INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pegasus PPB - how to control power to Stellarmate box, using KStar/Ekos

• Thank you received: 0
I plan to buy a power controller like Pegasus PPB, and among other things, want to be able to cycle the power to Stellarmate(SM) Rasp pi box.  (My system is a Mac running KStars/Ekos, usually using 'remote' mode [profile settings] for scope, and observatory is on roof of house, and I have ethernet cable connecting observatory to my router).   

Do I understand this correctly, that in order to be able to cycle power to SM, using PPB, I will need to run an Ekos profile in local mode, that links only to the PPB (and maybe a dummy camera), and thru this I can cycle power to SM ?  (where I"m assuming PPB  is wired to router via ethernet (and USB-ethernet adaptor, at PPB.)).  Then, after power turned on to SM, I disconnect that local mode profile, and reconnect with my main telescope profile (which normally will be running in remote mode)?    Is that the way to do this??

Or, alternatively, for PPB power control to SM,  maybe don't need to run Ekos at all, if there is a standalone program that can run on a mac..? ?  
Or yet another option, run 2 sessions of KStars, one that links to PPB using local mode profile, then have the separate session for remote mode (when SM has power.) to control the telescope? 

thanks
Glen
2 years 8 months ago #73754

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Glen,

It kinda depends on the type of powerbox you want to buy and how you are planning on powering the Pi.
Also, Powering off is not the problem. But how are you going to power on is the INDI server running on your Pi is offline?

I own a PocketPowerBoxAdvanced, If you power your Pi with a 12v to 5v. cable, you can turn on and off the power to those outputs from the INDI driver panel.
The PPBA can turn off the 4 main 12v outputs all for with one button not individually. And the adjustable 3v-12v output has a separate switch. (see screenshot.)
I understand that the Ultimate Powerbox can cycle each output individually, although I'm not sure so please double-check.

If you plan on powering your Pi over the dedicated USB output (I just found out that it doesn't supply enough power in my situation)
there is no way to cycle the power. The USB cycling feature is not supported in INDI I think it has to do with how Linux addresses USB ports.

File Attachment:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Remco Hekker.
2 years 8 months ago #73811

• Thank you received: 2
I was considering powering my Pi from the Pegasus UPB V2 but in the end I didn't.
I have the Pegasus mounted on the dovetail and the Pi on the extension column, only two cables then run to any movable parts. That's power to the Pegasus and a usb to the Pi.
2 years 8 months ago #73816

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds