INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CEM40G Does not connect using Astroberry

• Thank you received: 7
I just got my first mount last week, a small grade from my 1960's Tasco. I discovered Astroberry and have been running my CEM40, over USB2, for several days with no problems however last night it quit working with an error "Failed to connect to port (/dev/ttyUSB1) Error Port Failure ERROR no such file..."
Checking with lsusb I get
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1233:1455 Denver Electronics
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0130:1466
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I tried two builds of Astroberry on an RPI3B and RPI4 with identical results. I contacted iOptron and got the quick reply "We received some reports about unstable connection of CEM40 to Raspberry Pi, i.e. ASIAIR; it might connect one time but fail another time. You may try the same with Windows. "
I tried windows and it works fine.

So I have a couple of question for anyone that can help. Has anybody heard of this. I would seem to impact StellerMate and other products if it is a RPI issue. Do I need to abandon the RPI and use a windows machine? If so how do I put INDI on the PC?

My nirvana would be to run everything from my Mac remotely but I also have a Windows VM and can get something for the mount. It would be best if I could run everything, like iPolar, without having 3 machines. My camera is a Sony A7R4 and EKOS/INDI seems to do almost everything, almost.

Thanks
Kurt
3 years 1 month ago #67100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I struggled with this problem and I found a simple fix. Some how the value gets changed aft a few uses. This is aimed to frustrate you. Start EKOS. Go to the INDI window click on the Connection Tab under PORT on the right hand panel change USB1 to SUB0 and click the set button.

I have the same mount and like you it is my first mount. I would like to know how it works for you and how Astroberry is working. I have a Sony A7R4 and I have a few issues. Guiding with the CEM40G uses the V4L2_CCD the iGuide selection in INDI is wrong. When your run this got to the INDI controls and the image_info tab. Change the max width to 1280 and the pixel size to 3.75 before starting PHD2.

I got rotten guiding results about 7 arctic p-p. The unguided mount works better than the guiding with PHD2. I also found that KSTARS crashes a lot. IDK Why.

Kurt
3 years 3 weeks ago #68083

• Thank you received: 30
If I understand correctly, your mount is connecting to different USB ports when started. Right?
The answer to this is to map your mount to a usb port using an udev rules file.
In stellarmate os there is a facility for doing this without manually editing files. I do not know astroberry
3 years 3 weeks ago #68096

Jabian

That is what I found out. It worked and then for some reason it quit. I changed the USB to USB0 and now it seems to work all the time.

Since you responded here I do have a question for you. I considered getting StellarMate but I could get Astroberry with instant gratification. Astroberry is Kstars/INDI/EKOS plus PHD2. I have been running it with my Sony A7R4 and CEM40G. Everything works fine but for two things which would cause me to buy StellerMate in a a blink of an eye if it fixes any of these issues. The biggest issue is that it will crash several times. I can usually recover from a crash in few minutes but it is not fun. The second thing is that the Sony Images don't download. I still get the FITS file in EKOS so the fact that I have to go to the camera to get the raw files is not big deal.

So the to kill for function to me is to get focus control for Sony Lenses. I can do this in the Sony Imaging Edge software but as you know it is hard to get the best focus looking at a not so magnified star image. Some other metric like full width 1/2 max would work. EKOS has auto focus for telescopes but not for the cameras. I set us gphoto2 and I think that it can control the focus but I haven't figured that out. I say this because the camera has a configuration called CrDeviceProperty_NearFar. And it has values from -7 to +7. The Imaging Edge software has focus buttons that move the focus new and far with 3 choices of step size. I am guessing that that corresponds to NearFar of -7 -3 -1 and +1 +3 and +7.

So I guess I am writing all of this because I am hoping someone can either give me a tip that will enable me to implement this function or someone like you could add this as a feature to StellarMate. This would be a big hep to people like me who are using camera's for Astrophotography before advancing to a telescope.

Thanks

Kurt
3 years 3 weeks ago #68112

• Thank you received: 30
Sorry I have no experience with Sony cameras.
In any case as you are asking different questions than the one in the title maybe you should consider to ask these questions in a different post.
About crashes, you also get crashes with Stellarmate once in a while. I do not know about driver C++ programming and whether crashes are difficult to avoid/recover even using a defensive style or what. But, in my experience, crashes somehow diminish with time, as you get familiar with the application.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68114

Time to create page: 4.221 seconds