INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can you control your mount remotely with locally connected joystick?

• Thank you received: 27
Hi,

I recently discovered that there is joystick support in INDI. What a great feature! Last week I was struggling outside in the cold with my setup to get it aligned. The Mount control window isn't that comfortable to use, so when I found out that joystick control was possible, I wanted to control my mount with a joystick.

I have a Raspberry Pi with Astroberry running to which all my equipment is connected (mount and camera's).
On my local PC I have KStars with Ekos. By setting up a remote connection (using the INDI Web Manager) I was able to connect remotely to my mount and camera's. I also could connect my joystick to my Raspberry Pi and control my mount with the joystick, however, I still needed to go outside to operate the joystick.

Is possible to connect to my setup remotely, but with a joystick connected to my local PC?
If so, how to configure it in such a way that I can control my mount (remotely connected) with my joystick (locally connected)?

I hope this is possible.

Kind regards,
AstroRunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jurgen Doreleijers
3 years 1 month ago #67407

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Go ahead and tell me if I'm wrong but does your setup look something like the below?

So basically you're asking if a INDIlib servers can be joined, running your original one outside together with a new one inside. Looking at:
"indilib.org/what-is-indi/features.html" it mentions "intermediate servers" however in www.clearskyinstitute.com/INDI/INDI-1.5.pdf it becomes clear from the drawing on p.2 that is not what you could use in my glansing impression. Sorry, I'm of no help ;-)

Jasem might have written up some manual for it though as promised at: indilib.org/forum/wish-list/811-connecti...di-servers.html#7055 ;-)

"Chaining" seems to be possible but I don't know if it's desirable for the small problem you try to solve. Nighty night.
3 years 1 month ago #67418
Attachments:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, my setup looks very much like that, (I see I need to update my image for the new setup with joystick ;) )

The solution posted in indilib.org/forum/wish-list/811-connecti...di-servers.html#7055 could work. I will give it a try today.
Even though it might not be the desired solution for this small inconvenience, it would be nice to see what INDI is capable of.

Thanks.

Regards AstroRunner
3 years 1 month ago #67435

YES! I managed to get it working :woohoo:

I found out that I don't even have to do anything on my Raspberry Pi. Just connect the cables to my mount and camera's and start Astroberry Server. It is even possible to start it in CLI mode (command line interface). No UI necessary.

Here is how I did it:
Locally I connect my joystick to my computer and in a command prompt I start an INDI server for my joystick using "indiserver -v indi_joystick".
Then I start KStars on my local PC and configure a remote setup in EKOS.
Mode: Remote, Host: Raspberry Pi IP address (pressing the Scan button will automatically fill that in), Port: 7624.
Check the INDI Web Manager checkbox.
Select the Mount, CCD, Guider and for Aux 1: joystick
Remote: "*@<local_pc_ip_addres>:7624" because the indi server for the joystick is running on the local pc.
And of course select the Primary and Guide scopes.
Then start the INDI Web Manager and create a new profile (e.g. called "Remote Setup")
For local drivers select the Mount, CCD and Guider (e.g. SynScan, Canon DSLR and ZWO CCD).
For remote drivers enter "indi_joystick@<local_pc_ip_addres>"
Then press the Start button in the INDI Web Manager.
Save the Ekos Profile and connect to it.
In the SynScan tab, subtab Options click on the Joystick Enable button.
You can assign the various joystick axis and buttons in the SynScan Joystick subtab.

That's it, with these settings you should be able to control you mount with a locally connected joystick.

Jurgen, thanks for the hints.

Kind regards,

AstroRunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Patrick.
3 years 1 month ago #67447
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds