INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian Flip confusion

• Thank you received: 1
Hi again,

A quick update; I thought I solved the problem, but unfortunately not.
I did a complete reset of the mount with the hand controller ("Reset All Settings"), set home position and so on.
Then I got the meridian flip to work - only once (log attached) - but after that it behaves like before again...

The mount status is set to "Idle" exactly when the target object crosses the meridian.
If there was the possibility to set a negative number in Ekos "Flip if HA >" I could probably have it work.

I'm going crazy on this!

// Åke
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Åke Liljenberg.
2 years 2 months ago #79216
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any ideas on what to do/try next? I'm going nuts... 
No one else has this problem?
Cheers, Åke
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Åke Liljenberg.
2 years 2 months ago #79334

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ron Clanton on topic Meridian Flip confusion

I'm not sure that I can help... but since the last update I have problems with the MF. In my case, the mount tries to flip... but fails. It then retries in a few minutes and succeeds. It's like the mount doesn't think that it is past meridian. I suspected a synchronization problem, but the settings in EKOS is set to update the mount... so shouldn't be an issue.

I'm starting to think that EKOS is not truly updating the mount... but don't know how to check.

I've attached my log if anyone wants to have a look.  The first MF attempt is around 22:18.

Ron
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Ron Clanton.
2 years 2 months ago #79336
Attachments:

Hi Ron,

It's not exactly the same problem I have, but I recognise yours since I had similar issues earlier.
For you I guess the time and/or location are different in KStars vs your mount. Please make sure you let Kstars update both of those.

My problem is that (it seems) the mount stops the tracking each time it passes the meridian, even if I set it to stop 5 degrees past the meridian.

I hope someone has a clue why this happens.

// Åke
2 years 2 months ago #79339

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ron Clanton on topic Meridian Flip confusion

Ake,

Yeah, I checked the setting in EKOS and it is correct. I haven't had any response from StellarMate support on my problem.

I may have missed it... but what kind of mount do you have?  Have you tried calling their technical support?

Ron
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Ron Clanton.
2 years 2 months ago #79340

• Thank you received: 370
Åke, I checked your logs. The first three logs you posted show all the same behavior: there is a slew to a certain position, that succeeds, but in none of the cases EKOS recognizes the necessity of a meridian flip ( I guess you slew to a position close, but east of the meridian) and then either the mount stops tracking (log 1 and 3) or parks (log 2). There is something configured in your mount that triggers this, it does not look like something that EKOS triggers.

In the latest log (that one that has been posted as a single one) the meridian flip seems to succeeds, but immediately after the flip the mount parks. I have no explanation what triggers this parking.

@Ron: in your case, it's different. The meridian flip is triggered by EKOS, but your mount decides not to switch the counterweight position. It seems like EKOS and your mount hardware do not agree whether the position it's pointing to is before or after the meridian. EKOS thinks it's beyond the meridian, your mount has a different opinion. The explanation for this is typically a time or location gap between both. If not, it typically helps increasing the meridian flip delay.

HTH
Wolfgang
2 years 2 months ago #79343

Hi Wolfgang,
Thanks for the reply.
What you see is exactly my problem.
The slews and parkings are made manually by me (from within Ekos), not by Ekos nor the mount itself.

I slew to a position near (1 or 2 degrees) and west of the meridian. then, after a few minutes, exactly when the mount reaches the meridian, it stops tracking.
So Ekos correctly haven't yet seen the necessity to do the flip.

The mount is configured to stop 5 degrees after the meridian and Ekos 2 degrees after the meridian.
In the CEM40's hand controller there is no way to disable the meridian treatment, I can only choose between STOP or FLIP and choose degrees between +0 and +14.
I even tried +14 but it doesn't help, the tracking still stops at the meridian.

I will check if it makes a differens to choose FLIP instead in the hand controller.
I will also test to set everything and then disconnect Ekos and see if it the mount behaves differently when it's "on its own".

Cheers, Åke
2 years 2 months ago #79347

That's really strange. But I would really be surprised if this behavior results from EKOS. Have you tried to get an answer from an iOptron Forum or their support?
2 years 2 months ago #79359

OK, so I have made several tests now and have come to the conclusion that the mount doesn't persist the meridian limit I set with the hand controller.

So if I set a new value, e.g. 6 deg (Ekos 2 deg as always) and start tracking somewhat west of the meridian, the it works as expected and Ekos flips when it passed the meridian by 2 deg.
If I then turn off and on the mount, check that the hand controller still shows 6 deg, start a tracking west of meridian, then the mount decides to flip exactly at the meridian. I.e. as I would have set it to zero deg...!
If I then again change the value (arbitrary, let's say 5 deg) and do the tracking again, then it works as expected (i.e. Ekos flips 2 deg after the meridian).

So I need to always have the hand controller connected and always change the flip limit in the hand controller before the session for it to behave as expected.

To me this looks like a bug in CEM40, right? Shouldn't the mount persist the value from the hand controller? Or at least use the current value in the hand controller?
Btw, a workaround could be if it would be possible to set a negative limit number in Ekos. In that case a zero value in the mount is fine. Is there any chance to allow this in a future version of Ekos?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
// Åke
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Åke Liljenberg. Reason: Added suggestion to a chance in Ekos
2 years 2 months ago #79360

I agree, It's probably not Ekos.
I'll try to get in contact with iOptron, and keep you informed here.
Thanks a lot for your support.
// Åke
2 years 2 months ago #79363

Maybe you search here in the forum for other iOptron-Users.
2 years 2 months ago #79364

Hi,

I was in contact with iOptron support. They recommended me to upgrade the mount firmware.
So I upgraded from 210105 -> 210605 and can now confirm that it works fine with Stellarmate v1.6.1

So it turned out to be a bug in the mount firmware - good to know for any CEM40/45 user out there!

Thanks for your support in this forum!
Cheers, Åke
2 years 2 months ago #79408

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds