is not so much that the Park and Dome were added and non-working as they were carried over from the previous driver and time for debug work did not allow the discovery of the issue. I speculate that the original modification for the intended mount may have fallen aside with the arrival of the SynScan device and subsequent indi_synscan_telescope driver, creating a duplication of drivers for the same scope, despite different methods
Recently, there has been some significant work done to the driver to address some of the issues. Park now works as expected and some of the code that caused that and other issues has been removed. I am currently using this driver for every session with my 250P with good success. There are still 3 bugs on my list, but they are more inconvenient than detrimental.

I run Linux on RPi4's, and indi is the only reasonable choice. Having run programming shops in my working life, I am amazed at the amount of code that is written and maintained by so few, especially with most of it being available at the raw code level. Indi is a very nice environment, and astronomy is on fire globally at the moment. With patience and reasonable suggestions for improvements, I believe it can only get better.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 2 months ago #65707

Yes, I understand that you are a user.

I have been using INDI for 4 years.

The evolution in the meantime was amazing.

However, I also feel that there are improvements due to repeated updates.

I have a lot of information and distributions about INDI on my blog.

The blog also mentions notes about INDI, so please have a look if you have time.

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-3.html

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-31.html
3 years 2 months ago #65777

@T-Studio: Thanks, I will look at it this afternoon. I may get involved with the KStars handbook update shortly it would be good to review that kind of change detail.

Take a look at the thread: indilib.org/forum/general/6762-indiserve...or-synscan-goto.html
It contains a running dialog of testing and changes made by some of the programmers working on this particular driver along with some of my testing and results.
3 years 2 months ago #65778

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds