INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Inconsistent image resolution between Lights and Darks

• Thank you received: 8
Hi everyone,

I'm using a fully updated version of Stellarmate to capture images with a Canon Ra. Last night, everything won't ok and I managed to capture Lights, Darks and Flats. But when using Pixinsight to post-process, I ran into a strange problem: darks resolution are slightly different from lights and flats.

CR3 : 6742 x 4498 (light and flat)
Fits: 6720 x 4480 (dark)        !!! data given by constructor

I initially wanted to capture darks in CR3 format, but for one reason or another, I ended up with fits.

I don't understand why kstars increases the resolution of CR3 files by a slight amount (21 pixels horizontal and 18 pixels vertical).

Is it a misconfiguration on my side, a feature (?!), a bug?

It's a shame because I have a lot of data but I am stuck in the calibration step. I'm trying to see if I can decrease image resolution of lighs and flats in order to match darks' resolution, but since I'm beginning this activity, it's far from obvious to me. Maybe there's another way...?

Thanks for any help. 

EDIT:

After some digging, it seems that the image settings in the indi panel was wrong. I tried to correct the values but first I received the following error message:

Subframing is only supported in FITS transport mode

Got passed that by setting FITS in transport mode in the same panel. It was set to Native. And then I could change the image resolution to the constructor one.

Next question is what is the difference between FITS transport mode and Native transport mode? (What is a transport mode?)

EDIT2:

Still collecting some information. It seems that it's impossible to have the same image resolution with FITS and CR3. Whatever settings, capturing in cr3 will always increase image resolution compared to constructor specs. And there is some kind of confusion between the indi control panel (where FITS is called "transport mode") and the ekos capture panel where it is called "Format". It seems that both are the same.

So conclusion is that if I want to be consistent, I should capture in FITS format, is that right? Now it's not clear to me if fits is raw format with some sort of added metadata or if it's somekind of processed data (so lost information). 
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Steve.
2 years 3 months ago #79345

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
I don't *think* there is a way to make the .CR3 files match the .fits files. But it should be possible to re-shoot darks and make sure they are getting saved as .CR3 (easier than re-shooting the lights, for sure!).

You want to make sure you have your settings correct in the future anyway, so you are always working either in .CR3 or .fits. When I use my 700D, I always use .CR2 for everything so I can read the sensor temp in the exif header to match lights to my darks library.
2 years 3 months ago #79354

• Thank you received: 8

I don't understand why. Ekos *adds* some pixels to the .CR3 files, what are those pixels doing and why are they added?

For the rest, it's clear that one should not mix formats. I always read "shoot in raw format", what I do, but for whatever reason, I ended up with darks in fits format... ;(

EDIT: do you see my quotes? I don't...

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Steve.
2 years 3 months ago #79355

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds