INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Slew to target fails after meridian flip

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all, my setup worked flawlessly for the last 3 months (remote observatory), but over the last 3 nights it had a disappointing behavior after the meridian flip: its slews across the meridian and then it loops into aligning without actually re-centering the target.
Apparently this happens only with high altitude targets but I did not set any mount limits in Ekos.
At first I believed in a mechanical issue of the HEQ5 mount (some backlash or telescope hitting a tripod leg), but I physically went to inspect the setup and this is not the case. 
When the issue happens, Kstars/Ekos correctly show where the scope is pointing in the sky, plate solving works and the target object is set, therefore Ekos correctly calculates the alignment error.
Kstars shows the marker where the scope is pointing and this matches the plate solve rectangle.
When Ekos tries to "slew to target" due to error accuracy not met, scope does not move, nor expected scope position marker moves in Kstars.
This behavior seems to lead into a software problem rather than electrical or mechanical (I would see the scope position moving in Kstars then).
Do you have any idea where to look into finding the problem? 
I enclose a screenshot of the log of one of these sessions where after the flip it loops into alignment and fails.
Many thanks! Fabio
2 years 4 months ago #78465
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Fabio,
I observed the same problem a couple weeks ago, but my explanation was a mechanical problem or a problem with the mount model. After a reset of the mount model, the alignment went well. But it could also be that enough time had elapsed and the target wasn’t in a critical position any more.

Do you have the logs? I could take a look.

Wolfgang
2 years 4 months ago #78533

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, thanks for the reply, I also figured that a reset of the alignment of the mount after flip may help, I have the flip in 45min, we will see now :-)
Meanwhile I attach the log of that session, it seems to me that ekos sends the command slew but the mount won't do it for some reason.Hi, thanks for the reply, I also figured that a reset of the alignment of the mount after flip may help, I have the flip in 45min, we will see now :-)
Meanwhile I attach the log of that session, it seems to me that ekos sends the command slew but the mount won't do it for some reason.  

File Attachment:

File Name: log_05-54-...lign.txt
File Size:1,851 KB
2 years 4 months ago #78543
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds