INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Further frustrations - plate solving/polar alignment

• Thank you received: 2
Following resintalling Stellarmate due to the beta borking the installation I spent the evening under clear skys trying to set things up again. Initially I could not polar align because of warnings that the it would cause the median to be crossed, despite kstars showing the mount pointing at the NCP. This was eventually solved by clearing mount model, switching off, finding it no longer pointed to the NCP  and then making the mount slew to this position (yep, the dec axis went a full 360 degrees despite not being that far off from the pole), then writing this as the new park position. This seems to be a consistent bug that I have reported previously as have others... 

The next problem became apparent and made me give up in frustration. I tried to polar align again using the align module as I have before. It initally gave an error of not enough stars check field of view index files etc. I then turned on logging and it would not plate solve. Following turning on logging I then slewed to cassieopea and trried to plate solve with polar scope set up initally, and then dslr on main scope. Same thing - getting a message that it has failed. I have checked focal length, sensor settings etc and all correct. I have astap and the the H17 database installed as well as internal solver databases etc. Can anybody help? I have attached logs. 

2 years 1 week ago #81449
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
I have faced similar problems using ASTAP as solver with my ASI120mm. Have you tried the internal solver?
2 years 1 week ago #81455

I did - basically triied all options. I am hoping somebody will look at the logs and give me some kind of idea what the problem is.
2 years 1 week ago #81456

2 years 1 week ago #81465

• Thank you received: 33
If you use internal solver and post logs it might help others read them more easily. At the moment the logs dont show what ASTAP is doing and why it cant find a solution
2 years 1 week ago #81480

OK. Will try with that tonight and post logs.
2 years 1 week ago #81482

StellarSolver and updated KStars are now also available to try.
2 years 1 week ago #81501

The good news was that polar align worked with the internal solver. 

The bad news. We seem to be back to a situation where Kstarts does not seem to know where the mount is. I had a very frustrating (to say the least) 2 hours trying to get the mount to go to. It did not seem to know where it was in the sky. The sky map on Kstars appeared to show the mount going to its chosen target. The mount itself however, was pointing in a completely didnt place. For example, as a test, I told it to go to Capella which was located in a roughly north westerly direction. The cursor in Kstars shows mount going there. However, the telescope was actually point in a more south easterly direction. I have tried purging model, resetting polar alignment and still same result. I have also checked time, location, date (also did sync GPS from the App) and this appears correct. If I try to plate solve, it will of course not work as the telescope is pointing so far away from where Kstars thinks it is. I can post logs later. 

This is another clear night wasted. I appear to back where I was a year ago with the mount not behaving as it should, despite doing so when using windows hardware and software. It is hard to put into words how annoying this is. When the software works it is great, but there seem to be so many problems that crop up. This current lot was a result of the flats not behaving as expected and being instructed by Jassem to instal the beta, which screwed up the whole thing with a reinstall being needed as I could not even access the control panel!

To reiterate. These issues do not seem to  be present using the same equipment on windows platforms (APT/NINA). Could it be a corrupted settings file? If so how do I replace it? Or should I just go back to windows based solutions and sell Stellarmate?
2 years 1 week ago #81503

• Thank you received: 19
You have liklely have checked this, but does Kstars have the correct physical location (ie: GPS is correct)?

jmh
2 years 1 week ago #81517

See post above. Double checked and synced gps from app.
2 years 1 week ago #81520

Richard, can you please edit your signature and add your equipment there? I cannot guess what mount/camera...etc you have.

SM OS v1.7.0 stable is now out so you can try that, but let's find out which equipment you are using first before making any recommendations.
2 years 1 week ago #81522

Signature now has equipment added. Will attach logs later. However, it is similar to problems I had and posted about previously. As I said, it was working fine previously, but due to the beta screwing the whole thing up, I had to do a clean install and this is where I am. The equipment has not changed.
2 years 1 week ago #81529

Time to create page: 1.562 seconds